03 lincoln aviator | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

What I like most about the M90 on my Sport is the increase in low to mid engine speed torque. That would be the only reason I would add a supercharger to my 2003 Centennial. Have you seen a torque curve for a 4.6L with the Vortech and modest boost?

Will you have to eliminate the mechanical radiator cooling fan?

I purchased a stock 2003 Aviator timing cover that appears to have the 3 bolt tensioner mount.
View attachment 94125
I also purchased the stock Aviator bypass assembly.
View attachment 94126
Here you go..
http://www.mustangandfords.com/project-vehicles/mmfp-0412-ford-modular-motor-forced-induction/

arisonvortech_centrifugal_supercharger_zpspvyfudzr.jpg

Problem is this is misleading . .the KB and the vortech make so much more power at lower turbine speeds,when you try to keep a even boost level of 11psi that you slow the KB and vortech down so slow they suffer in the lower rpms.especially the vortech but once you reach speeds at which they start producing power they both out power the Eaton . .also the vortech was tested on a short runner manifold that doesnt help it all,they have tested it with other manifold setups and produced much better torque down low..the graphs are in a different article . .also if you look at the graphs were they compare them at boost levels of 16 psi the eaton really fell off

Most people who run the KB or vortech are looking for more boost so they speed them up which helps them down low and shines up top..

With the Vortech you can speed it up where you get all the boost down low and set a blow off to the max boost level you want..this sometimes cause the vortech to be over spun at high rmps if your not wanting all that boost..

The eaton or Kb honestly looks to be the best for down low and all around power..where the vortech and twin turbos tend to make much much more power mid to upper rpms

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

. . . I have already purchased a efan setup for this truck and putting that on probably next weekend..i also got the gibson catback exhaust . i dont know if the vortech will clear the stock fan setup for sure,didnt really look into it

According to my shop manual the Aviator came stock with an electric fan and a mechanical fan. Both fans are pullers between the radiator and the block. Are you planning to install an electric pusher fan to compensate for the removal of the mechanical fan?

According to my shop manual the Aviator came stock with an electric fan and a mechanical fan. Both fans are pullers between the radiator and the block. Are you planning to install an electric pusher fan to compensate for the removal of the mechanical fan?
Im removing both..the stock electric fan only comes on when the ac is running,its not strong enough to cool the motor alone.

Im installing a puller in both their places.im using the same fan i have in my ranger,its from a supercharged thinderbird..same motor as the Taurus but smaller and different blade design , moves more air

Im interested in replacing both my fans on my Aviator with an electric fan. what year thunderbird SC did this fan come off of and do you think it would be easy to mount? Also, haven't been sure how to wire a fan like this up so that it turns on automatically and turns on with the AC.

Im interested in replacing both my fans on my Aviator with an electric fan. what year thunderbird SC did this fan come off of and do you think it would be easy to mount? Also, haven't been sure how to wire a fan like this up so that it turns on automatically and turns on with the AC.
You can use any fan of your choice , i just like that one because of the common motor and it being a smaller shroud , plus moves a ton of air..its from 89-92 but many many people say its from the sc model and is not,the sc model is getting harder to find.it was pretty much a perfect fit on my explorer and ranger but think the aviators radiator is a little bigger..

For the ac,it can be wired into the compressor wire or even use the wire that goes to the stock efan..ill post some pictures this weekend or next,probably next as i really need to work on my ranger this Saturday

Well called PATC to find out some more info on their #5R8 torque converter . it says for 2005 and up but they said it would fit,said it should work just fine for my application . .

i really want the Pl tripple disc stall converter but it only comes in a 3000 stall and is like $1,200...way out of my price range and a 3k stall is too high for a daily,least for me..

Also the more and more i research , the more i think its the converter thats bad..soooo im going to just replace the converter for now and see what that does..i have a feeling ill be installing the level 10 kit not long after but for now i need to save some money,cant honestly afford the level 10 kit,the hardened input shaft and the cost of it to be rebuilt..

PATC is having a 10% off sale this friday and sat..so im going to order the torque converter then..they also offer buy 1 get 1 50% off for the same converter or buy 1 and get 25% off a different converter if someone else is in the market for a torque converter but you would need to speak up very soon so we could place a single order..if not ill be getting this one for 10% off and trying to install it next weekend.im getting the 1800 stall.also if anyone has any input on stall speeds im all ears..from what i can tell stock flash stall for the 5r55s is around 1580

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/5r8-2005-up-5r55s-4-6leev8-stall-converter/

My ranger has a 1800 stall converter...... seems stock to me and doesn't rev up at all before moving. They are also who I bought my converter and rebuild kit from.

My ranger has a 1800 stall converter...... seems stock to me and doesn't rev up at all before moving. They are also who I bought my converter and rebuild kit from.
Nice . .thats good news to me.i think it will be just fine for the street and after you help me swap these gears it will get my torque band lower also.. ;)

The PATC P/N 5R8 with 1800 rpm stall speed was the one I had decided to purchase in the future when I have my 5R55S rebuilt. I think that you'll need the PATC torque converter adapter plate alignment tool P/N 5R55S-T that sells for $108.

