4th Gen Auto 5R55 to Manual M5OD - progress (not a How-to) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen Auto 5R55 to Manual M5OD - progress (not a How-to)

ANYONE WANT TO SLIDE UNDER THEIR 3RD GEN AND SEE WHERE THE BLACK TCASE (heavy gauge) WIRE GOES? (That would be very kind.. especially if you have snow like i do right now. Hahahah)

oh man..... if it will help my 1998 4wd 4.0 that blew up is in a garage but its 15 miles in a direction I rarely drive what wire are you talking about and is it easy to find I might be able to get over there and take some pictures soon...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Tom. Yup.. a 2006 I've got.

I figure I will simply turn off all the codes triggered codes relating to the auto. That's a lot easier. ... also making progress on the speedo.

Yeah I don't know if that's easier cause there are multiple modules that looks for different things that's you have took out example transmission temp! That's looked at by the ecm for if car is cold or hot and wether to have a high pressure shift or low pressure shift. There are just to many things to just delete and there might be others things that would effect example like how you fought to get reverse lights or key out because it's in neutral at least if you made a small box where all those wires that are now just hanging connected to it and made fake resistors to trick it that there is a sololinode pack and a temp sensor or a range switch this way there will be less things to delete with the computer cause you still will have codes even with it connected but some will be gone!

Just my input as far as your 4x4 it sounds like the wiring might be wrong I remember you showed me a while back what you were going to do but it looked backwards to what the 06-10 explorers have so it might just be a trial and error but I gave you the schematic for the explorer that should help a little

Tom

Also here are the connectors one for 97 explorer the other 08

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxwABT1ITWIma2VWeXp0RVo1SDg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxwABT1ITWImX3RkNmtLNXdqSVk

08 return wire is the only one idk were it goes it's either the sensor #5 or #1 on the earlier tcase my guess would be #5 ! The rest is easy

Thanks. This is a huge help. Ps... where do you get all these diagrams... I ohave a few databases i check but often the ones I want are missing. Thanks
?

oh man..... if it will help my 1998 4wd 4.0 that blew up is in a garage but its 15 miles in a direction I rarely drive what wire are you talking about and is it easy to find I might be able to get over there and take some pictures soon...

Thank you very much for the offer. At the moment I need to check th 4th gen... but I definitely may need to check yours as well in the future.

ok.. random story... had to pick up an RV in a blizzard today... and with my new ClassIII hitch... it was the only one of 7 vehicles here at my house that could do it. LOL. Soooo... took out the truck (with the ~3000rpm limiter and 2wd)... and gave it a tug-around.

Turns out the ABS is working great... .but speedo still not working.
[MENTION=292133]08Exploder[/MENTION]... cant remember now... did we confirm that the speedo was from the ABS system ? I figured since I didn't do anything with the ABS.. the truck must be looking for a sensor output from my original trans... I hooked up my old auto speed sensor wires to the new Ranger speedo but I still don't get any speed. Since that trans (the original auto one) has THREE speed sensors in it... I'm gonna keep trying one by one (I also have to try them in reverse polairty).

...one other thought... Is it possible my truck won't send a speed signal to the dash unless it is "out of neutral"? If so... I permanently wired it to think it's always in neutral.

anyway.. thats where I'm at now... tomorrow will do a bit more tinkering.

:)

I use alldata it's a website with auto repair you pay for a subscription it's a one year or 5 year and no more than I think 50 a car for 5 year so worth it!

Also being in neutral would be a problem! Try placing the truck into drive and see if speedo works! The website says the speed is from the abs module from the wheel speed sensors!

Tom

Double checked wiring diagrams the only speed input is from the abs which talks to modules on a can bus to the smart junction box and the pcm and the instrument cluster all on a can bus like I said before it might be trying to see things that are in the transmission but aren't there which could tell the rest of the modules I don't know that module etc! I had a problem when I used an 08 f150 nav radio in my explorer a lot of functions wouldn't work! Once it was programmed to say I'm here talk to me things then worked! Sometimes certain modules rely on different sensors to correct one and other so even though the speed is from abs it might say don't record speed unless output shaft is grater than 1.0v and the gear is in D,R,1 etc

Tom

Thats what I was afraid of. I could probably connect all 3 speed sensors together to the ranger s manual trans speedo so they get reasonable signals.... then use a resistor on everything else. Dang... would be nice to have that auto still here.

