Pugly | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it isn't peeing it isn't alive :D

I'm glad it seems to be running well for you:chug:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well, that repair didn't last long. :(

It was doing 60 mph, and all of a sudden, it made a growling noise, and acted as if the brakes had been hit hard. It lasted for a few seconds, then let up. 20 miles later, the growl came back, and didn't stop until it was parked back home. When placed into park, the trans jumped, and something thumped the floor underneath. :dunno:

First thing that comes to mind is the converter. The t-case has always been fine, and was working well before the trans swap. Could the Explorer Gremlins attacked the t-case just to spite me? :scratch:

Either way this sucker needs more work. I have a 60 day warranty on the trans, BUT who knows if they have a decent replacement for it. Ugh...

I'm still sore from the swap last weekend. I'm not feeling the motivation to do it again so soon. If Pugly keeps giving me reasons to retire her, she is going to get her wish, and real soon too.

Pls don't let a sas'd explorer die.

The amazing part is that your sas has actually sounded like it had been an amazing swap with very few issues. Your other parts sound like they are wearing out though.

Ah, to have the space, money, and time to play with this stuff.

I, for one, sure wish I had the 3 above things to have a off road vehicle to take out a couple times a year. My turbo explorer would tow it on a flatbed with no problem. Wait..........

The sas'd explorer would probably end up being the one towing my turbo explorer on the flatbed. lol.

Can you walk away from the whole thing for a few weeks? That really seems to help.

Dono, She isn't SAS. Just a suspension/body lift sitting on 35's with both axles swapped/upgraded. The amount of work done to her over the last 10 years, has been both fun, and aggravating. If that makes sense. lol

The laundry list of new/newish parts is a mile long, with plenty of upgrades, and modifications done over the years. she has done very well, and it has been a pleasure to operate her when she is feeling fine.

However... She has been as needy as Trumps ex wives, and a never ending money sucking pit of disparity. I am at the point, that I am tired of paying just to keep her operating. I feel I have replaced everything except the Engine so far, and that is just around the corner with 250k miles on it.

I have not gone back out to mess with it yet, but I will tomorrow if I can clear my work schedule. I have already canceled my weekend appointments so I can get the trans pulled. Pugly is my work horse, and she carries the tools needed for my job. I don't have another vehicle to do that right now.

I am about to call the place where the trans came from, and see how they work the warranty for it. I will update this post when I find out.

Edit: The place the used trans came from is not answering the phone. Hmm.. I will deal with them later.
Benji thought of a trans shop he had previously used. They rebuild & sell used transmissions with longer warranties for just about the same price as the used boat anchor I just installed. It even comes with a brand new converter. :banghead:

I am trying to get to them before they close today, so I can swap them this weekend. If not, I have to wait until next week as they are closed on weekends.

Edit # 2: With Benji's help, we went and picked up the warrantied/ guaranteed rebuilt transmission this evening. :) I fired up the heater in the garage, cranked up the tunes, and went at it for a while. Dropped the T-case, starter, all wiring, 4 of 8 trans bolts, and all thats left is the lines, cross member, and 4 trans bolts.

Edit # 3: Saturday after work, I got the trans out. But thats as far as I got. Too tired to do anymore.

Sunday, I spent most of the day cleaning under the rig, flushing the radiator, trans cooler, and lines. I also cleaned the T-case, drained it, and put new fluids in. Man I made a mess of the garage doing all that too. I think I spent as much time cleaning the floor as anything else. LOL! I will spend the evening getting the new transmission stabbed, and bolted up. Fighting the TC studs, and getting the trans pushed in & mated alone sucks. All that climbing under & out repeatedly is for the young guys. Turn the crank, put on a TC nut, repeat, repeat, repeat. Ugh!! But hey, I am grateful I have another good trans now, so take my complaints with a grain of sand. :D

It's in, but only bolted to the engine, and cross member. I ran out of steam, and suffering a bad shoulder. It refused to go on any longer. I cleared my Monday work schedule, and will finish it up then.

