Water / Moisture / Condensation in Lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water / Moisture / Condensation in Lights

Fishbowl tail light

Update, now the LEDs are burning out after being "submerged" for two weeks. Will see if my dealer will drill a hole to allow drainage. If not I wonder if he will pay my traffic ticket for driving with a burnt out tail light?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update, now the LEDs are burning out after being "submerged" for two weeks...

I want to jump in here and do what I can to help, MSGUSARET. To get started, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll get to work. :)

Crystal

Depends on how much water in what amount of time.

These lights do get condensation in them. Most lights have a piece on the back that is a moisture type barrier, allowing air to move in/out but not water. This allows the condensation to evaporate. I have seen them with the taped cover still on preventing the air circulation.

Now, if you have a ton of water after each rain, then yeah, you have a bad seal somewhere. You could remove the light and run a bead of silicone around the seal and press it in with your fingertip, hoping to catch the hole or bad area of the seal.

Fishbowl tail light

Dealer (Frederick Ford, Frederick Md), said he can't drill hole BUT he did unbolt tail light assembly and unscrewed bulb then dumped out the water. Suddenly he found out that part is due in this Friday. Awaiting his call. Hopefully the 2-4 inches of rain we are expecting doesn't flood it again. Both tail lights flicker when door unlocked. Hopefully extended time full of water doesn't affect the wiring. If I don't get this resolved tomorrow then I will email you, Crystal. Thanks

Fishbowl tail light

Just got back from dealer. Replaced my tail light assembly in about 15 min. Now all my lights work!!! Will see if the new one leaks. Just starting to get our 2-4 inches of heavy rain. Crossing my fingers! Let you know tomorrow.

Just got back from dealer. Replaced my tail light assembly in about 15 min. Now all my lights work!!! Will see if the new one leaks. Just starting to get our 2-4 inches of heavy rain. Crossing my fingers! Let you know tomorrow.

Thanks for the update, MSGUSARET; let us know how you make out through the rain storm. :)

Crystal

Police Units

We are doing a large build project for LAPD in which we are using black and white Ford Explorers. We have done approximately 300 of the 2014 vehicles and are beginning to get back reports that the tail lights have water leakage. Does anybody know what the VIN run is for this issue? Do we have any way of easily fixing it? Thanks!

Crystal, I am having the same issue with my 2013 Explorer can you please assist me with this problem. I believe it also may be impacting my back up camera.

Crystal, I am having the same issue with my 2013 Explorer can you please assist me with this problem. I believe it also may be impacting my back up camera.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I would suggest that you send FordService a private message to ensure they see your issue. They monitor more than just this forum. Go bacl to their post and click on the name FordServie and a box will pop up. Select "Start a Conversation" and enter your issue and details such as your full name, VIN, day time phone number and mileage.
Also, please add the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc.) of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can prove to be helpful when members reply to future concerns. Thanks.

Peter

Police Units

We are doing a large build project for LAPD in which we are using black and white Ford Explorers. We have done approximately 300 of the 2014 vehicles and are beginning to get back reports that the tail lights have water leakage. Does anybody know what the VIN run is for this issue? Do we have any way of easily fixing it? Thanks!

There is no VIN range.. every once and a while a light will have a bad seal. Heck my brother in laws 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer had the same issue.. left tail light had water floating in it. Being out of warranty, his friend who was a Ford mechanic took a drill and drilled a tiny hole in it and out came the water lol... Was kind of funny to watch.. and yet you never saw the hole.

Long story short, the light needs to be replaced.

Hi everyone,

I’ve seen this problem on multiple threads, but none recently and few resolutions.

I purchased my 2013 Exp Ltd two years ago, certified, with ESP. Trying to avoid the issues I had with my 2011...

About a year ago, passenger tail light stopped working. Took it to the dealer, they said it was a bad bulb caused by moisture in the light. They replaced it, it was a covered repair, and I went on my way.

Almost exactly a year later (about a week ago), my tail lights began to flicker as if there is a short circuit. I took it to the dealer today. They called to say the issue was caused by moisture in the tail light (which you could see by the time I took it in) and that the light would need to be replaced, and it is not covered under warranty because Section 9 of the ESP states that “water intrusion” and seals are not covered under the warranty.

