Hitch on 2002+ explorers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hitch on 2002+ explorers

Hey guys, quick question:

What is the difference between the standard class II hitch on all the 2002+ explorers and the factory class III/IV hitch besides weight increasing of towing?

Does the class class II and Class III/IV mount to the frame of the vehicle the same way?

Is the increased towing weight increased from the class II to a class III/IIV hitch accomplished by a beefier hitch or is it mounted to the frame with more bolts?

I guess my basic question is that do all hitch sizes share a common mounting place on the frame? If not, what are the differences in the ways the different sizes of hitches mount to the frame?

Thanks.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a special way to take off the bumper so I dont trigger the crash sensors or anything?

Also, anyone have any pictures of the trailer brake hookup behind the glovebox? Ive looked, but no go.

Just keep the key off/out which should disable the airbags. Only time you really need to disable them is when your working in the dash or steering wheel, then its disconnect the battery for 10min to let the caps discharge, just in case you short out the wrong wire. . .

I've seen the brake hookup, drop the glove box down and its to the left near the vents or almost on top of it. . sorry no pic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Say, that 3" hitch you put in looks barand new. Mind if I ask where you got it from?

Haven't been checking in over the winter. Here are some updates for those who read this later:
1. Welded hitches started in 2006 when they upgraded/stiffened the frame. No more swapping hitches 2006+. If you want to upgrade the hitch, add another underneath.

2. 2002+ trucks received axle ratios based on tow package. There were no axle options outside of the tow package change.
'02-'10 V6 w/o tow package (3500lbs) got 3.55, 4-flat wiring, & Class II hitch
'02-'10 V6 with tow package (5000-5500lbs) got 3.73, 7-round wiring, & Class III/IV hitch
'02-'10 V8 w/o tow package (3500lbs) got 3.55, 4-flat wiring, & Class II hitch
'02-'05 V8 with tow package (7000-7400lbs) got 3.73 (5-speed trans), 7-round wiring, & Class III/IV hitch
'06-'10 V8 with tow package (7000-7400lbs) got 3.55 (6-speed trans), 7-round wiring, & Class III/IV hitch

3. Swapping/adding another hitch does NOT increase your MAX tow rating (see #2 above or your owner's manual), unless you also change the gear ratios, add additional cooling, etc.
The exception (IMO) would be a '06-'10 V8 truck without towing package. The 6-speed eliminated the need for 3.73 gearing to get the max tow rating. in this case, you could add a larger hitch, increase trans cooling, and probably be fine.

Haven't been checking in over the winter. Here are some updates for those who read this later:
1. Welded hitches started in 2006 when they upgraded/stiffened the frame. No more swapping hitches 2006+. If you want to upgrade the hitch, add another underneath.

2. 2002+ trucks received axle ratios based on tow package. There were no axle options outside of the tow package change.
'02-'10 V6 w/o tow package (3500lbs) got 3.55, 4-flat wiring, & Class II hitch
'02-'10 V6 with tow package (5000-5500lbs) got 3.73, 7-round wiring, & Class III/IV hitch
'02-'10 V8 w/o tow package (3500lbs) got 3.55, 4-flat wiring, & Class II hitch
'02-'05 V8 with tow package (7000-7400lbs) got 3.73 (5-speed trans), 7-round wiring, & Class III/IV hitch
'06-'10 V8 with tow package (7000-7400lbs) got 3.55 (6-speed trans), 7-round wiring, & Class III/IV hitch

3. Swapping/adding another hitch does NOT increase your MAX tow rating (see #2 above or your owner's manual), unless you also change the gear ratios, add additional cooling, etc.
The exception (IMO) would be a '06-'10 V8 truck without towing package. The 6-speed eliminated the need for 3.73 gearing to get the max tow rating. in this case, you could add a larger hitch, increase trans cooling, and probably be fine.

So I bought my 02 explorer used a few years ago. I always wondered why there was a class II hitch on the thing even though it has a V8. If I understand the info correctly, I cant pull more than 3500lbs because of the axel ratio? What a bummer. I was recently looking into upgrading my hitch to a class III but I guess I dont need to if the vehicle cant tow the 7000lbs I thought it could.

Do I have this correct?

So I bought my 02 explorer used a few years ago. I always wondered why there was a class II hitch on the thing even though it has a V8. If I understand the info correctly, I cant pull more than 3500lbs because of the axel ratio? What a bummer. I was recently looking into upgrading my hitch to a class III but I guess I dont need to if the vehicle cant tow the 7000lbs I thought it could.

Do I have this correct?

I bought an '05 EB V8 with the class II hitch and 3.55 rear (see first page for my install). Upgraded the hitch to a class III from a junkyard. Been towing 5000 pounds no problem. I don't know if I'd go to 7k, but definitely more than 3500. I put her in 4 low to pull up the ramp but she cruises just fine.

I bought an '05 EB V8 with the class II hitch and 3.55 rear (see first page for my install). Upgraded the hitch to a class III from a junkyard. Been towing 5000 pounds no problem. I don't know if I'd go to 7k, but definitely more than 3500. I put her in 4 low to pull up the ramp but she cruises just fine.
The difference between your modified setup, and my stock setup, is primarily 1st gear. My 6-speed has a much lower (numerically higher) 1st gear ratio to get me started with 5200 lbs behind me. On gen 3 trucks, the tow package's 3.73 axle ratios are intended to do the same thing...help get you going from a stop.

Once up to speed, I have no doubt that you cruise just fine. But the potential problem is overstressing the drivetrain when starting from a standstill. Pulling 5000 with only 3.55 gearing thru the 5-speed is more stress than than the design or development engineers intended.

I would recommend that when you start from a stop, you go easy on the gas, and not try to accelerate with traffic. Just be gentle on the drivetrain as you get yourself moving. High throttle at low rpm is not good for your setup.

Keep in mind, with the '02+ vehicles, the size of the receiver has been nice to use as a quick weed-out feature, for those wanting 5000-7000 lbs tow ratings. If you upgrade the hitch to Class III/IV (and nothing else), and later sell the truck, you owe it to the buyer to be upfront with them, disclose the modification, and inform them of the true tow rating.

I would be ticked off the buy a V8 truck, thinking it had 3.73 axles because of the 2" hitch, only to find out later it only has 3.55 axles and doesn't tow the way I expected.

Does anyone know the torque requirements for the bolts when upgrading to the 2" hitch? I have been searching and finding nothing.

Back