I will call Don Lasota at and see if this is something programable. If so... he might know. It would be nice to just force the speedo to just read the abs. I think it is working but just programmed to see something... cause when I start the truck the speedo energizes and goes from the bottom to 0. And... the truck drives fine but then when slipping the abs senses the differential speed between wheels and operates correctly. We will see.... alll good ideas to get me going..

I would first try and see if putting truck in D and driving it will make the speedo work! Then go from there but the speedo cluster is a module which talks to other modules for the speed there is no cable or direct wire like old trucks etc! I would also pull codes again and see what you have stored in the instrument cluster! It might say no input from some sensor etc

Tom

Yup. Only codes now are just 4 auto trans related codes. I will do as you say and try that.

I think I might be able to use the new floor foot clutch switch to "change" between "fake neutral" and "fake drive/1st/or any other forward gear". I'll try dive first and see if it works.

I'll also look ino the other code of the 4 that may be related (3 of them are shift solenoid range codes)

Thanks for all the help

Favor to ask... re-wiring neutral is a big task now as it is quite inaccessible now. It's doable.. but very inconvenient. Tom.. since you have an 08.... could you let your truck roll down the hill while idling and in neutral and check for any speedo activity? That would be amazing. No rush... I can wait if you are able.

Lol yes I can do that for you I will do it tonight prob by 11:59 pm I will post the answer on here if the speedo works in neutral on a hill! But just one question to ask how are you removing your key if your car is in neutral? Or do you have it in park? Or a switch to put it in park?

Tom

DON'T REMOVE KEY!.. Your steering will lock. Keep it running... just move the floor shifter to N. You CAN do that while running... just not P. (You don't wanna do P anyway while moving or you can breat something

Ps. To remove key... (without a floor shifter once truck is parked and off) I manually engage a switch to release the key. I will remove this from the stearin g column when I figure out the speedo.

Ok did your request in 2 ways 1st way was while driving placed in neutral truck read speedo change so then went to a hill placed truck in neutral turned truck off started truck and let it roll and yup it read a speed! So my question is on yours are you wired in park? Or neutral if neutral then something is wrong could have a blown fuse seeing you can check codes for instrument cluster! Also in neutral just because it's neutral doesn't mean parts aren't spinning a auto trans has a torque converter which is always spinning along with the input shaft which on this trans has a sensor for but to be honest I think it has to be a blown fuse or a module link error!

Tom

Here is another check! When you start moving do your doors lock after a certain speed? Make sure that setting is enabled in your info display because if they auto lock then your bcm knows the truck is moving! So would be an error between the instrument cluster

Tom

Here is a folder of some elect diagrams to help you!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxwABT1ITWImekZSNlh3b2ZrZ28

Now looking at the transmission diagram I notice that there are multiple input wires to the tcm from the range sensor when in park and or neutral! Did you reconnect that circuit? Or just tap into the things you needed like for starting, and for removing the key? If you didn't complete the circuit look there! Cause everything has a common link with a can bus and my guess is the tcm says your in park even though you have 1 wire in neutral you might be missing a few etc

Tom

The most simplest thing would be is to just plug in the range sensor and move it to neutral and see if that solves it but I bet you don't have a range sensor cause that's with the transmission! Plus I bet the connector is cut off by now any way lol

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep... I cut it off. Haha. Fortunately I haven't cleaned up my garage yet and it's still on the floor. Hahaha.

In general... I rewired several wires AND a resistor to fake neutral. So my system believes it's in neutral cause I couldn't get the 4x4 module to operate any other way.

Those wiring diagrams are great. I'll dig into them later (at work.. lol) and see what else I can do.

I actually just replaced the cluster about 5000 kms ago so it's new. I will still check fuses but no codes. Also.. with the all the inputs from the trans show oñ the diagrams... I still think it's one of those three shaft speed sensors from the old auto. Just a hunch.

Back