Solved - Swap in platinum speedo / cluster?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Swap in platinum speedo / cluster??

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Forddealz

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I was looking at the speedometer cluster in the Platinum trim and I really liked how it looks. I think its a next generation type. Does anyone know the part number for it? I am planning to install it in my Sport and I am guessing that the wiring will be the same?. I have an old buddy who works at the shop installing similar things like dash cams and built in Valentine detectors wright into the back view mirror, he said yeah, sure, bring me the part and I will install it to you for a discount, make sure it is the same size. I said Ok.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pinging @jmr061 for this, he is trying the same feat with his Edge.

Pinging @jmr061 for this, he is trying the same feat with his Edge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-FORD-E...ash=item2119149dfb:g:EwQAAOSwHMJYB-Sv&vxp=mtr,

I see a used one for explorer 16 for only 120 bucks or best offer, the other ones are years 14-15 years explorer going to around 90 bucks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/v6103-2011-...ash=item3ac5622696:g:JqYAAOSwmtJXWe4a&vxp=mtr
If I can grab a brand new Platinum for around $150-$300, that would be so awesome. Platinum one just looks so much more modern.

I agree with you, however, some programming will be required.

I was looking at the speedometer cluster in the Platinum trim and I really liked how it looks. I think its a next generation type. Does anyone know the part number for it? I am planning to install it in my Sport and I am guessing that the wiring will be the same?. I have an old buddy who works at the shop installing similar things like dash cams and built in Valentine detectors wright into the back view mirror, he said yeah, sure, bring me the part and I will install it to you for a discount, make sure it is the same size. I said Ok.
Keep in mind that even if it was possible to swap them, you would be changing the odometer as well therefore it would not be an accurate indication of the actual mileage on the vehicle which may cause warranty issues should you have any. Not sure if it carries any legal implications.:dunno:

Peter

Any one try an upgraded cluster from the platinum in a non platinum vehicle, the single round cluster in my sport reminds me of a Minion looking back at me :)

Any one try an upgraded cluster from the platinum in a non platinum vehicle, the single round cluster in my sport reminds me of a Minion looking back at me :)
Your post was moved to this existing thread.

Yeah. Really annoyed actually that the sport doesn’t have the platinum cluster with the dedicated tach. Just seems kind of....off. You could probably reset the odometer with some programming to reflect actual mileage but could be a pain in the butt.

It certainly is possible. A new one has a list cost over $1000 plus there is a core charge added on top of that. Used ones are very hard to come by. Mileage will need to be matched along with proper programming for your vehicle options. There are those of us that have dome similar swaps for the Fusion and Edge. I have everything to do one up for the Explorer if you are game. You should contact me via PM and we will move it to email. I have one that I can setup. It was formerly a Lincoln cluster but I have the correct lens for the Explorer.

I'm can locally get a platinum instrument cluster. Wondering if I can swap it out?? I like the platinum cluster much better. Thinking maybe just forscan needed for swap? Any thoughts?

I know that this was brought up before but can't recall the answer or find the thread. One concern would be that you'd be changing the odometer reading.

Peter

I know that this was brought up before but can't recall the answer or find the thread. One concern would be that you'd be changing the odometer reading.

Peter
I would have mileage reprogrammed to my current mileage.

It's doable with the right programming. Be sure to buy an IPC that has less mileage than your current IPC as that will allow it to be re-programmed to match. I am not sure what mounting brackets or other pieces may be required but the IPC itself is plug and play.

See IPC Type 3 tab on my FORScan spreadsheet for programming options. I would start with a configuration from a 2018 Platinum IPC.

Firmware differences (2016-2018 IPCs can be flashed with these firmwares with special hardware and software)

2016 - no center speedometer option, thick blue gauges
2017 - center speedometer, thick blue gauges
2018 - center speedometer, thin blue gauges, slightly updated graphics

FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers

It's doable with the right programming. Be sure to buy an IPC that has less mileage than your current IPC as that will allow it to be re-programmed to match. I am not sure what mounting brackets or other pieces may be required but the IPC itself is plug and play.

See IPC Type 3 tab on my FORScan spreadsheet for programming options. I would start with a configuration from a 2018 Platinum IPC.

Firmware differences (2016-2018 IPCs can be flashed with these firmwares with special hardware and software)

2016 - no center speedometer option, thick blue gauges
2017 - center speedometer, thick blue gauges
2018 - center speedometer, thin blue gauges, slightly updated graphics

FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers
Thanks! Those options can be changed with forscan? Or some other software?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it can be done but not sure if I would recommend it though. With that said let me explain.

The physical fitment of the cluster itself is fine, do yourself a favor invest in a magnetic screwdriver/nut driver. Also visit dealer and purchase at least four extra panel retaining nuts. You might not need them but when you do it will be 5:pm on a Sunday after dealer parts department has closed. A one off fit that most likely won't be available at parts stores or Lowe's Home depot.....ASK ME HOW I Know!!

The Bezel is much easier than I was expecting to remove, simply move the steering wheel FULL AFT as in towards the drivers seat and FULL DOWN. Grab a panel removal tool on one corner and slowly work around. PAY Attention, the white retaining clips are needed and need to be kept in. They are held in place by a piece of thin tape. Remove the retaining clips firmly cut carefully. When they are removed, there is a small set of retaining clips for the dust hood. About 4-6 clips start at the corner....SLOWLY/CAREFULLY and slide old bezel out. You might be able to use original bezel but no guarantees, I got mine (Cluster) to fit during test fit but I am thinking that I did not factor in the Bezel.

Also unless you have a local vendor that can re program on the spot I recommend programming to a FUTURE Mileage. If the cluster comes back sooner than that mileage just wait and install. If you install too early you are affecting the warranty as in showing the vehicle with more miles than actual. This will keep you out of trouble with the DMV. The section on the odometer statement will still have to be filled out for the (NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE) section but I would think that +/- a mile or two would not be a major deal. Another recommendation is to take video or photo of install showing mileage before and after removal. That will be a reference in the event you do get accused of odometer tampering.

There are four retaining nuts two upper, and two lower. The two lower ones can be the problem. Without either a magnetic nut driver or some sort of adhesive on the nut head THEY WILL FALL. And again 5:00 Saturday afternoon and not just fall but fall deeply into one of the many voids of the steering column. I eventually recovered them but after installation.
With my platinum cluster there is about a 1/2 gap in the Bezel I tried reinstalling the normal Bezel and no luck.
The electrical connection is the same as non Platinum. One minor note. The FORSCAN shows the vehicle as a non platinum. Anything FORSCAN related you want to do to the cluster, forget it. My case for example I wanted to add the Ice Warning. I made the Changes per the platinum instrument cluster through FORSCAN but FORSCAN recognized the ECU as a NON Platinum and would not accept the new codes for the warning

The Platinum cluster still shows the same information as NON Platinum models, the layout is different but information is the same.

Back