RockRangerII Refresh | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RockRangerII Refresh

I am going to be going through my 93 ranger and giving it a refresh. I bought the truck in late 2004. Other then a rancho lift kt it was an all stock stripped truck with a 4.0 manual trans and tcase. No AC cruise or power windows. The perfect basic wheeling rig.

Here are the specs of how the truck currently sat before this refresh.

4.0V6 all stock
Stock 5 speed
d.d. machine duel case setup with manual 1350 front and 1354 rear.
Front axle is a 1984 Jeep wagonner dana 44 converted to 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern 4.88 gears and an Aussie locker
Three link front suspension using 8" skyjacker TJ springs.
Rear axle is a 1992 explorer 8.8 4.88 gears and welded spider gears.
63" Chevy springs with a bellteck shackle.
BroncoII tank behind the rear axle
Warn 9.5 XP winch behind the front grill.
Interior roll cage
37" MTR on 17" steel rims

11806351705_12f3ea8e7c_c.jpg

Untitled by dresselhausfc, on Flickr

I took the truck down to King of The Hammers and few years ago and did some wheeling and managed to crush the bed good. Broke both front hubs and all 4 front axles, bent the rear driveshaft and ripped a shock mount off. Due to life getting in the way it sat on the trailer for 18 months before I even touched it again. Now I plan to give the truck some love and get it back on the trials again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Where did you purchase the battery terminal connector you have pictured. I like that idea and I cannot seem to locate the one you have. Thanks again.

Very nice build man, hit me up when you do another snow run. Looks like you were in Kings Canyon.

They were in the Sierra National Forest. Might do something in Kings Canyon this year. Guess it depends on how much snow there is.

Where did you purchase the battery terminal connector you have pictured. I like that idea and I cannot seem to locate the one you have. Thanks again.

Amazon

NOCO TZKIT3 Lead-Free Military Grade Zinc Battery Terminal Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DNU3MIG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Awf-xbWY9E6QY

Right before Christmas 4 Wheel and Off Road magazine did a guess the weight of a rig contest on facebook. I won it and they send me a few license plates. I hung it on the wall of the garage next to the one I got in 2006 or 07 when they covered the EF Truckhaven run one year. Later in the year I got a picture of my truck in the magazine.

20170105_173424_001 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Got the overhead console in. Still having some issues with the thermometer reading right.

20161221_134043 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

After Christmas I met DB1 at Truckhaven and had a fun day wheeling at Truckhaven.

20161229_200230 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

20161228_114750 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Next is not so much a part for the truck but something I will use with the truck. We have been using a 27 gallon Action Packer for all of our cooking supplies when we go camping. I decided to build a new cook box that should be way more convenient and make setup and teardown much quicker. When closed it is roughly 30" long, 19" wide, and 20" tall. When fully open it is 58" long 18" deep and 36" tall. Still need to add handles latches a few drawers and stain it but you get the idea. Can't wait to try it out on the next camping trip.

20170108_112015 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

20170108_105543 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

20170108_143026 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

My truck came as a base model truck with no cargo light. trying to see what is in the bed at night was always a pain. I had some extra lights that I am using as rock lights and back up lights so I built a quick bracket and welded it to the cage. Then I wired it to the interior dome light circuit. So they come on as soon as you open the door.

20170201_104344 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

With the lights off in a mostly dark garage.

20170201_104310 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Lights on.

20170201_104323 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

I also got a file online to make a hanger for my Vice Grips. Cut it on my plasma table. Cleaned up some space in my toolbox.

20170201_104746 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Then I built a pressbrake for my harbor freight 20t press. I need some more quarter inch material so I can cut a few more die pieces. The lower die is 4 different sizes so it can be flipped depending on the thickness of material being bent.

20170201_115750 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

20170201_115805 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

20170201_115800 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

20170201_115645 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Good stuff Matt. Love the press brake, I'm sure you'll be making some cool stuff with that. The vice grip holder is a good idea, that would work good mounted to a bunch of different places.

Ok thank you. 26 gauge is tiny. I wired my lights in 12 gauge because I have a spool of it lol. Do you ever wheel near Death Valley. We are planning a run soon out there to camp at some hot springs I have never been to. Have a good night.

I want to get out there and do some wheeling but haven't. We are trying to plan a trip in April out of the Lone Pine area. It is going to be mostly dirt road driving and mine exploring. I want to go to Calico one of these days.

are you coming down for the truckhaven meet in May or TDS next month?

No on TDS and doubtful on the May run. With me working out of town 20 days a month, I like to be home on the weekends I have off when my daughter isn't at school. The April trip to Lone Pine we are doing is during her spring break.

So decided to do this yesterday. I sure like my floorjack spacers. Unbolted the bumper put the jack under it with a set of vice grips clamped to it and dropped the bumper. I have the bumper still balanced on the floor jack as I move it around the garage.

20170202_110415 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

20170202_121442 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

As far as I got so far.

20170203_142040 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

20170203_142048 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Back