Let's see, what can I powdercoat today? | Page 77 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Let's see, what can I powdercoat today?

nissan wiper 1.jpg
nissan wiper 2.jpg
nissan wiper 3.jpg
I have been practicing with my powdercoating system. So, today I thought I'd coat the wipers on my Wife's Nissan--might as well hit the ones on the Mounty also--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before and after with a little rant to explain why.

Somehow, my wife's Toyota Avalon developed 2 bent rims.

I scoured ebay, and found a set of 3 times relisted 2013 avalon wheels which were advertised as being "new"

I really wanted to just throw a nice set of wheels on her car and be done, so I asked the seller 3 times if these were indeed brand new, with no scratches or blemishes of any kind.

I was assured 3 times they were brand new, never been tire mounted or driven on, so I bid on them, won them and waited.

What came to me were these

100_1830_zpsxhyvc0or.jpg

100_1829_zpshsm5sf9k.jpg

100_1831_zpszx8jud5k.jpg

100_1828_zpsez5tnmmg.jpg

Yeah--you get the idea. These are well used. for example here is what a stock wheel looks like after 180k miles and 10 years on the road.

009_zps9872b80b.jpg

I filed an Ebay claim, the seller never responded so ebay refunded my full purchase price including shipping. "And you can keep the wheels"

so,
Now it is a choice. Scrap these and start over, or make use of them?

I took off the wheel weights and hauled them to the local tire store to have them spun up to check if they were true.

They were. I decided to go ahead and blast them clean.
I then handed MLB my color chips and she came up with 3 that were very close to her wheels. However one had the same size and colors of metallic once it was in direct sunlight.

The stock wheels which are a darker charcoal silver. I think toyota calls it hyper silver. Prismatic calls it "heavy charcoal". Top coat is 50% gloss "soft clear"

100_1896_zpskohro2sf.jpg

100_1892_zpsflzrsii0.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

bound to cover just a little more ground....

It's not the shot that kills you, it's the fall

Ya'all sound like a country song! LoL "Thunders just a noise... It's lightnin does the work!"

Sent from my LGL15G using Forum Runner

My father in law would love it. LOL for that matter Sandi probably would to!

Been working on one for months.
The parts that came had to be blasted to find all the pinholes. Pinholes were tig welded shut, then parts got blasted again.
The color was very difficult to get, but is a dead match for mopar "plum crazy".

The before picture was provided by the owner of the pedal car. The parts actually looked worse than the picture shows.

I've also included a picture of the original sales ad showing the price.
New wheels were wanted, but impossible to find, as are the decals.

img001_zpsocva1qzk.jpg

IMG_20161106_114014909_zpsbh0sl1kf.jpg

murray%20road%20runner_zps4nwvsbla.jpg

Still a collectors item and a job well done.

BTW I guess the new owner will be a new member of Explorer Forum?

is it wrong that i am going to be 44 and i want one?

No way, your just a baby! At least there's less stuff for us to break styling in one of these.

that is awesome! I soo want one. I have new grandkids (well step-grandkids but really... whats the difference?) waiting in Arizona, would love to be able to give them something like that.

Both of the ones in the picture are..

So its kids having toys like that, then growing up, that is causing all the young folk to want those 28" wheels with 30" tires... LOL

Ok.

Tech question.

Solid Brass Plaque with old company Logo.

Polished it out to clean Brass and shot with Prismatic "Devil Red" .

Exposed Brass turned a silver
IMG_4320.JPG
color rather than Bright Brass.

Too hot?

I plan on "Decking" it with a wet stone to get back to clear brass.

Hoping to do a top coat of "Clear Vision" so I don't have to polish it.

Suggestions?

I wonder if a scotch brite would bring the brass finish back?

I have a feeling the heat oxidized the alloy somehow-but I also think, and hope, it is just on the surface.

You might try curing at a lower temp for longer time. Maybe 325 degrees or so for 25 minutes.

Clear will help make the end result last longer. It might dull the polished brass, but, at the same time, might also keep the red from chalking.

I wouldn't clear over a "brushed" finish though. Acrylic clear over the polished brass might work well, it has a lower cure temperature.

http://powder365.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=181

Back