Trans swap #2 update:

So.. the saga continues for this debacle.

I wrapped up the install a couple days ago. Went to start the engine to fill the trans completely, and no crank. Took me a while to figure out the P/N switch supplied by the trans shop was no good. I dropped the front shaft, and swapped it with my old one I still had from trans #1 that I swapped it on. It cranked right up, and I filled the system. Took 9.5 quarts for the converter & trans, and another 1/2 qt to replace what was in the cooling system. I also changed the 1354e fluids with 1.4 qts.

After the warm up, and fluid level was settled, it was time for a test run around the block. There was all kind of weird noises going on right off the bat. Suspension was squeaking from being on stands and drooped for so long is all I could think of. Then I sped up, but it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. Hmm...

After letting it cool down, I was able to jam my arm over the cats to check the modulator vac line. Yup, it was disconnected. Managed to get it on, and test run #2 commenced. Around the block taking it easy.. seemed fine and now shifts. I'm, starting to smile now. Am I in the clear, and life can resume to normal? Hold the phone.....

So it passed the gentle around the block at 30 mph, lets take it out on a larger road with higher speeds allowed. Ok, a right turn at this stop sign, no traffic around, lets stomp it a bit from a stop and see what happens.

Stab the skinny pedal, as it takes the turn, and I think the right rear tire spins, so I back off a bit, and stab it again, and bring it up to hwy speed. Shifts fine, but those weird street noises are still happening. Hmm...

So, as a test, I pull up to my driveway, stop, turn the wheel to the right, and stab the skinny pedal. Same results, feels like it spun the tire. let off, and coast into it's parking spot. I walk back to the street to inspect the tire mark it left going up into the driveway. I find NOTHING.

So The trans is slipping in 1st gear when getting on it. FML! I'm hoping it is nothing but a simple band adjustment needed, and try to stay optimistic. I call the trans shop, tell them what happened, and they tell me to bring it to them and they will fix whatever the issue is. Thank Gawd it is a fully warrantied trans. The owner & techs at this shop seem to be very up & up, and an honest pleasure to work with. I wish I used them from the start. So Monday it goes on the lift, and diagnose/repair begins. I am so glad it is not me having to do the wrenching from here on out with that thing. My body just can't take any more right now, it needs some serious re-coop time before the next project begins. lol

I will update again after the shop looks at it. Stay tuned!!

Hang in there. We're all pullin' for ya.

Thanks gentlemen. I hope it is not a big deal for them to fix it up. I am thinking a few weeks rest at the least for my shoulder to feel better. It hurts to put a shirt on right now. lol, always something!

Good news is the place that sold me the bad trans agreed to take it back & return the funds. Big shout out to Benji for taking care of this for me. Big dinner of all you can eat King Crab legs is on me buddy!

Edit!!!!
The trans shop said because it is only slipping in 1st, it is safe to drive it to them (30 miles on the hwy). I'm thinking ok, lets take it for another spin to make sure it will do that safely. Started it up this morning, put into gear, and nothing. No gears. Ok, it's cold out, hmm... Check the fluid level, and the dip reads a qt low. Ok.. the coolant system was drained and cleaned, maybe it needs more. I warm it up, and sure enough, it goes into gear. Ok, low fluids, has to be it. I run to the store with it to get more fluids. As soon as I get on a 45 mph road, and as I bring it up to speed, the rig gets louder and louder like a bad tire or carrier bearing hum. THEN, I hear what sounds like a random no rhythm percolating squealing noise coming from the trans. Some random thumps, knocking noises start happening as I go. I turn around and take it back home. Check the fluid level, and the dip reads perfectly full. :scratch:

So.. if it was low enough on fluids to not go into gear cold, but reads full warm, I'm not sure WTF is going on.
So... with the noises it is now making, I do not feel comfortable driving it 30 miles city hwy miles to them.

It's gonna need a Tow. :(

I don't think she likes me anymore....

