Help? Setting Dark Mode in 2017 to keep interior lights off when doors are opened? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help? Setting Dark Mode in 2017 to keep interior lights off when doors are opened?

JB Storhm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Hello All,

I just picked up my 2017 Explorer Sport and set to Dark mode but even though the menu options say dark mode enabled the interior lights are still coming on when doors are opened.
I was use to having the lights not go on as my 2014 FX4 and 2015 Explorer Sport both worked properly when set to Police Dark mode in the Ford software with dealer computer to setup. There are a few options to the right of where the menus show Police Dark Mode Enabled. Does anyone out here know what these settings are for?
Any pointers or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know if it's the same as on the Gen 4's, but all you have to do is rotate the dimmer switch clockwise until it goes past the indent. This disables all interior lamps when the doors are open.

Thanks, like the 14 Fx4 and 15 Explorer Sport there is no dial on the 17 only a +/- brightness switch. That's why we resorted to activating Police Dark to keep interior lights off unless manually turned on. We live on a farm near River so with all the mosquitos dark mode is the only solution. But I will go look again. Thanks

Hello All,

I just picked up my 2017 Explorer Sport and set to Dark mode but even though the menu options say dark mode enabled the interior lights are still coming on when doors are opened.
I was use to having the lights not go on as my 2014 FX4 and 2015 Explorer Sport both worked properly when set to Police Dark mode in the Ford software with dealer computer to setup. There are a few options to the right of where the menus show Police Dark Mode Enabled. Does anyone out here know what these settings are for?
Any pointers or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JB
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I have edited the thread title to show '2017' since the previous model years do not have this function (setting).

Peter

Did you enable Dark Car with IDS or FORScan?

I did it with the latter, couldn't get Dark Car to actually take effect. There was an SSM on the Interceptor Utilities for dealers to update the BCM ABD before enabling Dark Car. I updated my ABD per OASIS, but Dark Car still didn't work. Could be an error in FORScan, though. Not 100% confident that the software is revising the right bits.

Did you enable Dark Car with IDS or FORScan?

I did it with the latter, couldn't get Dark Car to actually take effect. There was an SSM on the Interceptor Utilities for dealers to update the BCM ABD before enabling Dark Car. I updated my ABD per OASIS, but Dark Car still didn't work. Could be an error in FORScan, though. Not 100% confident that the software is revising the right bits.
From reading his post, he didn't mention using either. It looks like there is a menu setting in one of the screens that he was using.
I just searched the 2017 Manual and there is no mention of "Dark Car". In fact the word "dark" only appears 3 times and never in association with that feature.

Peter

From reading his post, he didn't mention using either. It looks like there is a menu setting in one of the screens that he was using.
I just searched the 2017 Manual and there is mention of "Dark Car". In fact the word "dark" only appears 3 times and never in association with that feature.

Peter

Hi All,
Thank you for taking the time to discuss.

I was setting Police Dark right in the Ford IDS using dealer terminal connected to data port and dealer software.
I tried everything I could think of and am about to give up and get programmer to hack mod for me.

This exact same process worked great on my 14fx4 and 15 Explorer Sport but doesn't seem to work on 17 Explorer Sport. Also looking to find a way to disable the double horn honk when exiting and locking the vehicle with key fob in me and vehicle running.

Thanks,

Jon

Have your dealer pull a fresh copy of the BCM as-built data from OASIS, then try to re-enable Dark Car with IDS, in that order.

Contact jmr061 for the double beep horn mod fix. If you do, talk to him before having the as-built data reloaded.

.........This exact same process worked great on my 14fx4 and 15 Explorer Sport but doesn't seem to work on 17 Explorer Sport. Also looking to find a way to disable the double horn honk when exiting and locking the vehicle with key fob in me and vehicle running.

Thanks,

Jon
As thefranchise713 mentioned, the double honk can be turned off with Jason's (jmr061) help. See page 8 in the following thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/horn-beeps-on-exit.376063/

Good luck Jon.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I have sent Jason a note and he replied.
Really appreciate you all and this forum.

Were you able to figure this out? I enabled Dark Mode using Forscan and cycled but it doesn't seem to have worked.

I was talking to my dealer (bought a 2017 platinum) and they are going to set this up for me (as I hunt, I want the lights off when I arrive at the camp, and open doors etc..) They said there was a "setting" but they were not sure if it's a permanent change or if there is a "menu" item to enable and disable as I need it.

does anyone know if it's permanent or new menu item that shows up?

has anyone gotten it working yet in a 2017?

I just bought a 2017 XLT and the lights are disturbing. The tail lights, the park lights, the mirror lights and the interior lights come on when I open or close the door. I need it dark. How can I control them? I tried to sit in my car one night with the radio on and the door open and I could not turn off the light. My dealer can't or won't help me.

use Forescan

Courtesy Lamp & Lighting Configuration
—Dark Mode 16-18MY BCM 726-32-01 xxxx x*xx xxzz 0=Disabled, 1=Enabled
—Dark Mode 11-15MY BCM 726-08-01 x..* xxxx xxzz 0=Disabled, 1=Enabled

I had Dark Car enabled on my '16 without issue in 5 minutes. HOWEVER, it did not do anything to enable it on the '17. Ford Factory replied to the Dealer that the '17 no longer will accept Dark Car mode due to the fact that they have reprogrammed all the lights to include the "signature" running lights. The signature lights don't turn off at all now. They did in the '16. Dark Car is ONLY available as a dashboard menu option on the POLICE INTERCEPTOR from '17+. Prior to that, the Interceptors also used the Dark Car option to disable the lights. Not so much anymore. So unless someone knows if that menu is buried in the civilian programming and can hack into it, looks like the rest are OOL at this point. The message from the factory, in short, said, You don't own a POLICE VERSION.

There are multiple pieces of ABD that need to be changed. I had some help getting it enabled on mine for kicks. But I took it back off as it is a feature I don't need. Wish I had logged them now for your benefit.

Turning on ABD with FORScan won't do it, it will fail.

There are multiple pieces of ABD that need to be changed. I had some help getting it enabled on mine for kicks. But I took it back off as it is a feature I don't need. Wish I had logged them now for your benefit.

Turning on ABD with FORScan won't do it, it will fail.
Did you use FORScan to edit the ABD or use a Ford Service scan tool? It won't terribly help as I don't personally have either at the moment.

Is this like a cop / drug dealer feature? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you use FORScan to edit the ABD or use a Ford Service scan tool? It won't terribly help as I don't personally have either at the moment.

I was able to turn it on using Forscan. When the doors open up only the accent lights turn on in the car (red in the cup holders and footwells).

Check the spreadsheet, the change to have it show up in the IPC didn't work for me though.

Back