delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport

Thought id go ahead and finally get this going now that my rig is functional, I started out with my 97 4.0 sohc sport. I bought it in 05 from its original owner with I think around 183,000 miles, I drove it and did small upgrades like autodimming rear view, new pioneer speakers, Monroe coil overs, 99 front bumper and fear hatch, I also did the usual maintainance like upper and lower balljoints ( motorcraft) swaybar links and bushings ( energy suspension) rebuilt rear, tranny rebuild, ect...then I finally started getting the death rattle from the sohc timing parts around 240,000 miles so i started gathering parts for my v8 swap, do not do what I did if you want to do this swap! Get a whole donner vehical, so it was at this point that I came here and that's when i learned (with the help of alot of members) about PATS, anyway that made me rethink and redo most of my work and replace alot of parts , I just finally got it on the road after swapping out the tranny, so now I feel like I can post my elite registry ,I still have a long way to go to get it where I want but i now think im at a good starting point;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I'm keeping busy so I don't loose my mind , money is non existent right now so I'm going to try to make all my little piles of saved parts go where they belong, like the puddle mirrors and the Windstar window actuators and the four door leafs and I should be able to do the 4406e , just gotta figure out the rear shaft length , my lightning motor and m-112 are on a payment plan lol and will have to wait a year or so but I've got plenty to keep me busy

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

When you do the Windstar window motors please take lots of pictures, I love that idea and would like to see it implemented.

I plan to use a four door window switch setup and the actuator has the perfect throw , the big thing will be a bracket to mount it and some sort of cover

Been busy with family issues and just got back to it tonight , back is all scrubbed and carpet is back in , front is empty and the front carpet is hanging from the kids swingset

Just about done with the nasty , carpet should be dry by morning , everything inside has been scrubbed with simple green or purple power and a knuckle brush , my little amp is installed in the console and all my wires for it and the sub are ran and ready to hook up , should have everything back together in a few hours tomorrow,

progress

Keep up the good work! In no time you will have some nice upgrades to your explorer. How are you beating the heat? It was like 90 something today and will be for the next couple of days. I cant wait for fall, bugs all die and hibernate, and it is much more comfortable to work in the garage.

I'm trying to get it back to a presentable state , after sitting so long it was pretty smelly and dirty , and yes its a bit warm but I'm working under a shade tree , once I get all my little projects done I plan on dealing with the exterior , and I hope to get started getting the 351/m112 together

All back together and its nice to have a clean interior again also found a air freshener from Yankee candle that smells like leather so now my truck smells like a leather store lol,

Not sure how I am elite again but I'm thankful even if its by accident ! Not much new on Vader just replaced the rear brake line that goes side to side and I still have a leak around the tranny dipstick tube , but I'll try to keep you guys posted , I did get my kids back with emergency custody but that's just the beginning of a long hard road

Long Road

Good luck!
May only good things happen from now on!
Does it still smell like leather? Where did you put the candle, I like that idea.
The normal air fresheners don't last long these days.

Its a jar air freshener and it still smells like leather, I got them a few years ago but never used them because the interior was so dirty , now that it's clean I don't feel like I'm trying to cover up a stink with it lol, oh and I hung it from the vent on the back of the console in the rear seating area

Got the puddle lamp mirrors installed on Vader today, I just swapped the plugs pin for pin color matching the wires , I made a crude diagram to keep it straight , this left me with two extra wires with pins so I grabbed my basket of wiring harnesses and found two sets of male and female plugs that were the same as the mirrors plugs , they are o2 sensor plugs , and the two extra pins fit , the female side with some wire solder and heat shrink , I tied into the two wires for the stupid light that was replaced by a reflector in the later models , it looks factory and works so one more project done!

Attachments

• IMG_20150830_221401.jpg
    IMG_20150830_221401.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20150830_135342_339.jpg
    IMG_20150830_135342_339.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20150830_135331_904.jpg
    IMG_20150830_135331_904.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 218

here's a few pics of the 4406electric shift in vader, i think im the only two door V8 with an e-shift 4406
IMG_20161016_132949_454.jpg

IMG_20161016_132915_096.jpg

IMG_20161016_132825_610.jpg

IMG_20161016_112855_765.jpg

IMG_20161016_112849_977.jpg

The fuel tank is in the stock location , i did trim a very little bit off the front lip and a corner of the tanks front mount lip, the bracket was cut up and rearanged as you can see , i used an early explorer front drive shaft with a spicer209 adapter, the rear is a cut down expedition shaft , both front and rear have double cardon joints , and my friend did the rear shaft for me, no balance needed so far and i have done enough stress testing to be sure its not gonna break, other than that i just put the origanal GEM from when it was a sohc back in , next will be the AVM hubs and all the parts for that and i have a set of V8 torsion bars to go in at that time , but first im gonna freshen up a rear with a full kit and a rebuilt trac loc , and a set of four door springs

thats not as close to the tank as i thought it would be. and you used the sohc gem with no problems?

Yes, once its up there its not that bad, i believe ahodges is running this settup in his four door, the shift motor is three inches thick , most of it is kinda above the tank , and other than that its all the same as the manual 4406

Back