Ford Explorer M90 future build. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer M90 future build.

Hey! :D

So I just read alot of threads of people that has sc their ohv explorer.

I have wanted to do it a long time now. But not sure what i need. :confused2:

The List i have come up with to now is:
-Supercharger M90
-New injectors
-New MAF
-New fuel pump
-Intercooler(if i go over 5psi??)
-wideband
-New drivebelt
-New MAP
-Intake manifold adapter for the SC
-New gaskets

I don't going to rebuild the engine any time soon. So looking at a small power increase. Maybe 180HP or so? :rolleyes:

The Trans will hold as long as it does... But will add coolers on it. Just in case, maybe a auxiliary filter too!

But the truck is a 1995, so i will have problem with tuning it. So how is a smart way to deal with the OBD1? :dunno:

The truck got 150k miles on it. Don't hope that will be a big problem?

This will be the first time i do something this big to a truck. But I'am not dumd as a clown. So I think i will manage it! :thumbsup:

If you have something that can help me with my project, it would be great! :bow:

So wish me the best of luck, cheers fellow Explorers! :chug:

Posting a picture or two of the Truck, so you can imagne how cool it will be with a M90! :bounce:

t7jyo5.jpg

20g193c.jpg
[/IMG]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When i start the build. I also will Make a build thread. So you all can see how the progress goes! :chug:

Don't forget all the "small parts" you're going to need to make this work they tend to add up and can be easily overlooked. For example, Oil lines, coolant lines, vac lines, intake parts and fittings, PCV plumbing/venting or however you do it, vac/boost gauge and lines,

An oil cooler/sandwich and lines in addition to the trans cooler is a good idea, the oil will have added heat from the extra power and lubricating the supercharger. Keep in mind added plumbing reduces pressure so don't go too big on the lines or a higher psi oil pump would become necessary but you'd have to tear the engine down further than you want.

Depending on the state of your engine little leaks and anomalies will show them selves and become much more pronounced when you start adding power and boost pressure even at 5psi.

What is the state of your cooling system?
How old are your heads/gaskets?

Does your trans have the upgraded valve body with the filter and the shift kit?
Tuning the trans will go hand in hand with upping the power on the engine for the appropriate shift points at the right pressures. So however you tune you have to account for that

For tuning OBD 1. The best option for quick turnaround is finding a local tuner/tuner dealer that can do it.

Another option is go for a programmable FMU or aftermarket programmable ECU with transmission control but the ones I am thinking are expensive could easily nearly double the project cost

What injectors, MAF and fuel pump do you plan on using?

If you find a kit on eBay or something it's not likely to be cheap and most are for the SOHC as the OHV ones were mostly discontinued and are therefore rare and usually only will get you the charger and upper intake adapter.

Something to think about is how long you want to wait to make it driveable doing it all yourself v how much money you want to spend and your future mods plan or potential.

I told myself years ago reading through the forum I would never turbocharge...Tuning my obd2 turbo project alone took me 6-8months and was the majority of my project and I always find there is some tweaking I want to do having done it myself and that's reasonably easier than obd1. I spent some money and got tuning software spent time reading material to teach myself and recieved a base tune that was nowhere near where my set-up needed to be. I could justify this as my truck is a hobby of mine and I've accepted I'll be modding it in the future so having the tuning ability myself is in the long term cheaper. Looking at your truck I have a feeling you're probably going to wind up wanting to go over 5psi pretty quickly if/when you get that far. But it is at a cost and something to be considered.

I would just recommend gathering up all of the required parts before starting to build anything, have patients and perseverance as it can add up in cost quickly little problems will begin to show themselves much more as you go and it will take time. So do a lot of research and plan it out well and it will come together for you. Another forum that has a lot of good information on this base platform is The Ranger Station as well.

Hope you find my rambling useful, good luck.

Starters a 95 would be obd2

Next..180hp..and want to keep low boost,around 5psi......ahhaha sorry that one is good..

A m90 makes about 8-10hp per pound of boost...you would be lucky if you got 45hp at 5lbs of boost..not 180 hp...you may make 180 hp to the ground after the supercharger. .stock a OHV does around 140 RWHP to ground..

