Starkman's Explorer build thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starkman's Explorer build thread

I used the Explorer main. Took it on a overnight trail run last night and it works good. I was worried that it may be too stiff and no flex as much off road. I'm happy so far...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's good to hear, I just the the swap using the 150 main, drilled out the front hanger for the larger bolt but the leafs are too long, the shackle contacts my hitch going to see if I can press the 150 bushing into the explorer main and go the same route you have

After a trail run last week I developed a front rattle, found it to be a failed shock. 32,000 miles ago a installed Rancho RS9000X shocks. I've been happy with them but had to run on full hard damping to get the ride I like. Lately I noticed they were starting to have less control over the wheels. So I decided to try Bilsteins this time.

After removal I noticed bluing on the shafts. When I pushed the shock in and out by hand I can feel the piston is no functioning correctly. It will move with no resistance then grab and bind. No complaints with 32,000 miles of abuse.
Rancho%20Shock%20failure-M.png

Comparo
Shock%20change%20Aug%202015-M.png

Drove on the Bilsteins today and they seem to have less rebound damping then the Ranchos of full hard. No bad but softer slightly.

Got out today. This trail dead ends at a perfect high country lake call Bill Moore Lake.
2-M.png

Flex shot
3-M.png

Poser rock
untitled-M.png

I just have to say that this Explorer works off road very well. I went up and over and down some very intense terrain today. When I finally get the rear locker it will be unstoppable.

Love the project. Do you have any close photos of the rocksliders?
I'm getting ready to do a pair and hunting for ideas.

Great questions!

One of the future mods is to add rock sliders. So, I want to do something different in the Explorer world but normal in the Jeep world. I will attach the sliders to the rocker panels. They will attach to the factory running board attachments and I will put nutserts in the "holes" where the trim attached. Understanding that the sheet metal isn't strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle but the real load bearing will happen in the back of the rockers at the running board threaded inserts. I don't plan on smashing this thing on the rocks but I do want some protection and also the clearance this mod provides.

Here is the mock up I did to get measurements;
Slider%20mockup%201-M.jpg

Slider%20mockup%202-M.jpg

The steel I got is thicker then the mockup steel. It's a 2x2 angle and a plate measuring 3 1/2" all 66" long. I will add round tubing to this to add more protection also. Yes, there are stronger ways to get this done but I think it will work for me. I bent what I thought were very strong sliders on my Ranger so I feel I understand the limits.

I won't be doing this.
ch08-M.jpg

How are these holding up? I'm in love with this idea, especially as I have some rocker rust to repair.

They have done great. I haven't taken a big hit on them but I have hit some and no issues. It's interesting as they are tucked up higher then most sliders that are mounted below the sills so I seem to touch on the torsion bar cross member more than anywhere else. I did slide off a trail that was mostly loose river rock and was completely hung up on the frame and sliders and they saved the doors. Good luck with your build...

Starkman,

I'm interested in installing one of those bumpers on my explorer.

I read your post saying its a smittybilt. But what is the model number? Is it 76721?

Starkman,

I'm interested in installing one of those bumpers on my explorer.

I read your post saying its a smittybilt. But what is the model number? Is it 76721?

Yes, it's for a Jeep TJ. It was simple to build a mount, just 2x4 tubing welded to cut off frame horns.

I have a few more mods completed and here they are...

Finished the rear bumper/tire carrier.
FullSizeRender%20%282%29-M.jpg

FullSizeRender%20%281%29-M.jpg

FullSizeRender-M.jpg

Mounted a winch in the bumper and customized a Mountaineer grill.
IMG_0752-M.jpg

IMG_0751-M.jpg

IMG_0755-M.jpg

IMG_0753-M.jpg

Nice work !

Looks Great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good looking EX. I will be showing my daughter this and she what she thinks. She has a 96.

Back