Pugly refuses to cooperate with me. She is kicking & screaming and seems she wants me to put her down more & more, everyday. :(

So I talked to the tow service, told them to use a rollback, and they agreed it was the best way. Guy shows up with a regular wrecker tow truck. SMH.

He hooks it from the rear, and straps the tires to the lift arms, and off he goes on his 30 mile trip.

This morning the Trans shop calls me and says the trans had a bad valve body, and they replaced it, and thats all good, BUT... There is NO brakes, and the peddle goes to the floor. WTF? They worked perfectly when I backed it onto the street for the tow truck. WTH is going on?

I cancel all my appointments for the day, and run out there to inspect it myself. I look it over, and can't find a single leak anywhere, but the pedal does indeed go to the floor. Ok..must be a fluke thing, and the Master gave up when it got there. So I go get a new master, swap it out and I can't get the brakes to bleed. Tried gravity, pedal pumping, and a vacuum bleed. Nada, no way Jose, ain't happening. :scratch:

So next door to the trans shop was this Mom & Pop auto shop. I walk down and ask them if they can try to bleed this thing, as I can't for some reason. They were winding down their workday, and getting close to closing, but said they would help me out. Nice!

They put it on the lift, and it's easier to look for a leak. So I walk around with the owner of this place, and I lean against the front passenger side tire, and it moves inward. Not a little, but a lot. I grab the wheel, and it was as if the lugs were barely on. Umm... WTF?

So we remove the wheel, and find the issue. The rear bearing must have gave out and spun as it was being towed there. the carnage done is:

Rotor - Both inner/outer bearings & races, Rotor seal, Spindle, ABS sensor, and soft brake hose. The 6 month old rotor was slamming against the knuckle in one spot and wasted it. :eek: How the tow truck driver didn't notice this is beyond me. That front end had to have been wobbling like crazy!

I went and got new rotor, bearings/races, and seal, while he was trying to find a spindle. The store didn't have the hoses. He couldn't get the spindle. No choice but to wait until tomorrow to get the other parts, and do the work. I had already kept him past his closing time. This entire 2 week ordeal has drained me, physically, mentally, and financially. :thumbdwn:

Pugly is now having a sleep over in a strangers house, miles from home. I think she meant for this to happen. I don't know what I did to piss her off so bad, but she don't like me much lately. So I still don't have the rig back and still am out a work truck. (can you feel my stress?)

I still have not been able to test the trans out yet, so I'm not even sure I'm passed that debacle yet either. FML.

Attachments

• spindle damage.jpg
    spindle damage.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 208
  • bad bearing race.jpg
    bad bearing race.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 209
  • blown rotor seal.jpg
    blown rotor seal.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 201

You will get over this rough spot in the road.
You just have to wonder what you did to deserve this sometimes.

One of these days I'll have to tell you my story for the last 6 years. I can completely sympathize with you on this. No matter what you do, how much you do, or how you do it, the hits just keep coming.

Someone told me once that times like these it feels as if there's an elephant blocking a staircase you need get up. This leaves you only one solution, eat that S.O.B. one bite at a time. Just prioritize and focus on one little thing at a time. Each step is a victory and another middle finger in the face of whatever evil power is doing this.

Hang in there buddy, just keep eating that elephant and you'll make it to the other side.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

I ended up getting a purple 94 Limited for a parts rig. Started stripping it yesterday. I forgot how much it sucks to work on something that old and parts that have never been removed/replaced since the day it was created. :banghead:

Pugly's pass side knuckle has damage at the brake pad keeper, and I'm afraid it won't hold the inner pad very well, as it is 60% gone. So far getting the knuckle off the parts rig has been a major PITA. It seems time & rust makes for a good weld. LOL. Had to destroy the ABS sensor to get it to back out of the hole. Had to cut the upper BJ retainer spring to remove it. Had to soak the spindle with PB Blaster, and carefully chisel/hammer it off. The cotter pin broke off inside the lower BJ castle nut. I have to use a small pin bar and tap it out. Letting the BJ's soak overnight, and hopefully they come out without much a fight. (yeah right)

I will strip all the Limited goodies from this parts rig and sell them off. Keep the front axles, t-case, starter, ALT, for Pugly spares. Sell the working A4LD. Might keep the 4.0, but not sure yet. Rear axles & both driveline's will be trail spares for the 95. Then it is off to the scrap yard.