Lastly a m90 doesn't need oil lines or any of that..also as far as i know noone makes a mount for the M90 and especially noone makes one with a intercooler built in..if you do find a regular kit it would be used..good luck and keep your eyes open

O and i dont gonna post a picture to ""imagine"" how cool it would be..i know how cool it is..lol

My built ranger OHV with M90 Intercooled and one kit nitrous
20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

FB_IMG_1465318091969_zpscglbdf9b.jpg

And purge video

And my explorer with built OHV with M90 Intercooled, old pic.

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

Starters a 95 would be obd2

Next..180hp..and want to keep low boost,around 5psi......ahhaha sorry that one is good..

A m90 makes about 8-10hp per pound of boost...you would be lucky if you got 45hp at 5lbs of boost..not 180 hp...you may make 180 hp to the ground after the supercharger. .stock a OHV does around 140 RWHP to ground..

Lastly a m90 doesn't need oil lines or any of that..also as far as i know noone makes a mount for the M90 and especially noone makes one with a intercooler built in..if you do find a regular kit it would be used..good luck and keep your eyes open

Hi!
Thanks alot for great info man! Much appreciated :chug:

And i meant 180hp at the wheels/engine at 5 psi boost ofc :) Not a ricer :nono:

Will make a plan, but I live in North Norway. So all i need is in the US... So looking for parts now and then...

Thinking to get a walbro 255L fuel pump:)dunno:), 36lb injectors and MAF I'm not sure... Will a 70mm Vortech work?

All new to this, and ready to learn!

I do all the work with the car my self, and i like it that way. So i want to learn the most i can learn about cars before i maybe do something bigger in the future. Not that supercharging a car is not big enough! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The cooling system is all good. No leaks and the water pump work great. But is 21 years old, so maybe it needs a update soon. :rolleyes:

The same with the head gasket, it's from 1995, So maybe change that to a reinforced head gasket aswell. :)

Can i install a extra ECU or add a a extra ECU with the orginal ECU ? Or do i just have to research about that more? :p

The OBD2 does not work with my car... I have tried.... So that's why i talking about an extra ECU...

That's all i have to say for now, hope you have something more to add

Cheers! :chug:

Hi!
Thanks alot for great info man! Much appreciated :chug:

And i meant 180hp at the wheels/engine at 5 psi boost ofc :) Not a ricer :nono:

Will make a plan, but I live in North Norway. So all i need is in the US... So looking for parts now and then...

Thinking to get a walbro 255L fuel pump:)dunno:), 36lb injectors and MAF I'm not sure... Will a 70mm Vortech work?

All new to this, and ready to learn!

I do all the work with the car my self, and i like it that way. So i want to learn the most i can learn about cars before i maybe do something bigger in the future. Not that supercharging a car is not big enough! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The cooling system is all good. No leaks and the water pump work great. But is 21 years old, so maybe it needs a update soon. :rolleyes:

The same with the head gasket, it's from 1995, So maybe change that to a reinforced head gasket aswell. :)

Can i install a extra ECU or add a a extra ECU with the orginal ECU ? Or do i just have to research about that more? :p

The OBD2 does not work with my car... I have tried.... So that's why i talking about an extra ECU...

That's all i have to say for now, hope you have something more to add

Cheers! :chug:
You dont have a obd2 port under the steering wheel??

A vortech would be much easier than a M90..you honestly dont need anything else if you only plan 5psi..maybe a FMU and 255 pump..you dont need injectors,maf,intercooler till over 8 psi really..

ive run 10 psi on stock injectors, maf and stock tune. .didnt run at max performance but ran..

You dont have a obd2 port under the steering wheel??

A vortech would be much easier than a M90..you honestly dont need anything else if you only plan 5psi..maybe a FMU and 255 pump..you dont need injectors,maf,intercooler till over 8 psi really..

ive run 10 psi on stock injectors, maf and stock tune. .didnt run at max performance but ran..

