Installing aftermarket DVD headrests | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing aftermarket DVD headrests

Hello everyone. I just got a 2106 XLT and after driving myself nearly mad deciding on which Headrest DVD players have all of the features I require, I have finally decided to go with the XTRONS HD929 (for the second row) and the XTRONS HD908B (for the third row). The HD908B's poles adjust to less than four inches allowing them to fit the holes in the second row seats. I have not purchased them yet as I plan on going by Car Toys and making sure they can wire them the way I want first. My concern is the second row seat on the right is constantly folded and tilted forward for kids to get to the back of the bus because its "bouncy" back there. Has anyone installed and wired a headrest DVD player in that seat and have any problems? I've considered mounting just one in the middle headrest but that would defeat the purpose of each kid having their own. Just an FYI, I am in no way interested in external devices like tablets or any other bracket mountable players as I want all the wires hidden so little feet aren't constantly snagging and ripping them out. Thanks for any info...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone. I just got a 2106 XLT and after driving myself nearly mad deciding on which Headrest DVD players have all of the features I require, I have finally decided to go with the XTRONS HD929 (for the second row) and the XTRONS HD908B (for the third row). The HD908B's poles adjust to less than four inches allowing them to fit the holes in the second row seats. I have not purchased them yet as I plan on going by Car Toys and making sure they can wire them the way I want first. My concern is the second row seat on the right is constantly folded and tilted forward for kids to get to the back of the bus because its "bouncy" back there. Has anyone installed and wired a headrest DVD player in that seat and have any problems? I've considered mounting just one in the middle headrest but that would defeat the purpose of each kid having their own. Just an FYI, I am in no way interested in external devices like tablets or any other bracket mountable players as I want all the wires hidden so little feet aren't constantly snagging and ripping them out. Thanks for any info...
Did you end up going with these units? If so, can you share your experience so far with them?
TIA

Did you end up going with these units? If so, can you share your experience so far with them?
TIA
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Hope you get an answer from the member. That was his/her one and only post.

Peter

Can you post some pictures of how you got the third row set up?.....I think your first on here to do the third row DVD and Im interested to see how its done.

TIA
Hello,
I actually did purchase those units I mentioned. They shipped on a Monday night from Hong Kong and I had them by lunch on Wednesday. I purchased them from Amazon for $280 (HD929's) and $260 (HD908B's). Both had free shipping through DHL and like I said, got them in less than 48 hours from Hong Kong. I had them installed the very next day by Car Toys and that was very expensive. Cost was $640. But that was because I wanted them installed a certain way and they had to make a bunch of extra stuff since I had 4 units that I wanted tied together. So the end result is that I have the HD929's for my second row passengers and the HD908B's for the third. All the screens can play whatever is on the front left screen or they can all watch what they want individually. All of my wires were completely hidden by Car Toys. Not to mention they wired the back right one so that that seat can be folded and tilted up so the girls can get in and out of the back. The headrests look absolutely great in my Explorer and so far they have been working great. My three goddaughters have used them on two long road trips and extensively locally. Every time I've heard "IT'S NOT WORKING" it has been operator error so they are still learning the fine details of operating them. They even enjoy the games that came on the disc. We have to be careful which controllers are being used as sometimes they will control each others screens. Otherwise I am very happy with them. Here are some photos of them: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7205704@N03/albums/72157675182761014
Let me know if you have any more questions. Oh, the picture with the wire coming out of the bottom and plugging into the side is something I got from Best Buy to screencast movies and shows from my phone like Netflix etc...

Can you post some pictures of how you got the third row set up?.....I think your first on here to do the third row DVD and Im interested to see how its done.
What exactly do you want to see? I posted photos of both. They are the oval shaped ones with the zippered flaps.

Your pics werent up when I posted that request.

Looks good, haven't seen 3rd row set up before.

Anyone know if we're able to buy extra headsets for the Invision system?

Hello,
I actually did purchase those units I mentioned. They shipped on a Monday night from Hong Kong and I had them by lunch on Wednesday. I purchased them from Amazon for $280 (HD929's) and $260 (HD908B's). Both had free shipping through DHL and like I said, got them in less than 48 hours from Hong Kong. I had them installed the very next day by Car Toys and that was very expensive. Cost was $640. But that was because I wanted them installed a certain way and they had to make a bunch of extra stuff since I had 4 units that I wanted tied together. So the end result is that I have the HD929's for my second row passengers and the HD908B's for the third. All the screens can play whatever is on the front left screen or they can all watch what they want individually. All of my wires were completely hidden by Car Toys. Not to mention they wired the back right one so that that seat can be folded and tilted up so the girls can get in and out of the back. The headrests look absolutely great in my Explorer and so far they have been working great. My three goddaughters have used them on two long road trips and extensively locally. Every time I've heard "IT'S NOT WORKING" it has been operator error so they are still learning the fine details of operating them. They even enjoy the games that came on the disc. We have to be careful which controllers are being used as sometimes they will control each others screens. Otherwise I am very happy with them. Here are some photos of them: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7205704@N03/albums/72157675182761014
Let me know if you have any more questions. Oh, the picture with the wire coming out of the bottom and plugging into the side is something I got from Best Buy to screencast movies and shows from my phone like Netflix etc...

I just installed my XTRONS HD929thd units. fairly easy to do. INCLUDING the squaretrade 3yr warranty... $322 delivered.
What did you do about the low volume headphones? I'm on the look out for either replacements that are louder (and actually have a volume control) or a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver setup. I may opt for cheap wired headphones for now.

You might want to start looking under the driver seat first that's where my factory installed control box is located.
If you need me to take a pic for you i can
Is it possible for you to take some pictures of where it is installed? i just bought a kit from a 2016 to fit in my 2013 but i dont see where i can connect the control box under m,y seat. thanks :)

Finally installed my kit! Thanks to SGT1411 :)
GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

Back