Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels

3% please. the truck weighs #6000 . a slightly larger tire above 3% will not ruin the brakes if they don't rub you'll be fine.
I have a 2014 limited it has 255/50/r20 tires optional tires for model are 265/45/20. if this size fits on a limited they will fit on the base model, they are the same truck. i replaced my 20's with 18', don't like big rims. next tire will be 265/60/18' on xlt rims. looking at pirelli scorpions for better winter traction without going to winter tires, there not needed here in indianapolis.

The 3% warning about possible brake failure is a note that pops up on the 1010tires.com site every time you do a tire size comparison. My MKT came with 255/45R20 tires and in Winter I use 235/60R18 tires on the Interceptor wheels. The tire diameter variance is 0.23%, well within specs. A 2014 Sport weighs 4882 lbs.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might be adding to this crowd soon. Considering some Michelin LTX A/Ts in 265/60/R18 after a friend started running them on his Utility

15 Sport tire question

I have a nearly new set of Cooper all seasons i run in the summer for one season on my previous Expedition 275/55/r20.

And a set of Blizaks same size.

I have a new export with Hancrooks size 255/50/r20...

The previous tires are 2" overall taller( .79 " inside wheel well) and .78 or .33 each side wider)

would any of you tire guys say the previous tires( near new ) would work on the stock rims? I know that would hose p the speedometer but don't care bout that.. Any comments

I have a nearly new set of Cooper all seasons i run in the summer for one season on my previous Expedition 275/55/r20.

And a set of Blizaks same size.

I have a new export with Hancrooks size 255/50/r20...

The previous tires are 2" overall taller( .79 " inside wheel well) and .78 or .33 each side wider)

would any of you tire guys say the previous tires( near new ) would work on the stock rims? I know that would hose p the speedometer but don't care bout that.. Any comments
I would not recommend it. The generally accepted maximum diameter variance is 3%. The 275/55R20 will more than double that at 6.23%. The warning that pops up when using the Tire Size Calculator on the site I use says exceeding the 3% could possibly lead to brake failure. Also, according to another member, the OEM size is apparently also linked to various onboard programs. In the end, the decision is yours.

Peter

Widest summer tire on 2014 sport rims ? 285 45 20 ???

Hi everyone,

Proud owner of full jam Black on Black 2014 Explorer Sport EcoBoost. I want a wider more agressive looking summer tire to run on the stock Sport Black wheels.. Reading thru the posts the most common size I see upgraded to is 275 45 20. I was hoping for a touch wider, 285 45 20.

Have any of You had success running this size tire without rubbing issues etc ?

Thanks for any replies,

Cheers !

Widest summer tire on 2014 sport rims ? 285 45 20 ???

Hi everyone,

Proud owner of full jam Black on Black 2014 Explorer Sport EcoBoost. I want a wider more agressive looking summer tire to run on the stock Sport Black wheels.. Reading thru the posts the most common size I see upgraded to is 275 45 20. I was hoping for a touch wider, 285 45 20.

Have any of You had success running this size tire without rubbing issues etc ?

Thanks for any replies,

Cheers !
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one on the same issue. It was found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one on the same issue. It was found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter
Hi Pete, Thanks for the reply, I had been thru the forums numerous times but was seeing more questions than answers... I still have not seen a post where someone directly stated what the widest rubber would be that could be run on stock Sport rim. I was hoping by posting the question someone that runs ( or has tried ) 285 45's would chime in....

Cheers !

I am running 285/35/22 on a 10.5" rim with no rubbing. That tire is designed for 10-11" rim so going 295 on a 8.5 or 9" rim is going to make your side walls bulge a bit.

Hey there Baddeco, how's it going ? I just seen Your post saying your running 285 35 22's on your ride... I've been hunting around on here hoping to find info on running 285 45's on the stock Black Sport wheel. Just curious how the offset on your aftermarket 22's compared to the stock Ford wheel ? The tire calc I ran the numbers on show 285 35's or 45's have the exact same width ( 11.22 inch ) I was just wondering if the offset on your 22's help the 285's fit without rubbing issues etc... Thanks a ton for any info,

Cheers

22x10.5 +45 offset on all four corners. Running a 295/45 r20. That's the widest possible tire you can run without rubbing. I have 0 clearance issues at all even at full lock. Also im running H&R Explorer lowering springs.

