2016 Problems installing front turn signal LED bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Problems installing front turn signal LED bulbs

Lhymes

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
Per a recommendation in another thread I installed these LED bulbs to replace my front turn signals bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PHTXWQS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The bulbs themselves work great, but I'm getting hyper flash on the turn indicators (the bulbs themselves are blinking properly). I know (well, pretty sure) this is because the system thinks the bulbs have burned out. Does anyone know how to correct this? I'm sure someone has some experience with the issue. Thanks!

Edit: I'm a ding dong. Found answer in Amazon questions, but want to make sure I purchase correct resistors. Could someone recommend the right resistors to fix this issue? I'm questioning if it's worth it or not. Would love to keep the LED bulbs, but am kinda turns off about the splice. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are plug and play resistors available (called "decoders" in very inaccurate parlance). They're just resistors that can be placed in-line to the existing connections, encased in plastic themselves.

I ordered some for my rear lights but wasn't happy with the heat output. Resistors are known for high heat, but it made me too nervous. I actually converted my Explorer back to the stock incandescent configuration.

I thinking about not bothering with LED turn signals. Would love to get input from someone that is running LED turn signal bulbs and is happy with them.

I am having hyper flash issues on the inside when I replaced the taillights does anyone know where the relay is so that I can replace it?

Will this work for front and back turn signals?
Did you replace your taillight blinkers with those lights to? I find most people have the hyper blink issue...

Did you replace your taillight blinkers with those lights to? I find most people have the hyper blink issue...
No I have not changed any lights..it was aquestions to see if the lights will work for front and back blinkers

I am running these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019JDBJOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
did not need resistors and they are working fine, no hyper flashing outside or inside.

Just a heads up for everyone. I received my set of these bulbs today and they do trigger the inside warning/hyper flash. Like the previous bulbs I originally mentioned, these flash properly outside. I have taken a video to show the issue and will post on YouTube and edit with link later (showing this bulb vs stock bulb). I have since reinstalled the original stock bulbs and glad to not have the crazy hyper flash clicking on turn signal anymore. Disappointed this wasn't the solution.

EDIT: Just posted. Here's the link:

Just a heads up for everyone. I received my set of these bulbs today and they do trigger the inside warning/hyper flash. Like the previous bulbs I originally mentioned, these flash properly outside. I have taken a video to show the issue and will post on YouTube and edit with link later (showing this bulb vs stock bulb). I have since reinstalled the original stock bulbs and glad to not have the crazy hyper flash clicking on turn signal anymore. Disappointed this wasn't the solution.

Did you replace the fronts and backs? when I replaced the backs only I was getting hyper flash but then I changed the fronts also and the hyper flash went away, also my is a 2014 so I don't know if the electrical systems are a little different, also mine being a base model does not have the mirror blinker so that's another variable.

Just front blinkers.

I replaced just front and had no hyper flash problems I have a 2014 Ex sport

It looks like you need "LED Load Resistors" per each LED light pair/per each LED bulb. But they generate heat, so you need to be careful.
I had the same issue with LED bulbs on my motorcycle - load resistor works for me.

Did you replace the fronts and backs? when I replaced the backs only I was getting hyper flash but then I changed the fronts also and the hyper flash went away, also my is a 2014 so I don't know if the electrical systems are a little different, also mine being a base model does not have the mirror blinker so that's another variable.

On the 2016+ the front signals are not parking lamps on non-law enforcement units so the hyper flashing seems to be just on the inside and working as designed/intended outside. I have gotten used to the hyper inside or the music is covering it mostly *or entirely :) *

Alright, 7440 in the rear, WITHOUT resistor, do you get EXTERNAL hyperflash in addition to the internal? 2016+?

I'm considering picking up some 7440s without a resistor and living with the internal hyperflash if the external flash pattern is OK.

Can anyone help me out on how to replace the front blinkers? I cannot find anything anywhere that explains how to do it. I appreciate it!

Can anyone help me out on how to replace the front blinkers? I cannot find anything anywhere that explains how to do it. I appreciate it!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you check out page 293 of your Owner's Manual?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In case anyone else is having hyper flash issues, This is how I was able to fix it, No need to install load resisters etc ( after all idea is not to draw loads of current). I went into Forscan software and in the Configuration section BDCM module and disable the turn signal fault detection. This seem to restore the blinking to normal rate.

Back