M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 42 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations!

Do me a huge favor-- kill the pumpkin spice machine. If you don't, we'll end up with pumpkin spice tires, I mean, they put that stuff in everything! :crazy:

Joking aside, it sounds like a cool job . :thumbsup:
Hahaha

Thanks man

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Congratulations JD! It does sound like they found the perfect guy for the position.

Do I see an xmas gift of Pumpkin spice going to Jon? lol

Congratulations JD! It does sound like they found the perfect guy for the position.

Do I see an xmas gift of Pumpkin spice going to Jon? lol
Lol 2 pallets! !!

Congrats, now you got till spring time to get it ready for the track!!!!!

Congrats, now you got till spring time to get it ready for the track!!!!!
Yea time now becomes the issue with actually working alot..lol no more working on the truck on the clock.

Congratulations on the new job! Cant wait to hear about your engine being finished and put in the Ranger!

Well bad news..my cheap stage 3 clutch is about to go..i was racing yesterday, downshifted and felt it slip..today its got half the travel it normally does and feels like its slightly slightly slipping when ever your on it hard. .

Guess this forces me to do the rebuild . .going to try and fix the aviators transmission first,hopefully valve body and solenoids fix it..my buddy seems to think its a band but it slips and flares in every gear..

Well checked the reservoir today and it was empty.i literally had about 2" of pedal....i dont know where the fluid went but i refilled it and quickly tried to bleed it..it still has air but feels much better..still is grabbing hard..ill get the rest of air out tomorrow or Saturday . .

Im guessing the slave is about to give out..if it can hold for 2 more weeks ill be happy!!

Well checked the reservoir today and it was empty.i literally had about 2" of pedal....i dont know where the fluid went but i refilled it and quickly tried to bleed it..it still has air but feels much better..still is grabbing hard..ill get the rest of air out tomorrow or Saturday . .

Im guessing the slave is about to give out..if it can hold for 2 more weeks ill be happy!!
Good luck with that clutch JD hope it holds out for you. My back still hurts from the other week when I did my rear main and put the new clutch in.

Good luck with that clutch JD hope it holds out for you. My back still hurts from the other week when I did my rear main and put the new clutch in.
Thanks..yea if it goes it will just get parked till i get the motor back together . .i literally have all new parts for the T5 swap,dont know how far you read back into it..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-ohv-sohc-performance-t5-transmission.442926/

So im not spending any money on this motor or this M5 trans,thats why it even got that POS ebay clutch in first place.guess shouldn't say POS,it has held some serious power for a year now..lol

I did read that. The t5 is a great idea. I hope my m5 will hold out its only a few years old.

I did read that. The t5 is a great idea. I hope my m5 will hold out its only a few years old.
Ive been through think 4 in less than 2 years..lol

That's how I was with the auto before I got the m5 :rolleyes:... but your experience doesn't bode well for my m5 considering my engine plans. I look forward to seeing how yours keeps progressing it's like you're blazing a nice path to follow:thumbsup:

it's like you're blazing a nice path to follow:thumbsup:

Don't follow JD's path. He has picked every penny, nickel, dime, etc. off the road already. lol.
I'm sure looking forward to seeing how the motor performs once its all back together. First class.

Yea has not been a cheap path for sure.the biggest issue has been getting the work done,having the rods milled and crank balanced..the rest is pretty normal stuff,just custom made and pricey.definitely more than should really ever be spent on a V6,especially the OHV.

But then again if you compare it to my 4.6 DOHC build which costed me $1,000 just for a valve job,doesnt seem to outrageous ...hhmm

So with these 295s on the back im getting really really bad tire shake when they break loose..it has broke a strap for the gas tank,the passengers side exhaust hanger and knocked a headlight out..lol

Saturday i fixed all those issues and made the straps for gas tank outa steel this time,last time i used aluminum . .

But found a major issue . .the tranny mount has broken and has let the driveshaft hit my safety loop..thank god i switched the bolts out to button heads from hex heads..but it has worn my driveshaft almost in half..looks like ill be replacing the tranny mount with my solid one and getting a new driveshaft . .

Bad pictures but here is a before so you can see the loop and bolts..
20151223_142250-1_zpstj00hxzz.jpg

And where its rubbed it..really bad pic
20161203_160435_zpsfp5iqios.jpg

20161203_160421_zpsmafcpe17.jpg

pictures no-worky

pictures no-worky
How about now?? Photobucket is messed up..

Think i was talking to @4pointslow about the chances of it rubbing when i installed it,think he used the same loop but kept the hex head bolts..the hex heads would've destroyed that shaft first time it hit..

I guess I am lucky then because, wait for it..........
My shaft is thinner. lol.

Back