New Tuner By Diablo | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Tuner By Diablo

Little more experimenting

I had been thinking going back to stock tune to see how (bad?) the truck feels. I did that yesterday and it was smaller difference that I thought.

Today I did do a 0-60 and quarter mile test with stock tune (but with Gibson cat back). I also did clean my throttle body before the run. After that I loaded the 87-octane tune and rerun the test. There was not much driving after the tune was loaded, so the truck had no chance to learn the new tune. (I should let it learn about a week and rerun the test one more time to see how much the learning can improve things. Stay tuned...)

0-60 1/8 mile 1/4 mile
Stock 7.53s 10.27@70.9 15.83@89.7
Tuned 7.17s 10.07@71.3 15.60@90.3

The above times are measured with G-tech Pro Fanatic SS.

The biggest difference seem to be at the initial launch: With stock tune the tires did not even chirp but with tune there is slight amount of wheelspin suggesting a stronger launch.

Last year with everything stock I got around 7.7-7.8s 0-60 times.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had been thinking going back to stock tune to see how (bad?) the truck feels. I did that yesterday and it was smaller difference that I thought.

Today I did do a 0-60 and quarter mile test with stock tune (but with Gibson cat back). I also did clean my throttle body before the run. After that I loaded the 87-octane tune and rerun the test. There was not much driving after the tune was loaded, so the truck had no chance to learn the new tune. (I should let it learn about a week and rerun the test one more time to see how much the learning can improve things. Stay tuned...)

0-60 1/8 mile 1/4 mile
Stock 7.53s 10.27@70.9 15.83@89.7
Tuned 7.17s 10.07@71.3 15.60@90.3

The above times are measured with G-tech Pro Fanatic SS.

The biggest difference seem to be at the initial launch: With stock tune the tires did not even chirp but with tune there is slight amount of wheelspin suggesting a stronger launch.

Last year with everything stock I got around 7.7-7.8s 0-60 times.

nice to see some time difference.
Since im up at 4,800 feet i lost a good amount of power and never was able to chirp the tires and still cant. When i first moved here to Utah from Up state NY (500feet) i felt a big power lose. The tune pretty much gave back the feeling and power of sea level. also the better throttle response and shifting. I cant wait till i get a chance to get back down below 1,000 feet or so.

1/4 mile after week ECU learning

Just run 1/4 mile test after week of letting ECU learn, and results are practically identical to the first run with no time for ECU to learn. This time I had less gas (less weight) so I was expecting to see a slight reduction in time, but not.

I did capture the engine PID's during the run. It seems that at WOT the engine has learned Long Term Fuel Trim for Bank 1 is slightly positive while Bank 2 is at 0. This means ECU is adding fuel to Bank 1 side when compared to 'default' tune. The O2 sensors and A/F ratio (12.05) suggest slightly rich, which I think is typical for Fords. If the A/F was slightly leaner there should be more power but with increased risk of engine damage. Another thing I notice is that at WOT the throttle only opens to about 76%, which seems a bit low? Timing advance is about 10 degrees at 4200 and 21 degrees at 5800 RPM.

I also stumbled to this informative Motorcraft site. It has links to OBD manuals that have lots of good info about how the ECU works. Primarily this is for troubleshooting purposes.
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/default.asp?pageid=diagnostic_theory&gutsid=diagsheet

Has anyone use the Diablo i-Tune 1000 with a 2010 Mercury mountaineer 4.6L v8? Their website does not show it as being supported. (But does have the 2010 Explorer listed)

Has anyone use the Diablo i-Tune 1000 with a 2010 Mercury mountaineer 4.6L v8? Their website does not show it as being supported. (But does have the 2010 Explorer listed)

Don't know. But email there tech support and they will get back to you and if it's just a simple add on or change they will prob do it for free. They have fixed a problem with my tune once and updated it with slam new stuff and made it even better.

Very interested in a tuner! Couple questions though. Is there a tire size calibration on it? Can you list what modifications you have? (CAI, Exhaust, ect...) Also, I pull a 12ft enclosed trailer with my explorer. Never the less I was slightly unimpressed with the pulling capabilities of the v8. Alot to do with my 3:55 gear I'm sure. But I don't want to create Trans issues having a performance tune uploaded while pulling a trailer.

Well the tuner was great, But im getting rid of my Explorer so i De-Tuned it and freed up the license so now I am looking to sell my tuner. Paid $350 asking $225 shipped. OBO

Well the tuner was great, But im getting rid of my Explorer so i De-Tuned it and freed up the license so now I am looking to sell my tuner. Paid $350 asking $225 shipped. OBO

I'd be interested in purchasing if someone knew if this was also AWD Mercury Mountaineer compatible....

I'd be interested in purchasing if someone knew if this was also AWD Mercury Mountaineer compatible....
Just email there support and they will let you know

anyone point me in the direction of a tuner / device that can adjust the speedo or will the tuner be able to do that? not familair with this type of stuff

With time gone by - what is mileage and perf experience on DIABLO TUNE?

Another tune better?

I have used the diablo tuner on a 05 Mustang V6 and the V8 GT. Its ok but now about to try the Hypertech for Ford. Was very impressed with that tuner in a F-150

The 05 Mustang has the same engine essentially

What difference did you see

Mileage?

Acceleration
Shift point smoothness
Big down on shift

The acceleration was much stronger, but mileage started out better then dropped right back down about 11 mpg for me. But i do drive very hard ;)

Thanks

I noted a stronger acceleration by adding a inlet scoop but no mileage increase

Very interested in a tuner! Couple questions though. Is there a tire size calibration on it? Can you list what modifications you have? (CAI, Exhaust, ect...) Also, I pull a 12ft enclosed trailer with my explorer. Never the less I was slightly unimpressed with the pulling capabilities of the v8. Alot to do with my 3:55 gear I'm sure. But I don't want to create Trans issues having a performance tune uploaded while pulling a trailer.
Yes tire calibration, trans shift firmness, and top speed set by tire rate thru tuner.
No check engine light

Back