Ford Flex Shifter Install

SixPonies

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mahomet, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
So this happened yesterday. I have to say, this is one of the best mods that could be done to a Gen 2 Trac; especially for the money ($16). Ford should've put this shifter in the Sport Trac from the beginning instead of the big, ugly, phallic-looking one from the F150. It's also a fairly easy mod to perform. There's a great YouTube video showing how to do it. I also used a thread posted in the Gen 4 Explorer forum on this site as a reference. I've had no problems with the first gear issue discussed in the video. Mine goes all the way back into first gear. If it had ended up being an issue, I was just going to use a dremel tool to hollow out the rear part of the trim piece just enough to allow the shifter to go all the way back into 1st gear.

YouTube Video: How To: Install Newer Ford Flex Shift Knob on 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Flex Shifter-1.jpg

Flex Shifter-2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like it. It would be nice to change the accent spine from wood grain to something else like faux carbon fiber to match the stock interior.

I like it. It would be nice to change the accent spine from wood grain to something else like faux carbon fiber to match the stock interior.

Woodgrain? There's no wood grain my my interior. Not sure what you're referring to.

Sorry that second pic looks like woodgrain

Where did you get the shifter?? Ebay results show $50. $16 would be pretty legit, I really want to do this mod.

Did you search part #8G1Z7213A? That's the correct part # for this mod. I paid around $17 for it on Amazon about a year and a half a go. Current searches on for it on Amazon and eBay show it going for between $35-$45.

Back