My '07 Limited V8 'Garage Thread' | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My '07 Limited V8 'Garage Thread'

Loving the sleek, black theme. Painting the side steps was a great choice, I never considering doing that before. Have you ever thought about removing the lip under the front bumper? I've thought about it but haven't had the chance to do it.
Thanks very much, I appreciate it!

Are you talking about the lip under the radiator or the one that runs the full width of the bumper?
I have never thought about removing either one. Why would you want to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great Partsman. If you don't mind suggestions, maybe de-badge the doors and fenders, and it looks like you have chrome caps on the mirrors that could be blacked out too. I removed the lower valence under my front bumper, mine was gray and cracked. If it wasn't already damaged i would have left it alone. It gives the illusion of a little extra ground clearance. I'm guessing you'd go the other way and lower yours. Love the all black look.

Looks great Partsman. If you don't mind suggestions, maybe de-badge the doors and fenders, and it looks like you have chrome caps on the mirrors that could be blacked out too.
Thanks very much, I appreciate it!...and thanks for the post!
Funny you mention the de-badge...I just did the 'EXPLORER' on the tailgate today...with the removal of the double sided tape, and then some compound to clean up/blend in the area, it was quite a task. It does look nice though!
I was thinking some 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber on the mirror caps, grille and rear hatch handle.
Conestoga Actual said:
I removed the lower valence under my front bumper, mine was gray and cracked. If it wasn't already damaged i would have left it alone. It gives the illusion of a little extra ground clearance. I'm guessing you'd go the other way and lower yours. Love the all black look.
Thanks again...no lowering on this vehicle haha...it's staying right where it is!

It's supposed to rain here on Friday (finally) so I can see what kind of wet traction these Toyos have. The reviews are all over the place regarding wet and dry traction.
So from July 27th when I posted the above quote, until just yesterday...it hasn't rained enough to see what kind of wet traction these tires have.
Like I said above, the reviews were all over the place with some people saying the tires are just plain dangerous in the rain with little to no traction at all. While some said they have awesome traction wet or dry. Well, I have to go with the guys that said they have awesome traction wet or dry. The only issue (if it even counts as an issue) I had was if there was a decent amount of standing water or water running across the road...you could 'feel' it as you drove over it, but that's like 90% of the tires sold today. Plus, my tires are kinda wide, so I know that doesn't help.
Overall I'm very happy with them, it will suck when I take them off for the winter.

I went to start my Explorer yesterday and the solenoid just clicked really fast...I jumped it and it fired right up.

I cleaned the terminals today and it did the same thing...but, now the dash lights stayed on without the key, I put the key in to turn them off and then the radio stayed on with the door open!...a couple cycles of the key and it shut off.

I then noticed the date sticker on the Motorcraft battery...7/09 wtf?...haha, I think it has served well!

I sent a text to one of my techs, he thinks it's just the battery...I guess the modules go all wacky with the low voltage...we'll see tomorrow when I install a new one.

I got a battery today at work...Motorcraft BXT 65-850...
image.jpeg

...I installed it at work and my Explorer fired right up, and all the gremlins seem to be gone!

When I got home I had to uninstall it to clean the battery tray, it was nasty...
image.jpeg

I couldn't leave it like that...so after a little wire brushing, and a little bit with a putty knife and the garden hose, it looked much better...
image.jpeg

Everything is all good again!

On my way home from work yesterday my transmission (6R60) got a case of the shudders...I felt it a while ago, but it wasn't that bad and actually went away for a bit.
Last night it was like highway rumble strips unless I turned off the O/D.
I had to work a half day today, so when my replacement showed up I was able to put it on a lift and do a drain and fill. A lot of people have said that gets rid of the shudder, I figured what the hell?...can't hurt.
So, I proceeded to drop the pan, the fluid was pretty brown and smelly. I have no idea when or if it's ever been changed.
I have a filter and drain plug kit, but they were at home and I wanted to put some fresh LV in there with a BG transmission conditioner...
IMG_5445.JPG

After cleaning the pan and gasket...
IMG_5443.JPG

...I put it back together and filled it up using our BG power steering machine, it sucks the fluid right out of the quart bottle.
If you've ever done this you know it's not a job where you can take a few pics as you go along. It's messy.

The result...it didn't shudder at all on my way home! It shifted very smooth and felt really good.
I am going to drop the pan next week and change the filter, I will do the drain plug kit at the same time.

After I painted my side steps, I can really notice now just how much crap gets kicked up on them at the front where they curve into the frame.

So, to remedy that and keep them looking decent...I ordered a front set of mud flaps from Husky Liner.

Installed them yesterday...

IMG_5446.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG

They should keep the steps somewhat clean...we'll see after the next wash.

After I painted my side steps, I can really notice now just how much crap gets kicked up on them at the front where they curve into the frame.

So, to remedy that and keep them looking decent...I ordered a front set of mud flaps from Husky Liner.

Installed them yesterday...

They should keep the steps somewhat clean...we'll see after the next wash.

I think you'll be satisfied with them. They were on my 2010 Sport Trac when I bought her last fall,and they seem to do a pretty good job of keeping the crap off of the side steps.

You might as well go ahead and install a rear set too, so everything matches, and to keep crap off of the rear rockers.

Cool, that's good to hear, and thanks for the post!

I am on the fence as far as the rear ones...I don't know if I want a mud flap as big as the front ones back there. I might just look for a simple (smaller) flat one to use.

Do have pics of the rear ones on your truck?

I don't have decent picture to upload right now, but I'll try to get one for you later. But remember, that if you go with a smaller one, it won't be as effective in keeping crap from getting thrown up onto the rear rockers.

Sounds good, thanks!

I want to see how they look on your truck...I'm also going to look around and see what's available.

Thanks again!

