Nitrous 1994 Explorer | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitrous 1994 Explorer

About a month ago I got Nitrous on my 1994 Explorer and I've been waiting to try it out at the track. Wednesday was the first Test & Tune night at Bandimere Speedway. Currently spraying 50 HP with NGK TR6 spark plugs. After a couple runs the spark plugs looked great. Probably gonna try a 75 shot sometime soon. I gotta thank user [MENTION=91966]jd4242[/MENTION] for his help on getting the kit installed.

Up here at 5800 feet above sea level, cars run a lot slower. With only a KKM intake and Dynomax muffer my fastest run ever was 19.30 at 70 mph.

Here at the time slips
20160428_115846_001.jpg

Quite a big drop in ET and good MPH gain. This kit was definatly worth it whether it's racing or just messing around on the streets.

Video of me at Bandimere Speedway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF8yaVFDRQE

This is the kit i used: http://www.amazon.com/Nitrous-Express-20421-10-Proton-System/dp/B004706C0Q?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Pf-4tbpAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=BVXFR76Y48TZXKX4W7Z1&ref_=pd_aw_sim_sbs_263_2&ref_=redir_mobile_desktop#immersive-view_1456289394090

The setup:
10lb Bottle
20160325_111346.jpg

Fuel and Nitrous lines
20160325_111418.jpg

Solenoids
20160325_111437.jpg

Engage Switch Off/On
20160429_171751.jpg

Fire button
20160429_171829.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I'm assuming they could put the new pulley on at NAPA too
If they get the old one off the new one should just slip right on..they arnt pressed or anything. .put some oil on the shaft and the inside of pulley to help it not get stuck again..

That nut normally isn't that hard to get off,it has or should have a lock washer on it so doesnt need to be supermaned tightened. .the pulley does sometimes get stuck on the shaft though

If they get the old one off the new one should just slip right on..they arnt pressed or anything. .put some oil on the shaft and the inside of pulley to help it not get stuck again..

That nut normally isn't that hard to get off,it has or should have a lock washer on it so doesnt need to be supermaned tightened. .the pulley does sometimes get stuck on the shaft though
Well we're having trouble getting the last two bolts on the alternator off so just gonna buy an impact wrench to gets thess off

Yep..shouldnt take you anytime
Alright. Any tips to help me get the alternator off. Couldn't get myself and impact wrench so we're stuck with hand tools. The old pulley got messed up so this thing ain't moving till we get the new one on

Nevermind. We finally got it

20160923_170943.jpg

Good job.looks like belt worked out too ;) should see "little" better cooling and brighter lights at idle.may take a meter to see the difference but its there.lol

Good job.looks like belt worked out too ;) should see "little" better cooling and brighter lights at idle.may take a meter to see the difference but its there.lol
Thanks. The guys at NAPA had lots of trouble getting the pulley off. Power at idle seems a little better. On startup it does squeak a little then goes away.

Thanks. The guys at NAPA had lots of trouble getting the pulley off. Power at idle seems a little better. On startup it does squeak a little then goes away.
Yea they like to get stuck especially being yours was a old OE unit..

It will just help your voltage just slightly, like i said earlier if your running alot of power stuff like Efans and stereo or additional lights you may want/need to get the 97 ,130amp unit..

You got that pulley pretty fast though and wouldnt worry about that squeak for now.your need a new belt once you get the UDP..i typically buy 3 belts,size i think i need,one 1/2" smaller and one 1/2" larger..then test fit them without starting it,you want it ""slightly"" on the tight side to start with,it will stretch some with time..then take back the 2 you dont use..

It took me 7 belts to figure out the 4.6 and i even used a strap to figure out the estimated size first,noone knew what size it needed so i was on my own with it

You got that pulley pretty fast though and wouldnt worry about that squeak for now.your need a new belt once you get the UDP..i typically buy 3 belts,size i think i need,one 1/2" smaller and one 1/2" larger..then test fit them without starting it,you want it ""slightly"" on the tight side to start with,it will stretch some with time..then take back the 2 you dont use..
How come i need to try 3 different belts? Wouldn't just one fit?

How come i need to try 3 different belts? Wouldn't just one fit?
Should..i just get extra in case..once you run it you cant take the belt back so definitely wanna be sure its right one

Should..i jist get extra in case..once you run it you cant take the belt back so definitely wanna be sure its right one
How difficult is it to install the UDP? I can't seemed to find a detailed thread on how to install one.

How difficult is it to install the UDP? I can't seemed to find a detailed thread on how to install one.
You need a puller..advanced auto or other places rent it..its not that hard considering you have a efan already so dont need to pull the oe fan belt fan off

What is the curb weight of a 94 4x4 2 door explorer with manual trans? Can't seem to find one for the sport. I would assume it would be somewhat lighter than the 4 door.

What is the curb weight of a 94 4x4 2 door explorer with manual trans? Can't seem to find one for the sport. I would assume it would be somewhat lighter than the 4 door.
Not by much..sport is probably around 4300 without you in it..none of the tracks have a scale??

Not by much..sport is probably around 4300 without you in it..none of the tracks have a scale??
Bandimere does but it says "No trucks". I don't really know if I'm allowed on it or not. I'll weigh it next season. I used one of the online calculators to figure out my horsepower with my best ET and the weight with me in it. Says around 203 RWHP. That sound right?

Bandimere does but it says "No trucks". I don't really know if I'm allowed on it or not. I'll weigh it next season. I used one of the online calculators to figure out my horsepower with my best ET and the weight with me in it. Says around 203 RWHP. That sound right?
Yea probably close with a 75 shot and your location. .

Stock is 160 at crank..figure a 25-30% loss for drivetrain,4x4,tires and being old..most OHV only do around 120-130 RWHP to ground stock..

You can build the motor up and most get up to around 200 RWHP on a 2wd model. ...this motor isn't about HP though, its the TQ..

With a built motor you would be just a little faster than you are now with Nitrous. .add nitrous to a built motor and these things haul butt for what they are..the nitrous will also make more power on a higher compression 10:1,cammed motor..

If you want a fun cheap track truck,id look for a cheap 2wd 4.0 5 speed ranger,preferably 95+ or a 95+ 2wd 5speed explorer sport..you can get them under a grand normally if not cheaper..then throw all the nitrous on it you want..lol

With a built motor you would be just a little faster than you are now with Nitrous. .add nitrous to a built motor and these things haul butt for what they are..the nitrous will also make more power on a higher compression 10:1,cammed motor..
How much hp increase could i get with the 422 cam and 95tm heads without the nitrous? if I'm at 10:1 compression would i need to run 91 all the time?

Back