Exhaust flange broken behind the cat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust flange broken behind the cat

TowingExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Central MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
The exhaust flange on my V8 just behind the cat is broken. The good news is that it is just a floating flange, not actually part of the pipe, so the pipe appears to actually be fine.

I'd prefer to just replace the flange if possible, but it seems my options are limited. Either a split flange or a flange repair kit, neither of which is flared like I assume the original might have been.

I also found this adapter from walker, which would just have me cutting off the end of the old pipe. The question here is, which I've found mixed posts in my searching, what exact size is the OE exhaust? I'd like to know this for certain before cutting the pipe off as I need to order the adapter.

Thoughts or opinions on any of this?

I've only got 92k miles on my X and the rest of the exhaust seems solid enough so I'm trying to avoid paying for a full catback just yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use a string or soft tape measure to get the circumference, then divide that number by 3.14 and that should be the diameter of your pipe.

The split flange from napa will work fine, it doesn't have to be flared...as long as the end of your y-pipe is solid enough to support the new flange.

Get a new spring kit too while you're there.

You probably could reuse them and just change the bolts. I was more or less just reminding you so you would have everything for when you do it.

Surprisingly, as the dealer told me the exhaust is regular mild steel, it looks to be in solid shape overall. Just this flange rotted off. That's why I'm trying for the flange replacement over cutting it off to put on a new stub with flange/flare.

The new donut gasket arrived from RockAuto today already, ordered just yesterday. The flange I don't expect to be stocked but you never know.

Update - I used a split flange as mentioned and had to increase the bolt length to 4" because it does not sit right at the flare. So far so good.

I did not use a spring because the bolts I used (Grade 5) were 3/8" and the springs were way too large in diameter. Considering the length of the bolts, I think they'll be able to pivot more than enough.

Towing Explorer, I am in the same boat now. Which flange did you buy and where? I couldn't find one big enough. Which gasket from Rock Auto? Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply. I used a split flange from Advance Auto https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/walker-flange-repair-kit-36132/26010005-P. I got both 2.25 and 2.5 inch ones and returned the one I did not use. Don't remember which now, sorry.

The gasket was the OE donut gasket as my pipes were still perfectly fine.

This fix is still holding up fine today! It went through a New England winter without any issues.

Hey Towing.... Tnx for the reply. We must have different exhausts. Mine is DEFINITELY 2.75 OD. I ended up ordering the donut gasket from the local dealer. Ford Part # 8L2Z5E241C. $22. I measured the ID of it 2.75" I installed it yesterday. Due to limited access/workspace in the vehicle, it took me about 1.5 hours to get each of the rusted bolts off. I used a dremel to cut a slice in each of the nuts and then one hit with a hammer and a cold chisel and the nut splits off. It took all of 10 minutes to put the gasket and bolt/spring kit in. It sill leaks slightly, under pressure but way better than it was. The Y pipe and flare pipe from the muffler don't seem to mate perfectly, there is a slight angle to the joint. I think when I had manifolds done years ago, they may not have got them aligned perfectly. It's good enough for now.

Pic here: https://tinyurl.com/ydbvk389

Thanks for the info

I don't know if they increased the size in the later models. Remember, my 2006 was the first year of the generation so I'm sure there were several improvements as the years progressed. It's also possible I got a 2.5 and 2.75" flanges and don't remember exactly.

Glad you got it sorted out. :thumbsup:

The split flange from napa will work fine, it doesn't have to be flared...as long as the end of your y-pipe is solid enough to support the new flange.

Get a new spring kit too while you're there.
Get a 2.25 Split Flange. That will work. May have to get longer bolts. my friend used spacers and two bolts.

Back