Starkman's Explorer build thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starkman's Explorer build thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Headlights and grill bolt in, the Mounty is the donor for my Ranger project.

The mountains called today. Went up Spring Creek, stopped at the gate keeper obstacle. Then on the way down I almost flopped. Pics always look less then when you are balancing there. Enjoy!

Doesn't look too bad
IMG_0786-M.jpg

2 feet of gap under the rear wheel. When I climbed out it was balanced precariously.
IMG_0785-M.jpg

From another angle
IMG_0787-M.jpg

We went up to the silvery mines there the other day and messed around. I don't recognize anything in the pics so you must be further than I was willing to go!! We live in Georgetown now, you were in my backyard, I would've joined you had I known.

I forgot you moved up there, I'll let you know next time. If the weather holds I want to do Bill Moore next weekend.

Put a new set of BFG All-terrains on the Ex, here it is in it's natural environment.
Ex%20Dec%202016%204-M.jpg

Ex%20Dec%202016%203-M.jpg

Where'd you get out to? My tcase crapped the bed, a BW4405, I had a BW1354e laying around and put that in, but it's not shifting. I gotta do some searching on here.........How's that ranger coming?

Very Nice!

Transfercase swap

I finally dug in. Low range here I come.

Will it fit?
Transfercase%20compare-M.jpg

Interior prepped.
Interior%20prep-M.jpg

Hole cut in the floor for the shifter.
Shifter%20hole-M.jpg

Trimed and cut and used the factory F150 inner boot. Had to add a strap to keep the rubber from pulling out but works well.
shifter%20boot-M.jpg

Reinstalled the interior and took the Ex out and the swap is complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if this was asked but was this a direct bolt on or was there something that was needed to be completed?

By the way love how it looks. Will be building my 96 soon.

That's a good looking tire carrier.

How are you liking the new BFGs?
I think they are better in the snow than the KOs, It always feels so good to have new tires.

Not sure if this was asked but was this a direct bolt on or was there something that was needed to be completed?

By the way love how it looks. Will be building my 96 soon.
If you do a search for "4406 swap" you will find many writeups, It is a direct bolt in with the appropriate Ford parts. I couldn't be happier with this swap. I've been running and wheeling it for 3 years now without an issue.

Where'd you get out to? My tcase crapped the bed, a BW4405, I had a BW1354e laying around and put that in, but it's not shifting. I gotta do some searching on here.........How's that ranger coming?
I just drove up Apex Road and down into Idaho Springs for pizza, Ranger is not done yet so I just bought an 99 Sport with a 5 speed to race this season. Work has me out of town too much so didn't get the Ranger done.

@worms92explorer I could be wrong, but I believe the 4406 only bolts to the auto trans behind a 5.0, which starkman has. If you're asking about it for your 1st gen, you want to look for a BW1354, or a BW1350. Either one drops in and gives you a manual shift tcase. I did this swap with a 1354 on our 94 sport and it works perfect. Some Bronco II's had the BW1350 but yo need to watch the front output on them. You can however use a 1354 and 1350 to make a doubler.

@worms92explorer I could be wrong, but I believe the 4406 only bolts to the auto trans behind a 5.0, which starkman has. If you're asking about it for your 1st gen, you want to look for a BW1354, or a BW1350. Either one drops in and gives you a manual shift tcase. I did this swap with a 1354 on our 94 sport and it works perfect. Some Bronco II's had the BW1350 but yo need to watch the front output on them. You can however use a 1354 and 1350 to make a doubler.

Thank you si for the help. I have a 96 not a 92. I got rid of the 92. But thank you for the info. I will be on the hunt for either a 1354 or a 1350.

I'm glad I found this thread!

The day I found this thread and decided I need a front bumper like that they went on sale for $199.99 free shipping!

It showed up today and it is nice and heavy without being too heavy. Time for me to get some 2x4 steel now.

Y2K 200K Father's Day

I think its fitting to turn over 200,000 miles on an off road run. This vehicle has been the must enjoyable vehicle I've owned!
Y2K%20200K-M.jpg

Y2K%20200K%20Fathers%20Day-M.jpg

Congrats on the milestone!! Clean up run next Saturday with Front Range 4x4, just up in Idaho Springs. You should join us if you're not busy, would be cool to get a bunch of Ex's on that run and rival the heep numbers. And would be great to see you and run a trail again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back