• Register Today It's free!

GPS Module Fails

doctorpullit

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
I was wondering if anyone has had their GPS module go out and, if so, have you replaced it yourself. Does the module require any sort of programming?

My GPS module went out after having the car only two years. It cost $795 to have the Navigation feature added to Sync to begin with. Now the dealership wants $700 just to replace the GPS module that has quit working. (car out of warranty by 6000 miles). Obviously the Navigation is useless without a working GPS module.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert M.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wondering if anyone has had their GPS module go out and, if so, have you replaced it yourself. Does the module require any sort of programming?

My GPS module went out after having the car only two years. It cost $795 to have the Navigation feature added to Sync to begin with. Now the dealership wants $700 just to replace the GPS module that has quit working. (car out of warranty by 6000 miles). Obviously the Navigation is useless without a working GPS module.

Thanks,

Robert M.
Welcome to the Forum doctorpullit.:wavey:
A dentist by chance??
I have not read any posts where a member has replaced a GPS unit. The OEM GPS unit is located under the dash. If the Nav system you had added was an after market one then the GPS may be more accessible. The GPS unit does require some sort of programming. Check out the last few posts in the following thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377496

Good luck Robert.

Peter

I had mine replaced under warranty, took about 2 weeks after I bought it to realize that the compass was always on north.

Thanks,

Robert M.

Hi, Robert,

I'd like to see if there is anything I can do to help. Please send me your VIN and the details in a private message.

Rebecca

Peterk9,

Thank you for the link to the thread. I will check it out.

I just took my 2012 Explorer in because I needed an oil change and also to have the GPS looked at. My battery died a few weeks ago and the GPS hasn't worked since. I just got a call from the dealer and they said the GPS Module is bad and needs to be replaced for $500+. I think that's insane, especially since it was working just fine before the battery died. Could something have happened when we tried to jump off the vehicle?

I just took my 2012 Explorer in because I needed an oil change and also to have the GPS looked at. My battery died a few weeks ago and the GPS hasn't worked since. I just got a call from the dealer and they said the GPS Module is bad and needs to be replaced for $500+. I think that's insane, especially since it was working just fine before the battery died. Could something have happened when we tried to jump off the vehicle?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Can you be a bit more specific as to what "GPS hasn't worked since" ?
Do you have the GPS with the red X on it? Do you see that GPS icon at all on the Nav. screen or is it a tracking issue?
The GPS module is programmable and perhaps the programming was lost or corrupted somehow when you did the 'boosting' of the vehicle. Are you able to run a GPS diagnostics?

Peter

Do you have the GPS with the red X on it? Do you see that GPS icon at all on the Nav. screen or is it a tracking issue?
The GPS module is programmable and perhaps the programming was lost or corrupted somehow when you did the 'boosting' of the vehicle. Are you able to run a GPS diagnostics?

Peter

Peter is probably refering to the diagnostic menu in the sync system:

So, a friend gave me a tip yesterday. To enter MyFord Touch (Limited with Sony radio) into diagnostics mode:

- Make sure there is no CD in the system
- Set MFT to AM/FM
- Press and hold the eject button and...
- Immediately after press and hold the right arrow on the center wheel while still holding the eject button
- Hold both buttons pressed for about 12 seconds
- Screen goes black and MFT enters diagnostics mode

The system defaults to a speaker tone test which starts immediately. You can cancel it on the screen.

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Have fun :D

These videos show there is a screen that shows GPS data (how many satellites connected, etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0iuman5EEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtOn-7eDFxo

Peter

GPS hasn't worked since...the battery was replaced. My GPS does have the red X. My husband did a diagnostic and it showed 27 satellites.

GPS hasn't worked since...the battery was replaced. My GPS does have the red X. My husband did a diagnostic and it showed 27 satellites.

27 satelites seems extremely high. I've seen maybe 11-13 max.

Can you get a screen shot of the GPS screen?

BTW the GPS module is only $42 from tascaparts.com.

I'll take a look at some diagrams when I get home and see if there is a dedicated fuse for this module or something that could be related to a battery jump/replacement.

Have to ask but were the cables every put on backwards when the car was in the process of being jumped?

$500 sounds like it is the APIM and [MENTION=145598]sheltonfilms[/MENTION] is correct...27 sats, that isn't right especially considering it has the red X. Have you looked at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437837 ?

Not sure when the vehicle in service date is (can be determined if you provide me the VIN) but the APIM in that vehicle has a 5 year warranty on it. It may still be covered.

GPS module uses fuse 29 (under driver side dash).

May want to look and see if that fuse may have been blown during the jumping process.

I just ran a diagnostic test myself and it now says # Satellites: 255, so not really sure what's going on. Will have to check the fuse and see.

Sounds like satellite count is an 8 bit number (2^8=256) that ranges from 0-255.

255 could be a default number when the GPS module is either dead, has no power, or has lost communication with the APIM.

Jason maybe able to answer this question on what is shown when no GPS module is connected, as he does a bunch of bench testing on these units.

BTW...We checked the fuse and it's fine. I'll just have to be without GPS for awhile.

Sounds like satellite count is an 8 bit number (2^8=256) that ranges from 0-255.

255 could be a default number when the GPS module is either dead, has no power, or has lost communication with the APIM.

Jason maybe able to answer this question on what is shown when no GPS module is connected, as he does a bunch of bench testing on these units.

It shows 0 sats if the GPSM isn't functional. Definitely has a strange issue going on.

Well to me based off all the information given, it's looking like the GPS module has messed up.

Don't know how the dealer came to the conclusion. Maybe they tried scanning the module and it wouldn't communicate. Maybe they were able to scan it and the information it was broadcasting on the CAN lines was garbage (like 255 satelites).

The module again is like 40 bucks and it sits behind the instrument cluster. The physical swap is a basic repair: remove bezel, remove cluster, replace module.

Issue is that the service manual states that it is a module that has to have a configuration programmed to it. It is possible to do this yourself (depending on how determined and how technical you are).

Has a master reset been done to the sync system and/or has it been upgraded to the latest software?

I believe a master reset has been done. I was told by Ford that the latest update couldn't be done because the GPSM was bad. I'm just beyond frustrated since it worked just fine until my battery died.

Thank you guys for all your info.

You can do a software update your self. You just download the files to usb drive and it pretty much does the rest.

owner.ford.com shows all the steps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can do a software update your self. You just download the files to usb drive and it pretty much does the rest.

owner.ford.com shows all the steps.
I think he is referring to the update to the GPS module which some others had done.

Peter

Back