Magnetic_EX

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer limited
hello all,

Just got a 17 Ex ltd.

I'm looking at the rear plate and it only has the two top spots for the hardware to go. The bottom are rubber nipples that keep the plate in place.

Just wondering if anyone has removed those nipples and added something so that 4 screws can be used to attach the rear plate. If so was it Oem or aftermarket? If oem, do you have the Ford part number?

See photo below:

2CB8D513-716E-4780-A983-D4CC57B2B13E.jpeg

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one has posted anything like what you mentioned. The plate isn't going anywhere the way it is mounted. It's very secure.
Drilling 2 more holes could lead to possible rusting issues down the road especially with the Winters we have here.

Peter

Wasn't planning on drilling any holes!!!

Was simply wondering if those rubber nipples could be swapped out for what's on top.

I know the plates not going anywhere but as it is now with just the two top the rear plate cover doesn't sit flat and my OCD doesn't like it

Have you considered perhaps cutting off the rubber nipples? That would bring the plate closer to being flat/upright. Just be sure to check that the bottom of the plate doesn't make contact with the body. I don't know if cutting them off will keep the plate from vibrating since the nipples seem to put a little tension on it. So far no luck in even finding those parts.

Peter

We had a new PIU delivered to our fleet and one of those little rubber bumpers was missing. For some reason, I'm thinking the hole itself is actually square. You may be able to insert one of the threaded plastic retainers into this opening (like what is at the top).

I can also say that this opening leads directly into the inside of the lift gate, behind the plastic panel. Our guys in the install shop actually run hot / ground wires out of that opening for the led light kit that goes around the license plate.

According to Fordparts.com, it looks like the white insert is called an Expansion Nut - Plastic. $13.24 for a package of 4. No actual part number other than HN1 in the diagram.

Peter

Can you show me a screen capture of the parts look up that you found this on?

Thanks

I though of something last night after signing off and checked it out this morning. I don't think that those little rubber bumpers line up with the mounting holes that are in the plate. It was a little difficult to see for sure since my vehicle has a dealer license plate frame on it and was parked in the garage close to the garage door so I had to go by 'feel'. Just though that you may want to check before getting too far into this little project. You may have to elongate the plate mounting slots. It also seems to me that installing those plastic expansion nuts in place of the rubber stops would bring that distance out as far as the current rubber bumpers with the ends cut off.

Peter

I don't think that those little rubber bumpers line up with the mounting holes that are in the plate.

Peter

Not sure about everywhere else, but here in Illinois the rubber bumpers line up with our license plates. (Also, this gives me the chance to show off my new Marine Corps license plates, haha.)

And, yes, I realize that Mr. Belvedere desperately needs a bath. :-(

license%20plate_zpssmmkglpq.jpg

So, just got my 2017 Explorer Platinum. Awesome truck BTW. So, when screwing in the rear license plate, there are two plastic female parts that the screws go into for the top, but for the bottom, rather than the same plastic female parts to allow for screws, there are these two rubber "supports" that push the plate out at the bottom. You also, therefore, cannot use the bottom two screws. Very odd indeed. Has anyone seen this? Can I go to the dealer and get two more female plugs for the bottom so I can mount the plate with four screws? Tried searching this online and found nothing, although it's hard to describe this as I don't even know what to call the part. TIA.

Its only meant to mount plate using two screws.No need for 4 screws.
But there are these two odd rubber "feet" pushing the bottom of the plate out at an odd angle. They're perfectly in line with the bottom two screws. Would love to take these out (they pop right out) and replace them with two more female mounting "plugs".

I had started this thread a while back and I haven't given up on it.

I know a lot of guys say all you need are the top bolts but going that route leaves the bottom of a clear plate frame with a gap between the cover and the plate resulting in trapped dirt.

From what I have tried, the rubber nubbies can accept a screw so that's one option.

The next option is something like this, I have yet to order it. The rubber nubbies pull out and then you are left with a hole in the tailgate. These look like the plug we need to make this work.
62455B9D-5D20-43B1-A8C4-32DD2FA99388.jpeg

I had started this thread a while back and I haven't given up on it.

I know a lot of guys say all you need are the top bolts but going that route leaves the bottom of a clear plate frame with a gap between the cover and the plate resulting in trapped dirt.

From what I have tried, the rubber nubbies can accept a screw so that's one option.

The next option is something like this, I have yet to order it. The rubber nubbies pull out and then you are left with a hole in the tailgate. These look like the plug we need to make this work.
62455B9D-5D20-43B1-A8C4-32DD2FA99388.jpeg
Thanks. Just ordered a set. Hopefully they fit. Appreciate the legwork. Have a nice weekend.

Research was the easy part. Thanks for going ahead with the order!!

Hopefully this is what we need. Please post some pics when you get them.

I looked at a police explorer and saw they have the bottom bolts (removed for picture)
6B21EFFC-ACE5-4630-9723-03FB799760D3.jpg

C28478CD-C0CF-48C6-B369-8260D8946C36.jpg

Ted K:

Did you get around to installing those parts you ordered? Curious for an update.

Ted K:

Did you get around to installing those parts you ordered? Curious for an update.
Ordered. Haven't gotten them yet. Will post when I do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Magnetic_EX, got the hardware yesterday. It worked exactly as we expected. The two "rubber feet" popped out, and two female receiver plugs fit right in and accepted the bottom mounting screws for the plate. The part number posted was for four, so I actually have two spares now.

Back