Explorer 2nd row console install | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2nd row console install

Hi All,
I bought used 2016 Exp Limited 11k miles on it. 301A package, extended moon roof, bucket seats for second row.
Now I want to add center console between bucket seats. Can anyone guide me where to buy and can we install our self? Also mine has "limited" and "flex fuel" emblem painted in black. Car fax doesn't show any accident history. How to remove the paint and get the chrome look back?.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I found this thread using the Forum's handy "Search" function and merged yours with it. As for the painted black parts, if they were 'plati-dipped' they shouldn't be too difficult to get back to chrome. See if it will peel off. There is a PDF document in this thread on the installation. Levittown Ford Super Center is a site vendor. You can send a message to Benny and request information in the console. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=LevittownFordSuperCenter

Peter

if they were 'plati-dipped' they shouldn't be too difficult to get back to chrome. See if it will peel off.
Peter

Hi Peter,
Its not paint but plasti dip as you said..I was bale to peel it of easily. Any reason you can think of why they might used plasti dip for a new car?.
coming to Second row center console, I was able to find them in ebay for 320$. Can we buy from them or better get it from dealer or the source you mentioned?

Glad you were able to get the chrome back. There are several threads about members who changed the chrome look to black, including the grill. I guess it's a personal preference. It is really up to you where you decide to buy the console from. I don't know what the going price is these days from a dealer or supplier. One thing that has been discussed is getting the correct console to match the interior. They apparently have different colour stitching in some cases. It looks like each has a different part number as well because of that. Never having had one I can only go by what members have posted.
Check out this thread I just found; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2nd-row-console.425693/

Peter

Glad you were able to get the chrome back. There are several threads about members who changed the chrome look to black, including the grill. I guess it's a personal preference. It is really up to you where you decide to buy the console from. I don't know what the going price is these days from a dealer or supplier. One thing that has been discussed is getting the correct console to match the interior. They apparently have different colour stitching in some cases. It looks like each has a different part number as well because of that. Never having had one I can only go by what members have posted.
Check out this thread I just found; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2nd-row-console.425693/
thanks for valuable information Peter.

Does the DB5Z-78045A36-AA fit the 2016 explorer platinum? I received GB5Z-78045A36-AD all black and new model number for 2016 and 2017 models. From what I researched it sounds like it should fit.
I wanted it to match my ebony with white stitching interior. Looking at pictures and youtube video of new 2016 models with 2nd row console factory installed, show the matching black with white stitching.

the sport one matches my material perfect with the red stitching.

Hi All,
I bought used 2016 Exp Limited 11k miles on it. 301A package, extended moon roof, bucket seats for second row.
Now I want to add center console between bucket seats. Can anyone guide me where to buy and can we install our self? Also mine has "limited" and "flex fuel" emblem painted in black. Car fax doesn't show any accident history. How to remove the paint and get the chrome look back?.

Just got a 2017 with bucket seats purchased the console from Ford installed it in 45 min did not even have the right tools. Pretty easy.

Just got a 2017 with bucket seats purchased the console from Ford installed it in 45 min did not even have the right tools. Pretty easy.
Please add the trim (Base, XLT, etc.) of the Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. That is useful info to have when replying to posts. Thanks.

Peter

For my '16 Sport, this looks like the right one to get: GB5Z-78045A36-AD. I have charcoal interior with red stitching.

For my '16 Sport, this looks like the right one to get: GB5Z-78045A36-AD. I have charcoal interior with red stitching.
I am not sure but just for reference my 2017 Limited took this one. GB5Z-78045A36-AA

I am not sure but just for reference my 2017 Limited took this one. GB5Z-78045A36-AA
Please add the trim 'Limited' to your profile so it appears in the margin. This can be useful info. Thanks.

Peter

Hi Rickepnet,

Would you please confirm if the console you installed with the part number GB5Z-78045A36-AA has white or black stitching? The front console on our 2017 Platinum is black leather with white stitching and would like the 2nd row console to match the front. From my research the GB5Z part number is for 2016 and 2017. Where the DB5Z is for 2011-2015.

Thanks!

Hi Rickepnet,

Would you please confirm if the console you installed with the part number GB5Z-78045A36-AA has white or black stitching? The front console on our 2017 Platinum is black leather with white stitching and would like the 2nd row console to match the front. From my research the GB5Z part number is for 2016 and 2017. Where the DB5Z is for 2011-2015.

Thanks!
I will snap a picture and when I get home I will confirm the part number.

Hi Rickepnet,

Thanks!
That is the part number I order it does NOT have white stitching.
2017 Limited
IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

That is the part number I order it does NOT have white stitching.
2017 Limited
IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg
Thanks alot for verifying that info. It appears that only two consoles are available for 2016/2017 model year. Black with black stitching and black with red stitching.

Anyone out there with 2016/2017 non sport trim, with a factory installed 2nd row console, that can confirm it has stitching color other than black?

Appreciate the help! Thanks

Thanks alot for verifying that info. It appears that only two consoles are available for 2016/2017 model year. Black with black stitching and black with red stitching.

Anyone out there with 2016/2017 non sport trim, with a factory installed 2nd row console, that can confirm it has stitching color other than black?

Couldn't find that the black with white stiching is available for purchase after the fact to get an exact match to the front console, so I went with the black with black stitching like the picture above. It looks great!

Ordered from autonation, best price anywhere, shipped in 2 days arrived perfect. Install took about 30 minutes. Put bolts in the back, used an awl to poke through the carpet for the front bolt holes and put bolts in and tightened.

Thanks to all that posted on this topic, it really helped.

Just a suggestion but Benny from Levittown Ford Super Store is a Forum Vendor and has been outstanding at helping members of this forum locate parts or clarify availability. You could PM or email him.

sales@levittownfordparts.com

Just a suggestion but Benny from Levittown Ford Super Store is a Forum Vendor and has been outstanding at helping members of this forum locate parts or clarify availability. You could PM or email him.

sales@levittownfordparts.com

I contacted Benny, he confirmed that the best option available right now is the Ebony with Black stitching.

Thanks for the suggestion. That make me feel like I made the best decision that I could at the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You guys have some great information on this thread. I have a 2014 Limited and removed the 2nd row center console for easier access for the kids to the 3rd row. I know there is a cover for the mount bracket, but is there a carpet cover as well to go over the exposed bare floor?

Bracket cover is #04572 from ford ($32 at fordparts.com)

Back