15368842_10154769297848114_421037413_o.jpg

22x10.5 +45 offset on all four corners. Running a 295/45 r20. That's the widest possible tire you can run without rubbing. I have 0 clearance issues at all even at full lock. Also im running H&R Explorer lowering springs.

View attachment 94685
Ken, That looks absolutely SICK !!! Nice job. I believe the offset on the Black Sport wheels is + 44mm so the 285's I've been thinking of should work. Thanks so much for Your advice & sharing a pic of Your sweet machine !!!!!

Cheers man

Nice looking Sport Ken. Please add that trim to your profile so that it shows in the margin. That can be useful info for future posts. Thanks.

Peter

I run 285's also, but in a 40/22. No issues with, or without my adapters.

I run 285's also, but in a 40/22. No issues with, or without my adapters.
Thanks a ton for everyone's info, much appreciated. Happy to see the 285 / 45's should fit, although there seems to be a lot more options available in the 275 / 45 size. Right now I'm looking into some of each... ( 285's ) Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season, Yokohama Advan ST .
( 275's ) Yokohama Parada Spec X.....

Hoping to find a tire that gives the best combo of performance / style / durability / ride....

Any Favorites ?

I spent a lot on my Contisportcontact 5P. A tire to me has to look good, and just perform good. Could have spent a lot less, and gone with The Parada Spec tires, but hated the tread pattern. To me, I'd be picking stones out of that tread on a daily basis. p

Thanks a ton for everyone's info, much appreciated. Happy to see the 285 / 45's should fit, although there seems to be a lot more options available in the 275 / 45 size. Right now I'm looking into some of each... ( 285's ) Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season, Yokohama Advan ST .

Hoping to find a tire that gives the best combo of performance / style / durability / ride....

Any Favorites ?

Any Favorites ?
Of those you listed, the Yokohama Advan ST is a Summer passenger car tire. The Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season is also a passenger car tire but shown as All Season. The only one that is shown as being for light trucks and SUVs is the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. I actually installed those on my 2011 Explorer the day I picked it up from the dealer. I got the Ex in early March basically because it had a more aggressive tread than the OEM Hankooks and I wasn't sure if Winter weather was finished or not. I didn't specifically buy them for Winter driving as I believe in using dedicated Winter tires which I then put on later that year. The Yokos were a great tire and as far as the issue that JETZ was concerned about, it was no better or worse than any other tire I've had.

Peter

Just 'personal' taste Peter. Tread pattern ( to me) looks like an 'all terrain' tire. I couldn't say they were a bad tire, I've never run them.

Frank

Of those you listed, the Yokohama Advan ST is a Summer passenger car tire. The Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season is also a passenger car tire but shown as All Season. The only one that is shown as being for light trucks and SUVs is the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. I actually installed those on my 2011 Explorer the day I picked it up from the dealer. I got the Ex in early March basically because it had a more aggressive tread than the OEM Hankooks and I wasn't sure if Winter weather was finished or not. I didn't specifically buy them for Winter driving as I believe in using dedicated Winter tires which I then put on later that year. The Yokos were a great tire and as far as the issue that JETZ was concerned about, it was no better or worse than any other tire I've had.

Peter

I am wanting to go tall. I am looking at 275/60 R20. It is the exact same tread width but is 32.9 inches in diameter compared to 30.2 inches with stock tires. Has anyone tried this and know whether it will fit?

I am wanting to go tall. I am looking at 275/60 R20. It is the exact same tread width but is 32.9 inches in diameter compared to 30.2 inches with stock tires. Has anyone tried this and know whether it will fit?
Definitely not recommended. The generally accepted maximum diameter variance is 3% from OEM. The tire size you quoted will be 9.8%
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-275-60r20
That 3% difference is to prevent extra stress on the brakes and suspension parts. It will also throw off the ABS and other systems programmed to operate with the OEM size.
The 2016 actually has different safe tire sizes that can be selected in one of its modules which will adjust for different systems like ABS.

Peter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back