The PATC P/N 5R8 with 1800 rpm stall speed was the one I had decided to purchase in the future when I have my 5R55S rebuilt. I think that you'll need the PATC torque converter adapter plate alignment tool P/N 5R55S-T that sells for $108.
I have seen that tool..he didnt mention anything about it when i spoke to him..also ive see pump alignment tools also..didnt think either was required though . .ill call him monday to confirm.if not im sure my buddy who owns a tranny shop has either/any tool i would need

Converter is ordered..came to $557 shipped..saved $57...also haven't called to check if that tool is mandatory or not,haven't called my buddy either to see if he has one .

Should be here wednesday and hopefully we'll put in it Saturday if my buddy has time or room at his shop.lol

Well called to check on the torque converter . .they are waiting on a part to finish building it,said it should be done tomorrow . which means i wont be getting it Saturday . .

Also asked about the alignment tool and they said its very important to use it. did some goggling and see many threads saying to use it or else it will vibrate and mess up the bushing and cause the pump to go bad..

i called my buddy and he said the mechanic that just quit took his tool so he doesnt have one..gonna call around tomorrow to some local shops and see if anyone has one.i found one on ebay for $80 so worse case ill order it and sell it later on

That's a pump alignment tool you're talking about yes? I've seen it mentioned before for the 5R55E and later Ford transmissions. I wonder what it does that it's needed, and no older trans has ever needed such a thing?

I'm about to work on my 99 truck after I clear space around it and make room for a new tool box(Craftsman Pro 41"). Cross fingers for everyone being safe with family and homes, fires took out a lot here in the Gatlinburg area, from one tiny start of a fire.

That's a pump alignment tool you're talking about yes? I've seen it mentioned before for the 5R55E and later Ford transmissions. I wonder what it does that it's needed, and no older trans has ever needed such a thing?

I'm about to work on my 99 truck after I clear space around it and make room for a new tool box(Craftsman Pro 41"). Cross fingers for everyone being safe with family and homes, fires took out a lot here in the Gatlinburg area, from one tiny start of a fire.
Its the torque converter alignment for the adapter plate..the 5r55s v8 model torque converter has 8 bolts and uses a adapter plate that changes it down to 4 bolts..that plate needs to be align to the converter . .

Thanks, that is wild. The TC plate must be made without the eight holes properly aligned with the four engine flexplate holes. That's very odd, for Ford to make the plate with the "special" alignment holes to work with the four engine studs, but not make the eight TC holes properly.

That is very weird, and I'm being kind. The engine and flexplate are made properly, balanced and centered. The trans and TC is equally made properly, balanced and centered. But it sounds like the adapter plate is made un-centered for the eight mounting holes, so they make up for it by including two odd alignment holes(which are obviously for centering). What engineer came up with that stupid idea? I'll bet he's related to the designer of the 2nd gen V8 headers.

Thanks, that is wild. The TC plate must be made without the eight holes properly aligned with the four engine flexplate holes. That's very odd, for Ford to make the plate with the "special" alignment holes to work with the four engine studs, but not make the eight TC holes properly.

That is very weird, and I'm being kind. The engine and flexplate are made properly, balanced and centered. The trans and TC is equally made properly, balanced and centered. But it sounds like the adapter plate is made un-centered for the eight mounting holes, so they make up for it by including two odd alignment holes(which are obviously for centering). What engineer came up with that stupid idea? I'll bet he's related to the designer of the 2nd gen V8 headers.
Yep blows my mind

I found the alignment tool..any chance someone has the adapter plate laying around??

I want to get one so i can go ahead and attach it to my new torque converter so i can just swap it out and not have to pull mine and take it somewhere , then put it back in..

Id buy or exchange you for mine once its out?? anyone??

Well the transmission shop that was gonna align my torque converter is closed on Saturday so i went ahead and ordered the alignment tool..paid $89 and should be here in 3 days..plan is to do it this weekend..

http://m.ebay.com/itm/321945833472?_mwBanner=1

Got my alignment tool today..so as long as my buddy has time and room its a go for Saturday .. @explorinitup ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwewwhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooo

The torque converter FIXED IT....wwwwwoooooo hhhhoooooo

Pretty easy job considering . .also found out why i kept getting a 420 code for the cat....the previous owner gutted the front cats..yeppp so when i do my catback ill be looking at options . .

Truck pulls HARD and sounds GOOD!! its FAST and shifts are lighting fast!! mannn cant tell you how happy i am!!

now i get on to finishing the ranger and then back to fitting the vortech on..after that ill be pulling the motor,sending the heads off to be ported/checked and installing a 3.75 stroker kit with .020 pistons from MMR..long ways away though,ranger first

20161210_131140_zps3zalsd89.jpg

20161210_134336_zpshltj7dij.jpg

Back