03 lincoln aviator | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

I'm sorry to hear that the work didn't find the problem. I'd tend to expect to find one or more of the clutch sets to be worn out. If it slips in any gear, that points to a main fluid pressure issue, or the main drive clutches gone(caused by poor pressures).

Hopefully it's from the solenoids etc, and now it just needs the full rebuild(clutches and seals) to make it right. Be sure to ask how the clutches look, you want to discover that the frictions are really worn away. If those look decent at all, then the issue has to still be pressures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sorry to hear that the work didn't find the problem. I'd tend to expect to find one or more of the clutch sets to be worn out. If it slips in any gear, that points to a main fluid pressure issue, or the main drive clutches gone(caused by poor pressures).

Hopefully it's from the solenoids etc, and now it just needs the full rebuild(clutches and seals) to make it right. Be sure to ask how the clutches look, you want to discover that the frictions are really worn away. If those look decent at all, then the issue has to still be pressures.
Yea thats what im thinking

My fingers are crossed for you, and I have to hope for a good rebuild result for my 5R55E too. I'm getting into mine in the next 2-3 weeks, and I hope it has no damage except for the one discovered broken bearing shell I found in the pan.

Its getting worse..gonna go ahead and park it..the CEL also has come on,ill check it later but might be the cat code coming back

That's smart, avoid driving it to save hurting any other hard parts inside.

My 99 5R trans showed the problem right out of my driveway, the engine light and slipping a ton in 1st gear. I parked it then and checked the fluid, drained the pan and found the broken part in it. The internal leak would have burned up a lot of parts if I had tried to drive it much. The rebuild parts are almost cheap, but replacing the main hard parts is more expensive.

That's smart, avoid driving it to save hurting any other hard parts inside.

My 99 5R trans showed the problem right out of my driveway, the engine light and slipping a ton in 1st gear. I parked it then and checked the fluid, drained the pan and found the broken part in it. The internal leak would have burned up a lot of parts if I had tried to drive it much. The rebuild parts are almost cheap, but replacing the main hard parts is more expensive.
Forgot to mention i found some pretty large flakes of copper in the filter..like 3 flakes..fluid didnt look to bad,slightly dark but didnt smell burt

You should know if the CEL is related to trans as limp mode makes it really hard to drive. I would guess the cooper is from the L/R servo which you still have even if 2wd. But if your having shifting issues in all gears it's rebuild time. Atleast you have most of the parts anyway and your friend is doing it so cant set you back too much more.

You should know if the CEL is related to trans as limp mode makes it really hard to drive. I would guess the cooper is from the L/R servo which you still have even if 2wd. But if your having shifting issues in all gears it's rebuild time. Atleast you have most of the parts anyway and your friend is doing it so cant set you back too much more.
Where is the L/R servo? is that the one inside the pan?

Im not having any shifting issues,shifts perfect . .its slipping under load

Soooo ill let the cat out of the bag..picked up a used vortech kit today for the aviator . .its a complete kit minus some hardware and the discharge pipe which i found on ebay already..also came with the expensive vortech blow off and a 8 rib over drive crank pulley..

Now this is where people are gonna get mad!!! paid $450 for the kit and $30 for the discharge pipe..yep you read that right...

Once my parts come in for the trans and i get it rebuilt im gonna throw this kit on and run LOW boost,6-8 psi..

Im debating on sending it in to be upgraded,think they charge $350..this is a older V1 SC head unit from a 99 cobra..should be the correct mount as the aviators use the 3 bolt tensioner like the 99,not like the single bolt tensioner of 2000+

00X0X_pjWQiEeI8i_600x450_zpszil9sx1d.jpg

00b0b_1dOEjNGVZw_600x450_zpsfjach7yg.jpg

00B0B_5mLNUr4206V_600x450_zpsnevbipf8.jpg

00u0u_1uqvsrVHvhO_600x450_zpspxuomqkr.jpg

_12%201_zps9kd2ml4f.jpg

IM EXCITED ! ! :) :)

Excellent, throw the coal to it. Get the trans built right and install a bigger cooler, plus an external filter. That'll be fun.

Excellent, throw the coal to it. Get the trans built right and install a bigger cooler, plus an external filter. That'll be fun.
Dont know if i really need a bigger cooler . .i have that deep pan and the thermal valve has been bypassed so flow goes to cooler 100% all the time.

The level 10 kit and Patc tq converter says there good to 600hp..ill never see that much power but a good 500hp is my goal

Awesome!!!!!!!
Great find for sure.

More cooling is a benefit for those higher power levels, the pan is negligible. An outside filter gains a quart like the pan, and maybe catches some stuff before the main filter has to. I'm expecting to need close to 18 quarts of ATF when I'm done. I've got a thermostat bypass adapter that I hope to get working to keep the fluid from getting too cool.