Hi again! :)

Yes, the OBD port is there. But it don't got all the pins needed. So no obd2 "computers" work on my or can read my fault codes(not that i have any, yet:p)

For some time back, the car just stooped. Back when my uncle own it. That was i got it... :) So i could find out what the fault back then was... Made a topic here back then. I got alot of help(i was all new to cars back then, didn't know what a turbo or what cars had it back then :Dhaha). But after some years when the passion for cars and mecanic come to me, i learned alot. And now i know how everything works on cars. So i have come a loong way. :thumbsup:
But back to the problem :p Find out that it was the PATS system that had gone bad... So the anti theft system was on. Because the car "lost" connection to the key. So the all you did hear, was clicking noise from the relays when you turned the key to start...

After 4 years of sitting still, i got the car to a shop in the city with a tow truck. Because i didn't have the knowledge to make the car my self... 2 car shop before that had tried gettin it running. But no one did make it... So all good things is 3, and indeed it was :chug: .

When i got the car back from the shop, when it was finaly running. The fun began. Started to get known with wiring, maintenans, updates and started to order parts.

-Changed all interior to LED's
-added LED bars
-lifted it on the TT and added shackles in the back
-tinted windows
-added wind deflectors
-removed surface rust.
-Painted the old sunburnt plastic,
-custom made and welded a new 2.5'' exhaust with a flowmaster 40 dual
-added a new water temp sensor
-added a new watertemperaturesensor adapter with a new sensor
-bought new tires 32'' and procomp 15'' alloy rims
-New dynamo and oil and oil filter change.
-Some sticker tuning :p
-Added Hood vents
-added a bluetooth controller box for the LED lights i have mounted in under the front bumper and inside the grill.(Controll my light true my phone)
-Fixed up in some bad wiring in the back lights of the truck and for the trailer link
-Tinted the front headlights
-Changed the old player for a bluetooth one, with a subwoofer with 4x8'' rockford fosgate and a pioner amp
-changed the air filter

I have done all this since Januar 2016, so i learning fast.

Youtubers like Chrisfix have helped me alot in the learning prosses for sure!

The Things left to do is.
-Change oil and filter in the transmission
-Change oil on both diff's
-Change oil on the transfer case
-Change transfer case seal
-Change front diff seal
-Change sparks plugs(got 6 new champions, but i haven't change out the old yet, because i heard the motocraft is best to use? Don't have misfire(yet) so havn't stressed doing it yet.)
-Change fuel filter
-Change engine oil and filter in about 5000km or before. Driven 7k on the oil now.
-Change the drivebelt(it's not whinging yet)
-Buy ned shocks, maybe Rancho.
-Get a alignment (because of the lift)
- Get a higher gear ratio because of the bigger tires.
- Change the O2 sensor because they are old, and thinking that would help on the MPG

So I have alot on the to do list too :thumbsup:

But now i'm of topic...

The reason i want to run at that low boost, is because i want to get to know how it's works out. Before i go all in with rebuilting the engine with forced internals. And getting a new trans that can handle all that new power, if you know what i mean. That means that i can build up power along with my new experience. :D Maybe dumd thinking, but but :D We all have to start one place, right?

Got alot of the stuff i have done to my truck on my instagram... So you see i don't talking alot of bullshit :)

Yes, yes :)

Don't forget all the "small parts" you're going to need to make this work they tend to add up and can be easily overlooked. For example, Oil lines, coolant lines, vac lines, intake parts and fittings, PCV plumbing/venting or however you do it, vac/boost gauge and lines,

An oil cooler/sandwich and lines in addition to the trans cooler is a good idea, the oil will have added heat from the extra power and lubricating the supercharger. Keep in mind added plumbing reduces pressure so don't go too big on the lines or a higher psi oil pump would become necessary but you'd have to tear the engine down further than you want.

Depending on the state of your engine little leaks and anomalies will show them selves and become much more pronounced when you start adding power and boost pressure even at 5psi.

What is the state of your cooling system?
How old are your heads/gaskets?

Does your trans have the upgraded valve body with the filter and the shift kit?
Tuning the trans will go hand in hand with upping the power on the engine for the appropriate shift points at the right pressures. So however you tune you have to account for that

For tuning OBD 1. The best option for quick turnaround is finding a local tuner/tuner dealer that can do it.

