Seven Days Five Trails Who is up for it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seven Days Five Trails Who is up for it?

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
After watching 4 Wheel and Off Road Ultimate Adventures over the years I think it is time to do my version of this. Having fun in Moab this year being able to do multiple days of wheeling back to back I have come up with my own version. Instead of trails spread out by hundreds of miles and costing a small fortune to travel to and from the trails, I have a nice group of trails nearby that would make for a great adventure. I am looking for a few people that are just as crazy as me to attempt this. I have done all of these trails within the last two years. Some of the requirements to accomplish this are as follows:

Lockers front and rear
35" or larger tires
Winch
Ability and desire to tent camp for six- eight days strait.
Carry enough food and water for 5 days without restocking.
Ability to carry 20 plus gallon of fuel. You need enough to cover 100 miles of pavement and 40 miles in 4 low off road.
Sliders, Skid plates, and tow points front and rear.
A good attitude.

Recommended:
Ham radio. It allows for easy communication without having to be in the dust of the person in front of you. A $30 handheld is more then enough.
Fishing gear. Some of the lakes along the routes have awesome trout fishing.
If you have a manual trans a doubler or Atlas tcase is HIGHLY recommended.

So what trails do you ask?
Dusy Ershim http://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/dusy-ershim-4x4-trail
Mirror Lake
Coyote Lake http://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/coyote-lake-4x4-trail?ref=search
Swamp Lake http://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/swamp-lake-4x4-trail?ref=search

If time allows:
Bald Mountain
Brewer Lake
Strawberry Lake

What dates? I am thinking of hitting the trail Sunday morning August 27, 2017. The last trail would be finished the afternoon of Saturday September 2, 2017. This schedule allows travel to the Fresno/ Shaver Lake area on a Saturday. Then you drive home the following Sunday. Monday of Labor Day to relax at home before you go back to work on Tuesday.

Theoretically you could join for part or all of the trip.

You have eleven and a half months to plan for this. Who is in :burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the trip to and from would be a beast from the east, but the trails look incredible

This is my daughter from our fishing trip to Mirror Lake over labor day.

20160903_135405.jpg

the trip to and from would be a beast from the east, but the trails look incredible
I am very fortunate to have some amazing wheeling within a few hours of my house. I have spent somewhere around 15 days this year on these trails. Add 5 days in Moab and I have done a fair bit if wheeling this year.

Yup, it certainly looks like it!!!!

I would love to do something like that some day. Thanks for the Invite!

Being so far away, and the time needed for both travel and trip time is something that I'm not sure I could do, even if the finance's allowed. Would be great to pull this off, if possible. I will stay tuned in the meantime.

This definitely give me time to plan, but I can't say for sure until it gets closer. Looks like a great adventure :D

Looks like a fun trip, I won't commit just yet but definitely interested. If I did this trip I'd need to get new tires, my KM2's are dried out and cracking so I wouldn't trust them for long distances. Keep you posted.

Seems like a great adventure, with good people. Can't commit now, but would really like to do that. Okay if I invite my buddy Mike Kelley?

Think a full independent vehicle (ie 3rd gen) could handle these trails if outfitted properly?

Think a full independent vehicle (ie 3rd gen) could handle these trails if outfitted properly?

Honestly I don't know. I haven't wheeled with a third gen enough to know what they are capable of. The lack of suspension flex would cause for some interesting lines to have to be taken. The trails are pretty tight and more then likely would cause some body damage. I think a well skid plated and equipped rig and an owner who understands that there is a very good chance for body damage could make it. The best answer I could give is for the owner to do as much research on the listed trails and they can make the decision. Maybe more info on the rig and driver and I could give a better answer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll add this to my calendar! Probably have to drag the JK over crap, but it will be fun!

Back