My '07 Limited V8 'Garage Thread' | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My '07 Limited V8 'Garage Thread'

I removed my roof rails this evening...looks like I lowered the thing 10 inches compared to my wife's 2009...

image_52.jpeg

image_51.jpeg

The last bolt on the driver side rear mount of course had to give me a hard time. I had to cut the mount to get to the bolt, and eventually cut the bolt. Once I clean it up I will 'attach' the bolt head so it looks normal.

Anyone need chrome roof rails cheap?...except for the drivers rear mount.

Edit: I also got a more subtle Darth Vader for my side glass a few weeks ago.
Still have those rails??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer looks great, Partsman! (so does the wife's)
Have you considered painting the running boards to match the black of the vehicle?

Still have those rails??
Yes I do!...I have them listed in the marketplace on here. Let me know if you want them, I'm flexible on the price, thanks!

Explorer looks great, Partsman! (so does the wife's)
Have you considered painting the running boards to match the black of the vehicle?
Thank you!

The running boards are on the list!...I went so far as contacting a local place to spray them with bed liner coating. I just haven't got there yet.

I finally got everything to change my plugs...
image.jpeg

...after sifting through all the 'eBay coil' threads...and then all the eBay coil sets, I decided to just pay a few extra dollars and get the MSD set and be done with it. I'm sure there's no difference, but I've always had good luck with MSD stuff...and I got the whole set for the (employee)price of 3 Motorcraft ones.
Someone put Accel coils on my 4.6 however long ago, and I don't want to reuse them...they will be in the marketplace on here soon.
Now I just have to find the time to do the job!

I did my plugs and coils today...I sprayed PB Blaster in the spark plug wells yesterday and let it sit and soak over night. They all came out with no problems and none of them broke!

image.jpeg

The front cylinders on both sides were only in hand tight. The rest came out with just a 3/8ths ratchet and the OTC socket.

The MSD coils fit and function perfectly...
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My truck runs like a top now!...nice and smooth!
No more ticking and no more gas smell inside the cabin!

Hey man, nice truck. We have the same year, engine, model and colour! Happy to see your plugs came out easy. I need to do mine too. I will post a couple pics of mine. Cheers :chug:

Hey man, nice truck. We have the same year, engine, model and colour! Happy to see your plugs came out easy. I need to do mine too. I will post a couple pics of mine. Cheers :chug:
Thank you sir!...I appreciate it!

Same year, engine, model and color...haha, that's cool!

Let me know where you post the pics so I can check them out!

Wheels came in yesterday...

image.jpeg

...some nice concave there...
image.jpeg

...now I just have to get the tires!

I test fitted my wheels today...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

...but I forgot to measure for tires while I had them on, doh!
Now I gotta put them on again and take some measurements.

Tires arrived today!

image.jpeg

255/50R19 front (on the floor)
285/45R19 rear
Toyo Proxes ST2

I'm hoping to get them mounted/balanced tomorrow

One of my techs at work mounted and balanced them for me today (thanks Pat!) and I finally got them on after I got home...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

...this setup is a lot wider than the stock setup, and they ride really nice!

It's supposed to rain here on Friday (finally) so I can see what kind of wet traction these Toyos have. The reviews are all over the place regarding wet and dry traction.

Edit: wheel specs are 19x9.5 et35 in the front and 19x9.5 et30 in the rear

image.png

I went to get my exhaust done today at my friend Jeff's shop...Karns Automotive in Groton, CT.
His tech Charles did most of the fab work, then Jeff helped line up and space the 2 exits for the final welds. These guys are just as picky as I am as far as the end of the tailpipes being exactly the same on both sides.

I of course took some pics...

image.jpeg

...first cut in getting the factory exhaust off...

image.jpeg

...stock system in 3 pieces now...

image.jpeg

...tacking the muffler in place...

image.jpeg

...the muffler welded in it's final spot...

image.jpeg

...muffler exit pipes...

image.jpeg

...got 2 pipes poking up through there!...we had to use 2.25" pipe to go over the axle, two 2.5" pipes would not fit there comfortably...from this point it went back to 2.5" for the tailpipes...

image.jpeg

...fitting the right side tail...

image.jpeg

...working on the left tail...

image.jpeg

...we ended up having to make the left tail 2 pieces, the bends were very close together and this was the only way to have a nice, smooth tailpipe...

image.jpeg

...pretty much done, just need paint!...

...another shot from the rear...

image.jpeg

I thought I took a pic like this after the paint, guess not.

image.jpeg

It sounds really nice!...nice, mellow tone without being obnoxious...just enough to know its a V8!

Awesome! Any chance you could provide a clip or two just so we can experience the sound too? :p

Thanks man!

I tried to get one yesterday when we first started it up, way too much background noise. I'll try to get one today.

Cold start this morning...

It sounds MUCH better in person!...I am going to have someone shoot a vid under acceleration.

I took my side steps off yesterday to clean and paint them.
image.jpeg

I was tired of them looking all faded and gray.
image.jpeg

After cleaning them up a little and some fresh, satin black spray paint, they look new again!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I also freshened up the side of the frame rail that you can see when the step is mounted.
image.jpeg

I'm just waiting for the steps to dry so I can put them back on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Loving the sleek, black theme. Painting the side steps was a great choice, I never considering doing that before. Have you ever thought about removing the lip under the front bumper? I've thought about it but haven't had the chance to do it.

Back