I’m floored. $650 for a light that was not damaged in any way, that I have maintained according to the maintenance schedule, and an issue that should have been corrected last year. And to make it worse, they charged me a diagnostic fee because they had to “take apart the light to find the issue” - but when I brought it home and started taking the light off to drain the water, it was obvious that the bolts had not been touched.

I’ve removed the light and dried it out with a hair dryer, and the flickering has stopped. However now the circular LEDs that make up the brake light have stopped working altogether. I’m very frustrated, especially seeing that other explorer owners have experienced this issue and had the part replaced with no problem.

Anyone have any advice? Or am I better off just buying the part online and installing myself?

Thanks!!

Is it the same one they replaced?

If you end up needing a whole new tail light, replacing it is really easy. There's 2 bolts (under the round plastic things that pop out with a small screwdriver) holding it in and a clip toward the side. You just pull the light out toward you along the side of the car once the bolts are out. I would do it myself if I were you, because there's no way it'll be cheaper at a dealer if they charge you full price.

Is it the same one they replaced?
Yes, same light. They only replaced the bulb though, not the entire assembly. But if water was the cause, I expected that they addressed the entry point. Guess I’m expecting too much..

If you end up needing a whole new tail light, replacing it is really easy. There's 2 bolts (under the round plastic things that pop out with a small screwdriver) holding it in and a clip toward the side. You just pull the light out toward you along the side of the car once the bolts are out. I would do it myself if I were you, because there's no way it'll be cheaper at a dealer if they charge you full price.
Thanks! I’ve replaced one before on my 2011 model, completely agree about how easy it is. I’m more concerned that this isn’t covered by the warranty, when I’ve seen others reporting this same exact problem and getting warranty coverage. Seems as if this is a common problem that they conveniently carved out of the warranty plan.

Yes, same light. They only replaced the bulb though, not the entire assembly. But if water was the cause, I expected that they addressed the entry point. Guess I’m expecting too much..

Ah, that's unfortunate.

Thanks! I’ve replaced one before on my 2011 model, completely agree about how easy it is. I’m more concerned that this isn’t covered by the warranty, when I’ve seen others reporting this same exact problem and getting warranty coverage. Seems as if this is a common problem that they conveniently carved out of the warranty plan.

It would've been covered under the bumper to bumper, but not the ESP.

The two cheapest new ones online:

New OEM Tail Lamp Passenger 2011-2015 Ford Explorer LED Snap Bulb #BB5Z13404D | eBay
Tail Lamps for 2013 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Cheapest used ones:
Rh Passenger Side Tail Lamp 2013 Explorer Sku#2210894 | eBay
Rh Passenger Side Tail Lamp 2011 Explorer Sku#2201553 | eBay
OEM Ford Explorer Right Passenger Side LED Tail Lamp BB5Z-13404-C | eBay

That last one says there are two different types of harness, so make sure you get the right one. It looks like the the part number for 2013 is either BB5Z-13404-C or BB5Z-13404-D. Pull yours and see what's embossed on it.

Any type of water damage is not covered under an ESP. Coverage stops once you are outside the 3yr/36k. This is the industry standard, not just Ford so they didn't "conveniently carve it out".

This is not a common problem. A few have had their light fail completely and that was covered because it was just defective (zero water damage). I cant recall anyone saying they had water in their tail light but I'll take your word that you read that since I cant search at the moment.

You say the tail light originally stopped working. The LEDs are not serviceable so if it stopped working, "changing a bulb" would not fix the problem so I have no idea what they did originally. Any time the red brake light stops working, it would need to be replaced.

If the dealer looks at something and spends their time investigating and/or confirming an issue and it is not a warranty repair, then most dealerships do charge for their time (again pretty standard). I have 1 dealer that usually does not charge which is why I continue to go to them but it is rare to find.

The first time if the dealer just changed a bulb (only reverse and blinker is replaceable) then they probably comp'd that to you since bulbs are dirt cheap.

I have a 2014 that I bought new. The day I drove it home from dealer I noticed the left rear taillight housing was 2/3 full of water. They had washed the vehicle just before I drove it off the lot. I drove right back to the dealer and showed it to service mgr. Guess seal was defective from supplier as they ordered a new one and swapped it out next day. So it is possible to have defective housings. If 36/36 warr left then Ford should replace it I feel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The non coverage for water leaks has been a standard exclusion in the ESP along with several other items listed on the brochure?

Peter

Back