More cooling is a benefit for those higher power levels, the pan is negligible. An outside filter gains a quart like the pan, and maybe catches some stuff before the main filter has to. I'm expecting to need close to 18 quarts of ATF when I'm done. I've got a thermostat bypass adapter that I hope to get working to keep the fluid from getting too cool.
I agree,the cooler the better..the pan holds an extra 3 qts. Its also made out of aluminum and has fins to help cool..it took 9 qts to fill back up after doing the vavle body, solenoids and pan..i did not drain the converter or cooler..

I dont have to really worry about the fluid getting to cold around here,thays why i had the thermal valve bypassed.

You've caught my attention with the Vortech purchase. Where and how does it mount? How many things have to relocated for it to fit?
Depending on which timing cover you have makes a difference in what bracket and if anything has to be moved/changed..the Aviators use a 3 bolt tensioner like the 99 cobra uses..in 2000 they went to a 1 bolt..also depends on what style cossover tube your using..if the aviators then it ""should"" clear..if not they sell a different crossover tube so it will clear.

If you have the 99 style then nothing has to move.it mounts above the tensioner on the passengers side head and cover..

If you have the 1 bolt tensioner then some additional brackets are needed..

Either way its basically a bolt on kit..im not going to use a intercooler for now but if i ever go above 8-10 psi then ill probably add a water meth kit or intercooler.also compression will play into when or if you need either..the V1 is good for about 19 psi or 700 hp

You can go to vortech page and download the pdf for any vehicle and it shows where and how it mounts

Depending on the kit and which head unit,these kits go for around $1,500-2,500 used

You can also buy all the pieces online at superchargers online.com

If you do have the 1 bolt cover and are interested i may have a mount for sale.

You've caught my attention with the Vortech purchase. Where and how does it mount? How many things have to relocated for it to fit?
Looks like hes missing some idlers on the driverside but gives you a idea where it mounts..

6cda709c1e248efc8f5e18fe.image.800x750_zpsszi0mmqj.jpg

Got some more parts today,i cant help myself if its a good deal..

Did run into my first issue . .the main bracket i have that i was told was for a 98 cobra is for a 2001 cobra or 2003-2004 mach..i hear i can make it work but the kit didnt come with hardware so im just going to order the correct bracket that comes with hardware . .

Im going to sell the 2001 cobra/2003-04 mach bracket , the intake pipe, the discharge pipe with bosh blow off/bypass and the cobra elbow . .i cant use any of those pieces . .it would be good for someone that has the 1 bolt front timing cover from 2001-2004..all you would need is the head unit of your choice . . @2000StreetRod

So to the new parts...Got a vortech intercooler,a pump and 98 cobra cams.paid $300

20161119_140740_zpsxd57xtgd.jpg

20161119_141201_zpsh2fpjuuw.jpg

Some more pictures of the stuff that came with the kit..
The overdrive crank pulley,need to measure it still.

20161119_140944_zpsia74t0yo.jpg

20161119_140953_zps1utfyh7q.jpg

The vortech blow off/bypass that i will use on the ic..

20161119_140758_zpse5rkyqlx.jpg

The cobra tb elbow i dont need.

20161119_140837_zpsh0yij2pm.jpg

And a maf(probably wont use this)

20161119_140904_zpsoioj9kn2.jpg

Lastly just another pic of the head unit and 2001-2004 bracket i wont be using. :)

20161119_141057_zpsopdmklrz.jpg

What I like most about the M90 on my Sport is the increase in low to mid engine speed torque. That would be the only reason I would add a supercharger to my 2003 Centennial. Have you seen a torque curve for a 4.6L with the Vortech and modest boost?

Will you have to eliminate the mechanical radiator cooling fan?

I purchased a stock 2003 Aviator timing cover that appears to have the 3 bolt tensioner mount.
TimingCover.jpg

I also purchased the stock Aviator bypass assembly.
BypassAssembly.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I like most about the M90 on my Sport is the increase in low to mid engine speed torque. That would be the only reason I would add a supercharger to my 2003 Centennial. Have you seen a torque curve for a 4.6L with the Vortech and modest boost?

Will you have to eliminate the mechanical radiator cooling fan?

I purchased a stock 2003 Aviator timing cover that appears to have the 3 bolt tensioner mount.
View attachment 94125
I also purchased the stock Aviator bypass assembly.
View attachment 94126
I have not looked into the tq curve but know the 4.6 doesnt do well down low.thats why im keeping the aviator intake setup and going to 3.73 rear gears.

I have already purchased a efan setup for this truck and putting that on probably next weekend..i also got the gibson catback exhaust . i dont know if the vortech will clear the stock fan setup for sure,didnt really look into it

Back