I took the day off from work today to finally change my radiator before it gets cold out...plus I'm tired of seeing drips on the ground everywhere I park, not to mention always having to check the coolant level.
The ridiculous thing is that the place where I bought it from put a new (aftermarket) radiator in before I took delivery...in February of this year! wtf?...and it's been seeping from the tank seams for about a month.
The moral to the story?...if you need a radiator, and are looking at aftermarket ones, don't buy this one...
IMG_5562.JPG

While I was at it, I wanted to change the thermostat...then I looked at where the housing is. Haha, it's in a great spot!
IMG_5564.JPG

One bolt under the intake, and one bolt under that hard line.
I've been working on cars since before I was old enough to drive, just not that many Ford products...and it never ceases to amaze me how they engineer their stuff!
Anyway, the housing will come out with just removing the outer bolt (quarter turn at a time) and loosening the inner bolt (quarter turn at a time).
IMG_5566.JPG

My tech Pat at work said to remove the throttle body, which did help a little.
At least Ford was kind enough to put a slot in the housing for the inner bolt...
IMG_5567.JPG

New thermostat and o-ring installed...
IMG_5570.JPG

While I had the throttle body off, it was the perfect time to clean it up!
IMG_5573.JPG

This is after a few squirts of carb clean and a rag, it was pretty dirty.

The only thing I was dreading about doing this job was the tranny lines, specifically getting them out of the radiator fittings.
This tool I ordered online from Coastal Tool Supply worked perfectly!
IMG_5576.JPG

Tranny lines ejected!
IMG_5578.JPG

Leaky radiator out with the plastic side mounts still bolted on...
IMG_5579.JPG

...and there's no way I could have put those dirty plastics back on, with dirt, sand and coolant on them.
Here they are drying in the sun after being washed up...
IMG_5581.JPG

IMG_5582.JPG

...upper and lower fan shrouds got the treatment too!

I also changed the radiator hoses while everything was apart.
This clamp on the engine side of the lower hose is nestled nicely right behind the power steering pump...
IMG_5583.JPG

The factory squeeze clamp that was there came off a lot easier than I thought it would.

This is the radiator I used...
IMG_5584.JPG

hopefully it will last a while!

IMG_5585.JPG

Ford radiator with the plastic side mounts installed...
IMG_5587.JPG

Before I installed it I noticed that my serpentine belt was all cracked. I didn't feel like driving to work to get a Ford one, so I had to put a Napa one on...
IMG_5589.JPG

Upper radiator hose...
IMG_5590.JPG

After wrestling the radiator a little, I got it in where it's supposed to sit. Then I proceeded to bolt the A/C condenser to the radiator side mounts. I don't know who came up with that idea, it's kind of a pain.

I forgot to get another gallon of coolant from work, so I had to wait a little bit to finish filling it.

In the meantime I hosed down the engine and compartment to get rid of any coolant that might have been wind blown with the leaky radiator.
IMG_5592.JPG

After topping off the coolant, I took it for a ride to get it hot. Everything seems ok and leak free!

No drips on the ground this morning!...so far, so good!

Put my stock wheels back on for the winter today, sucks...
IMG_5629.JPG

...back to regular looking Explorer!
This set will do much better in the snow.

On my way home from work yesterday my transmission (6R60) got a case of the shudders...I felt it a while ago, but it wasn't that bad and actually went away for a bit.
Last night it was like highway rumble strips unless I turned off the O/D.
I had to work a half day today, so when my replacement showed up I was able to put it on a lift and do a drain and fill. A lot of people have said that gets rid of the shudder, I figured what the hell?...can't hurt.
So, I proceeded to drop the pan, the fluid was pretty brown and smelly. I have no idea when or if it's ever been changed.
I have a filter and drain plug kit, but they were at home and I wanted to put some fresh LV in there with a BG transmission conditioner...
View attachment 92799

After cleaning the pan and gasket...
View attachment 92798
...I put it back together and filled it up using our BG power steering machine, it sucks the fluid right out of the quart bottle.
If you've ever done this you know it's not a job where you can take a few pics as you go along. It's messy.

The result...it didn't shudder at all on my way home! It shifted very smooth and felt really good.
I am going to drop the pan next week and change the filter, I will do the drain plug kit at the same time.
I had the exact same symptoms as you with the tranny. The dealer recommended I use SP fluid though. It seems like SP trans fluid is going out of style though. what made you go with LV?

I read on this site a few guys used LV and their trans felt better.
Plus, the guys in my shop (Ford dealer) recommended I use LV when I did the drain and fill.

Believe it or not, but I was noticing some little, green drops on the ground when I parked at certain places...and not all the time.
WTF?
The only place where I could see coolant was where the two halves of the fan shroud come together...and of course some at the bottom where it appeared to run down.
The drips that made it to the ground were more under the passenger side.

I also noticed that the level in my overflow/reservoir was not staying where I would fill it. So, I figured I would start there.
Installed a new one today...
IMG_5658.JPG

The part number did change, so hopefully this will work.
IMG_5659.JPG

I also let it run a while and reach operating temp, watching for the thermostat to open with the radiator cap off...just in case there was any air in the system that I didn't get out when I did the radiator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok...I had some parent-teacher conferences this morning for my 3 boys and when we parked I noticed more green drips on the ground, more than usual.
WTF?...at the second conference I looked on the ground and nothing, not one drop.
The reservoir/overflow still reading normal...BUT, I did notice this when I got home from work...
IMG_5670.JPG

...zoomed out a little...
IMG_5669.JPG

...that's the upper radiator hose and clamp on the right.

I don't know what to do now...get another Ford one?...use a different brand?

I do know a guy from back in the day that does radiators, I might stop in and see him on Saturday. He has to have seen this issue before, maybe he has a fix.

Back