Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

I will be putting 265/50R20's Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Limited this week. Will post pic when done.
I have a 2011 Limited with the 20" wheels. I have been debating leveling the front and adding a 265/50/20 tire rather than the stock 255/50/20. My dilemma is this: I will be adding the new larger tires this week and will not be getting the Traxda Leveling kit for a month or so.

Does anyone know if I will have problems with rubbing until I get the leveling kit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got the traxda lift kit put onto my Explorer. I bought these 275 BFG All terrains, before the lift, and they rubbed like crazy. The lift gives me enough clearance for them.

Unfortunately not yet. My guess is, yes, it will fit, but how much different than a stock Explorer, I do not know.

Just finished my explorer. I ran 265/6518 with no issues but I cant see anything bigger than that fitting.

For those who've done this lift with 17" wheels, do you have the factory tow package?

I've been told that 17's won't fit over the brakes if you have the tow package, as I do on my '11 Limited 4WD.

I chose a 17inch wheel when I lifted mine however, I don't have a tow package.

That said, my neighbors is a base model that came with OEM 17's and a towpackage. Not lifted.

I think it has to do with backspace. I'll ask him what the backspace is on his OEM wheels. Mine is 4.5 inch.

For those who've done this lift with 17" wheels, do you have the factory tow package?

I've been told that 17's won't fit over the brakes if you have the tow package, as I do on my '11 Limited 4WD.

Bump!
Any other options to lift our xp's? I'm planning to lift mine for dune bashing purposes.

To those lifted, any problems in the long run?

Bump!
Any other options to lift our xp's? I'm planning to lift mine for dune bashing purposes.

To those lifted, any problems in the long run?

I still haven't seen an new lift options for these.. Ive been trying to find a solid shock replacement without any success.

The only thing that may cause an issue, depending on the size tire is the camber bolts... My guys says mine are maxed out to adjust for the size wheel, backspace and tire size. Easy correction though so, not really a problem. Other than that, I love it. I get compliments all the time and it tore up the snow out in Tahoe.

Hey guys,

I just lifted my 2012 Ford Explorer XLT. Looks great, had the alignment but i seem to have a slight "Hollow Grinding" only when I let off the gas at 45mph or higher.. As soon as I accelerate it goes away. But repeatedly whenever I let off the gas it happens again.

Any ideas???

Hey guys,

I just lifted my 2012 Ford Explorer XLT. Looks great, had the alignment but i seem to have a slight "Hollow Grinding" only when I let off the gas at 45mph or higher.. As soon as I accelerate it goes away. But repeatedly whenever I let off the gas it happens again.

Any ideas???
Hope you didn't throw your back out lifting the Explorer.;)
Just wanted to say 'Hi' and welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Hey all- I just got a 2014 XLT. It came with the stock 245/60-18 Michelins that I'm planning on replacing with Michelin Premier LTX's. I'm also planning a trip to the Canadian Rockies soon and a little more clearance would be great for this and future road trips. If I replace the stock tires with the same stock size can you see me running into any trouble when I have the Traxda 102040 front and rear lift kit installed? I read thru the thread and it seems like all the folks that had to do modifications were using bigger wheels and tires-- but I don't want to rip up a brand new set of tires or hurt my beautiful new used car :)

Hey all- I just got a 2014 XLT. It came with the stock 245/60-18 Michelins that I'm planning on replacing with Michelin Premier LTX's. I'm also planning a trip to the Canadian Rockies soon and a little more clearance would be great for this and future road trips. If I replace the stock tires with the same stock size can you see me running into any trouble when I have the Traxda 102040 front and rear lift kit installed? I read thru the thread and it seems like all the folks that had to do modifications were using bigger wheels and tires-- but I don't want to rip up a brand new set of tires or hurt my beautiful new used car :)
Just keep in mind the lift will most likely void your 5yr/60k drive train warranty. If you've exceeded the mileage already then no worries in that regard. Have fun.

Peter

Thanks Peter- I'm not even close to being past the warranty so there goes that idea :(

Thanks Peter- I'm not even close to being past the warranty so there goes that idea :(
According to a fellow that had his warranty denied by Ford on his F-150, there are some 'kits' that carry their own warranty that will kick in if Ford denies coverage. He was fortunate to have one of those. Don't ask me which one since it was reported in the news over a year ago. So you may not be entirely out of luck.

Peter

Keepin hope alive!! I'll look into it- thanks again.

Does anyone know if they make a body or suspension lift for a 2017 Explorer Platinum ?

Welcome to the Forum ces101.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature.
I believe all models, except the Sport, have the same suspension.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all the great information. I read the complete thread.

I'm intrigued to go ahead and order the lift kit. But I want to get new tires as well.

I have a '13 XLT with stock 18" alloys and stock 245/60 tires.

My question is, what would be the biggest and best fit (with almost no trimming involved) tire that I could get to go along with the this lift?

I don't want to purchase new rims.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I will 100% post pics once I get all this done.

Back