• Register Today It's free!

No Remote Start App

Ted K

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bethpage, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Platin
So, prior to taking delivery of my 2017 Platinum on Wed, I've been driving GMC's for 6 years, and the onstar remote app that lets you remote lock, unlock, locate and start the vehicle from distances further than the remote will allow is awesome and something I use often. Before ordering the Platinum, I reviewed the Sync, FordPass and other web pages and it seemed pretty clear this was available. I only find out now that while we have Sync 3, we don't have Sync Connect. No, it's not in a $54k Explorer, but it is standard in a very modest priced Focus. Ford, what gives?? Who in this day and age doesn't have a remote start app when remote start is standard in the vehicle. So, what did the dealer say; well for $599, plus $49 a month (not too concerned about the monthly fee), he can install last year's system. Wow, that's a crazy price when you can install a Viper remote start for $149 and has it's own app. So, has anyone done this, I mean installed after market remote start to all for an app, vs. using the OEM remote start. Or, has anyone added the $599 module from Ford Accessories. Would love some input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think it's available in the Focus except for the Electric model, which is a whole speciality into why that application is needed there.

But to that point, the Escape features it pretty prominently.

In any event, I have the Ford Remote Access application. I installed it myself for way less than that price, maybe in the mid 3s. It is useful for what I need it to accomplish and the price isn't horrible either--plus that also gives you an impact sensor for the alarm system. Keep in mind it's $49 per year, not per month.

It's not OnStar, bear that in mind. That level of telematics--for better or worse, I wouldn't want most of OnStar's feature anyway--really aren't what you're getting here. And unlike the Viper solution, there is no wire cutting and other messes. The Ford Remote Start solution is pretty smart, Viper (as far as I know?) can't trigger Ford's remote start routine which automatically detects ambient temperatures to re-set the climate to where it should be automatically, while triggering heated/cooled seats, and heated mirrors/steering wheel as appropriate.

So, prior to taking delivery of my 2017 Platinum on Wed, I've been driving GMC's for 6 years, and the onstar remote app that lets you remote lock, unlock, locate and start the vehicle from distances further than the remote will allow is awesome and something I use often. Before ordering the Platinum, I reviewed the Sync, FordPass and other web pages and it seemed pretty clear this was available. I only find out now that while we have Sync 3, we don't have Sync Connect. No, it's not in a $54k Explorer, but it is standard in a very modest priced Focus. Ford, what gives?? Who in this day and age doesn't have a remote start app when remote start is standard in the vehicle. So, what did the dealer say; well for $599, plus $49 a month (not too concerned about the monthly fee), he can install last year's system. Wow, that's a crazy price when you can install a Viper remote start for $149 and has it's own app. So, has anyone done this, I mean installed after market remote start to all for an app, vs. using the OEM remote start. Or, has anyone added the $599 module from Ford Accessories. Would love some input.
There are several members who have installed a remote start that has an app that uses cellular service. You can do a 'Search' to find threads on that. Here are a few that may be of interest;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/aftermaret-remote-start.418270/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/adding-remote-start-access.390603/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/fordpass-mobile-app.445144/

Peter

Im glad to see someone else feels the same way I do.

I was very underwhelmed when I saw the Remote Start App after using my wifes GMC ON* App.

What's more frustrating is the lack of updates to the App, as iOS 10.2 comes out the current App never got optimized for the latest OS. I even asked their Support people last year and they said "we are working on it". Then as iOS 10 came out I asked again and their response exactly the same.

How unethical can these people be.

Be honest, say you will not be updating the Remote Start Accessory and allow your customers to make better choices by going aftermarket. DroneMobile.....or something by CompuStar.

Your point about FordPass is also another sore point, why put that modem in a $25K Escape but skip the $50K Explorer. Again, very poor customer relations.

I actually had the chance to explain that frustration to one of the Explorer Chief Engineers but it fell on deaf ears unfortunately.

Bring any of these issues up to the IVT reps here and their response is to log onto another Ford outdated website and re-articulate your ideas. I dare anyone to find an idea that was actually used from those sites.

...... I dare anyone to find an idea that was actually used from those sites.
The reintroduction of the temperature display on the MFT was reintroduced due to the complaints posted on Ford Social after V3 removed it.

