Rearview Camera Problems | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm in the same boat as you. My backup camera shows a mirror image every time I put it in reverse. I have scoured the internet and found there are places that list it for around $90-$100, but I have placed an order with two different online sites to quickly find out they also upped their price to around $300 (ish). It feels so disgusting they are charging so much for such a simple device. Especially given its failure rate. I refuse to pay that much. I guess I'll have to live with it for now.
Check out these two links. These are used parts but one has been tested and the other has a 90 day warranty.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2011-2013-For...-Chrome-Applique-OEM-/311697688400?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2013-2015-FOR...OEM-PART-FITS-OTHERS-/122139057574?nav=SEARCH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for checking into it Hawk701! Being that these cameras appear to have a 3-5 year life expectancy, I'm a little worried about spending $100+ on a used camera that has a high probability of going out soon. I definitely appreciate your response though.

Thanks for checking into it Hawk701! Being that these cameras appear to have a 3-5 year life expectancy, I'm a little worried about spending $100+ on a used camera that has a high probability of going out soon. I definitely appreciate your response though.
Perhaps the reason the cost went up was because of an improvement to the cameras. Don't really know but overall the camera failure rate doesn't seem to be that much out of line with the rate of some other component failures/issues. Personally I wouldn't be too happy about spending $300 to fix a camera on a $50k vehicle but I wouldn't hesitate to do it since I find the camera a very handy item to have.

Peter

Hello everyone I have a 2011 explorer xlt. My camara stopped working and I'm looking to change it. My question is does a camara from a 2016 work or and camara From a 2013 work too. Found these two online for a good price

Hello everyone I have a 2011 explorer xlt. My camara stopped working and I'm looking to change it. My question is does a camara from a 2016 work or and camara From a 2013 work too. Found these two online for a good price
Not sure about the 2016 but the 2013 should be the same as what you have. The only problem is that being a 2013 you may be back with the same problem before too long. The 2011 and 2013 have the same part number EB5Z-19G490-A. The 2016 has a completely different number.
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...era&p=catalog&mode=search&scat=&search_in=all

Peter

Thought I would give an update. I took my Ex in last Tuesday for the camera. I showed the service adviser pictures and video of the camera acting up. It was cool and overcast that day and the camera was functioning fine. I figured that they wouldn't do anything, but I was wrong. Apparently the camera had logged a code. It was DTC B115E:01. The technician cleared the coded, ran the self test again and the code came back. They replaced the camera, reran the self test again and this time no code. So it appears that the camera may still function even if it is setting diagnostic codes. I haven't been able to locate what that particular code indicates, but I imagine that is is monitoring a signal coming out of the camera itself. I also think, based on what my camera was doing, that the camera module is performing the digital to analog conversion itself, sending an analog video feed back to the APIM. I am not sure why you would do this instead of sending a digital signal, but that appears to be why the camera has to be programmed as overlaying the guidelines is done in the digital domain prior to the analog conversion.

Thought I would give an update. I took my Ex in last Tuesday for the camera. I showed the service adviser pictures and video of the camera acting up. It was cool and overcast that day and the camera was functioning fine. I figured that they wouldn't do anything, but I was wrong. Apparently the camera had logged a code. It was DTC B115E:01. The technician cleared the coded, ran the self test again and the code came back. They replaced the camera, reran the self test again and this time no code. So it appears that the camera may still function even if it is setting diagnostic codes. I haven't been able to locate what that particular code indicates, but I imagine that is is monitoring a signal coming out of the camera itself. I also think, based on what my camera was doing, that the camera module is performing the digital to analog conversion itself, sending an analog video feed back to the APIM. I am not sure why you would do this instead of sending a digital signal, but that appears to be why the camera has to be programmed as overlaying the guidelines is done in the digital domain prior to the analog conversion.

B115E:01 Camera Module: General Electrical Failure Sets when the video camera status indicates corrupted data with in the video camera. CLEAR the DTCs and REPEAT the self-test. If DTC B115E:01 is retrieved again, INSTALL a new video camera. REFER to Video Camera.

Does anyone have a pointer to the schematic/wiring diagram for the backup camera in a 2011 Explorer Limited?

Mine stopped working. When I took the trim piece off I noticed that one of the license plate lights was out. I flicked it and the light came on and the camera then worked for a day or so. I figured there was a bad connection/wire or ground somewhere so today I took it completely out and unwrapped the wiring to find the bad connection. The bulbs seem to be on completely separate wiring (two black wires run to the bulbs) However, I think the license plate bulb was a red herring. It is on solid now and working but the camera doesn't work at all. I do not see a bad connector or wire anywhere and playing with wires I don't see anything wrong.

My camera has 6 wires running into it three of which come down a small white jacket the others are just loose. They are green, white, black, red, mauve, purple. The black, red, and purple come down the white cable together. The purple is crimp connected to what I believe is the (bare) shield wire inside the white jacket.

Does anyone have a pointer to the schematic/wiring diagram for the backup camera in a 2011 Explorer Limited?

Mine stopped working. When I took the trim piece off I noticed that one of the license plate lights was out. I flicked it and the light came on and the camera then worked for a day or so. I figured there was a bad connection/wire or ground somewhere so today I took it completely out and unwrapped the wiring to find the bad connection. The bulbs seem to be on completely separate wiring (two black wires run to the bulbs) However, I think the license plate bulb was a red herring. It is on solid now and working but the camera doesn't work at all. I do not see a bad connector or wire anywhere and playing with wires I don't see anything wrong.