Another option is go for a programmable FMU or aftermarket programmable ECU with transmission control but the ones I am thinking are expensive could easily nearly double the project cost

If you find a kit on eBay or something it's not likely to be cheap and most are for the SOHC as the OHV ones were mostly discontinued and are therefore rare and usually only will get you the charger and upper intake adapter.

Something to think about is how long you want to wait to make it driveable doing it all yourself v how much money you want to spend and your future mods plan or potential.

I told myself years ago reading through the forum I would never turbocharge...Tuning my obd2 turbo project alone took me 6-8months and was the majority of my project and I always find there is some tweaking I want to do having done it myself and that's reasonably easier than obd1. I spent some money and got tuning software spent time reading material to teach myself and recieved a base tune that was nowhere near where my set-up needed to be. I could justify this as my truck is a hobby of mine and I've accepted I'll be modding it in the future so having the tuning ability myself is in the long term cheaper. Looking at your truck I have a feeling you're probably going to wind up wanting to go over 5psi pretty quickly if/when you get that far. But it is at a cost and something to be considered.

I would just recommend gathering up all of the required parts before starting to build anything, have patients and perseverance as it can add up in cost quickly little problems will begin to show themselves much more as you go and it will take time. So do a lot of research and plan it out well and it will come together for you. Another forum that has a lot of good information on this base platform is The Ranger Station as well.

Hope you find my rambling useful, good luck.

Hi and thanks for the write up!

The small parts need to be taken in with the whole deal. I have a plan to take it as i go. My mate can weld, and we welded my new exhaust. So now we can do everything :laugh: haha

Small diameter on lines, roger that!

The truck has been a daily driver for 21 years. So it has 245k KM on it around 150k miles. So it will show how long it will hold! Before the headgasket or some other gasket break. Or a piston or the piston ring says goooood bye :p Just more experince for me to gain! :thumbsup:

Cooling system is all good. Did change the termostat and did a flush on it. The coolant was clean when i did the flush.

The headgasket it 21 years old, so we will see how long it will hold :eek:

Does your trans have the upgraded valve body with the filter and the shift kit? to answer your question, I have no idea... The trans has a filter yeah. But that's all the info i can give you... :(

Tuning the trans with the engine. Rogher that sir :chug:

programmable FMU or aftermarket programmable ECU with transmission control, is expensive yes. But that would help alot with the how it is now...

Injectors: No idea, 36lb?

MAF: need to find out what people have used before and what i can use on my truck.

Fuel pump: The Walbro 255l ? Or a fuel pump with 100psi ?

The Mods will take the time it takes. Can find me another beater to use when i do the mods on the truck! :)

First the first, I did like to know how to tune a car. Because i can tune new cars in the fututere and it's alot cheaper that going to a tuner all the time for new tune! :)

Cars is a big hobby of mine too! And i like to work on cars. And the passion for cars have gotten bigger with the years of driving! It's not just a object that takes you A to B !

Indeed the research is importen! People have done this before. They have also been so kind to make topic all around the internet. So i just need to use that to get me going!

Took a look at the The Ranger Station, and that was a good page! Will use that often in the fututere! :)

I did find you rambling very useful btw! :chug:

Update: My trans is soon done... My low-sprag is badly worn... So i will need a rebuild.

Got an offer from a shop, they wanted 8000 nok = $1000 for rebuilding my trans. I'am thinking to take that offer.

Is it any other options, a diffrent trans that hold more abuse? A manual trans?

The trans tread: Ford Explorer OHV 4l OD Light flashing!

I also bougt a new car, a Subaru Impreza GC8 :thumbsup:

ZzbjCkk.jpg

So my Ford has been forgoten.... :(

The Plans for the Explorer now:

-Trans rebuilt
-Change Engine Oil and oil filter
-Change fuel filter
-paint the frame with some rust preventive paint (POR 15)
-Get a higher gear ratio because of the bigger tires

Right before the trans startet to slip, i changed the oil and the filter in it, got it some new sparks plugs and wires and a new mirror, so now it have the same mirrors on both sides :D

Yeah, so that is what is up here in North Norway. We have got some snow, so the Subaru are getting abused now :rolleyes:

-John :)

Back