Peter

Has anyone actually gone ahead and added the oem remote start interface to a 2016-2017 that has factory remote start but no app access? Would love to get a part number for this and an aftermarket supplier. Also would love to know if the dealer needs to "flash" the car to get this to work once installed??

Your Platinum already has remote start in the factory remote?

Your Platinum already has remote start in the factory remote?
Yes, but the app doesn't work. It's "between years." So, the old Remote Start app doesn't work; no sim card. The new Ford Pass doesn't work, no modem in this model year. Want app access.

I'm sorry, I completely misread "no app" as you wanting to do it sans the app--my apologies.

To answer your question, I did just that--add in the factory aftermarket cellular app. It was quite easy. No flashing is required for a Platinum.

Yes, but the app doesn't work. It's "between years." So, the old Remote Start app doesn't work; no sim card. The new Ford Pass doesn't work, no modem in this model year. Want app access.

I just pulled my kit out of my 2014, transferring it to my 2017.

I was reminded the 2017 OBD II is now a Gateway module with a different connector so I had to purchase a new VSS Kit.

You need this:

Genuine Ford Vehicle Security System - Ford Perimeter Plus - FT4Z-19A361-A | Levittown Ford

(dead link)

Is this the only pace to purchase these components? Any place offering at a better price. I guess the $599 from the dealer wasn't so bad if that's the real cost of the components...

btw, Sgt1411, is that a coincidence that your link is to my local dealer, or are you local to me?

Is this the only pace to purchase these components? Any place offering at a better price. I guess the $599 from the dealer wasn't so bad if that's the real cost of the components...

btw, Sgt1411, is that a coincidence that your link is to my local dealer, or are you local to me?

No Coincidence

Benny at Levittown Ford Superstore is a Forum Vendor and usually has the best pricing that I have seen.

I bought my upgrade 17 VSS kit from him.

All Dealerships will be able to get these parts, same with (dead link) but Levittown is very good.

Is the 310.75 product just the RMU these days?

I purchased a new VSS when I moved from the 14 Bull to the Explorer and reused the RMU. I thought I got the VSS as part of the package last time I purchased the whole thing...

Have you checked out his location in the margin? I don't think he can be much further away than he is.;)

Peter

Have you checked out his location in the margin? I don't think he can be much further away than he is.;)

Peter
Yeah, realized afterwards. Been a while since I participated in an auto forum; forgot some of the basics.

Is the 310.75 product just the RMU these days?

I purchased a new VSS when I moved from the 14 Bull to the Explorer and reused the RMU. I thought I got the VSS as part of the package last time I purchased the whole thing...
What do you get with the VSS? What features does it add? Curious. Thought the car already had a security system. Does the VSS just add outside proximity alerts??

Also, is there an email for Benny from Levittown Ford that I could send him a request for pricing on the remote start and the VSS? Couldn't find a list of Forum Vendor links anywhere. TIA

What do you get with the VSS? What features does it add? Curious. Thought the car already had a security system. Does the VSS just add outside proximity alerts??

Also, is there an email for Benny from Levittown Ford that I could send him a request for pricing on the remote start and the VSS? Couldn't find a list of Forum Vendor links anywhere. TIA
One way to send a PM is to go to your user name at the top right and from the drop down list select "Conversations". On the page that comes up. select "Start a New Conversation" then on the new page in the "Participants" section start typing, Levittown Ford Parts. The address should come up as you begin typing.

Peter

One way to send a PM is to go to your user name at the top right and from the drop down list select "Conversations". On the page that comes up. select "Start a New Conversation" then on the new page in the "Participants" section start typing, Levittown Ford Parts. The address should come up as you begin typing.

Peter
many thanks for the instructions. Really appreciate it.

Benny's email is sales@levittownfordparts.com

The OEM Security System is simply a perimeter alarm, the VSS works off vibration from glass break or impact to vehicle body that's why it's supposed to be mounted directly on vehicle steel structure inside I.P..

The RMU (Cell Kit) only plugs into VSS module, cant plug direct into vehicle so you need both. The only downside is the VERY SIMPLE GUI thats provided with the Ford Accessory iOS/Android App.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to dig up this old thread for fear of it being amalgamated anyway.

Today I updated my iPhone7 to iOS 11 Beta 1 and guess what?........The Remote Access App is no longer supported.

I sent in a Support Ticket with SpinDance the software provider for Ford but if they dump this App there will be a big group of pissed off Ford owners that spent big money on remote access hardware.

Back