My camera has 6 wires running into it three of which come down a small white jacket the others are just loose. They are green, white, black, red, mauve, purple. The black, red, and purple come down the white cable together. The purple is crimp connected to what I believe is the (bare) shield wire inside the white jacket.
Given that yours is a 2011 and that there have been many cameras failing on the early model years lately, I doubt the issue is with the wiring but with the camera itself.

Peter

Given that yours is a 2011 and that there have been many cameras failing on the early model years lately, I doubt the issue is with the wiring but with the camera itself.

Peter

The weird thing is that it worked for a day after I "flicked" the light next to it. I suppose that could just be an intermittent camera module but...

Is there a cheaper place to buy the module? My dealer wants $403 and if it doesn't fix the problem I can't return it. Even unopened, there is a restocking fee.

The part number on the module itself is: BB5T-19G490-AC and I can't seem to find that in the Ford Parts info online.

PS: I found a pinout on the connector online. I put a multimeter on the pins coming to the camera and there is 13VDC coming to the camera. Also the ground appears to be good - that is, it shows 0.1 ohms against the license plate lights ground side. So it isn't a power issue.

The weird thing is that it worked for a day after I "flicked" the light next to it. I suppose that could just be an intermittent camera module but...

Is there a cheaper place to buy the module? My dealer wants $403 and if it doesn't fix the problem I can't return it. Even unopened, there is a restocking fee.

The part number on the module itself is: BB5T-19G490-AC and I can't seem to find that in the Ford Parts info online.

PS: I found a pinout on the connector online. I put a multimeter on the pins coming to the camera and there is 13VDC coming to the camera. Also the ground appears to be good - that is, it shows 0.1 ohms against the license plate lights ground side. So it isn't a power issue.
See post 315 for some pricing info.

Peter

See post 315 for some pricing info.

Peter

Turns out a company called LKQ (used parts supplier) was driving distance from me and had a rear trim piece for the 2011 Explorer including the camera, wiring harness, and license plate lights. Got the whole thing for $180. Woohoo! Turned out to the be the camera module. So I now have an extra rear trim piece with lights and wiring harness.

-Tom

Hello everyone,

My camera just started failing three days ago did the fuse 29 and 32 to no avail. I have read vast part of this post which has been very useful, my take would be clean up the connections first then if that wont work I will just buy a replacement camera and change it myself.

Korak.

Hello everyone,

My camera just started failing three days ago did the fuse 29 and 32 to no avail. I have read vast part of this post which has been very useful, my take would be clean up the connections first then if that wont work I will just buy a replacement camera and change it myself.

Korak.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
My thinking is that the camera will have to be replaced given the number of 2011 Explorers that have needed that. I think that you'll also notice an improved picture.
Please add the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) of the Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can at times be helpful info. Thanks.

Peter

This is what problem i had on my 2013 Ex Linited. When i checked with my Service Rep who knows his stuff, he said it was the camera and needed to be replace
Well i just got back from having a New Camera installed. Works fine now and thank you god for making me get Insurance for repairs

tmp_26945-20161121_144906-1548814555.jpg

This is what problem i had on my 2013 Ex Linited. When i checked with my Service Rep who knows his stuff, he said it was the camera and needed to be replace
Well i just got back from having a New Camera installed. Works fine now and thank you god for making me get Insurance for repairs

View attachment 94992

I am having the same issue with camera unavailable in my 2012 Limited. I took out the camera just to see if wiring was an issue and hoping that might solve the issue but no luck. I haven't tried the fuse yet but will tonight but given this thread, it is likely the camera module as many are failing around this time. My dealer wants over $650 for this part which probably costs $20 to make and a few short years ago was much cheaper. I am looking online, the part itself shows the part no. as BB5T-19G490-AE but places on ebay show that BB5Z-19G490-A is compatible. Is this the case and are there any others or aftermarket cams available or part numbers people have had success with? I am in Canada if that helps.

I am having the same issue with camera unavailable in my 2012 Limited. I took out the camera just to see if wiring was an issue and hoping that might solve the issue but no luck. I haven't tried the fuse yet but will tonight but given this thread, it is likely the camera module as many are failing around this time. My dealer wants over $650 for this part which probably costs $20 to make and a few short years ago was much cheaper. I am looking online, the part itself shows the part no. as BB5T-19G490-AE but places on ebay show that BB5Z-19G490-A is compatible. Is this the case and are there any others or aftermarket cams available or part numbers people have had success with? I am in Canada if that helps.
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...arch&search_in=all&search_str=rearview camera
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oe-ford/eb5z19g490a
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/ShoppingCart.aspx
I'm not aware of any Canadian sites off hand.

Peter

Well it looks easy to install of i purchased the camera off of EBAY. But i did have the insurance and it was less expensive if i use my repair insurance, i only had to use my deductable which was 100.00 for the camera, and being installed total was 876.00
Good luck with yours and keep us up to date
Oh, i think there are different camera stock numbers for different years and ths prices are also different
Steve

Thanks for the links Peter. Looks like part no. below also works for almost all explorers from 2011-2015. And the first link seems to be the cheapest I have seen...will let you know how it goes.

EB5Z-19G490-A

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I ordered the EB5Z-19G490-A from the first link at white bear lake. They got in touch and said that based on my VIN, it is a different part number (BB5Z-19G490-A) but on their site, it says the first part number supports my model. Both of these don't match the one I pulled out of my vehicle so this is super confusing, which part do I take the risk on, the VIN one seems to be safer bet but is $35 USD more (over $45 CAD) on an already hefty price.

Back