Lots of wrenching in my immediate future. Now, I just need to find a spare parts for my body. Like a shoulder, and back. lol

Ball joints are in my near future as well as all the tie rods on the 94 too, and I'm not looking forward to it. So far, (knock on wood) nothing on this truck has givin me too much trouble, but it doesn't have much rust either. I did fail to even crack loose the stud for the spring pads on both sides. Other than that, almost everything has taken me longer than it should, but part of that is having my toolbox in storage 30 mins away, only 2 stock jacks that came with the trucks to work with, no pneumatic tools of any kind, and a tiny 1 car garage with zero space to start with which also has a full size couch at the front of the garage that we were told we could get rid of, but It is kind of a nice place to sit while I work on other things, plus I don't have a trailer to take it and donate it anywhere. And we are required to keep a fullsize trash, AND recycle bin in the garage also. But one way or another, we ALWAYS win.

Congrats on the parts truck!! I wouldn't mind having a 1st and 2nd gen around for some parts once in a while. Just my 2 cents, but if you're planning on keeping her for some time now, and have the space to keep it, I'd keep the motor and rebuild it, have it ready to fill and prime with oil and drop in. Maybe even do a mild build on it.

Anyway, hope the rest of it doesn't give you too much trouble, and if you do find anywhere for some new body parts, PM it to me would ya?

I just don't have time to do everything I would like. Between fixing Pugly, and getting the Black Hole ready for Moab, and that pesky Job thing, time is not available to spend on this parts rig. It needs to be gone asap. It is considered an eyesore in the driveway by my community. I will be pushing my luck after a couple weeks with it as is. Dang city ordinances. That's the main reason I'm not sure about pulling the engine, but also I have no room for it either.

I understand completely!! Wish you weren't so far off, I'd come help ya strip it down, no problem. Is it that bad looking? Or just that's it's missing parts? And since you're in the same position as me with no room, might just be best to sell that motor and use that scratch to something else you need, or want, like a chiropractor and massage appointment!!

It will be on blocks of wood with no wheels, no bumpers, no fenders, maybe missing a door, and possibly the hood off. Doesn't really look like a lawn ornament. lol

I have it on top of a few sheets of thick plywood, so the scrap man can pull it onto the flatbed, without damaging the concrete drive. Well, that's my hopes at least. :)

Why did they decide to make caliper bleeders so weak that they always strip round when you want to bleed the brakes? I would like to have a toe to toe conversation with the engineer, and the production execs that continue to use them.

Once I get the bleeder replaced, Pugly is going back in the garage, on stands, and the pass knuckle removed and the freshly cleaned, and rebuilt knuckle installed. Then new soft brake lines installed, and another bleed. Hopefully the new camber/caster bushing I got is the right one. I will update with pics later.

Why did they decide to make caliper bleeders so weak that they always strip round when you want to bleed the brakes? I would like to have a toe to toe conversation with the engineer

Lol

Maybe we could go as a group. I'd like to join in on the 'chat'. lol

Lol

Maybe we could go as a group. I'd like to join in on the 'chat'. lol

We can start a Bleeder revolution, and rebel against the Man!! :rant:

I used the Dremel and ground a flat spot on two sides of the bleeder after I removed the caliper. Used a Cresent wrench made for pipe (has teeth) and got it off. New bleeder snugged on, and Pugly is in the garage again. Took me all day to clean and rearrange to make room for it. Hope the neighbors don't mind the stacks of tires on the back porch. lol

So tomorrow rain or shine, she is getting torn down. :sawzall:

Attachments

• 20160319_181150.jpg
    20160319_181150.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 142

Back