• Register Today It's free!

Sport 170* Thermostat Questions

CobraJohn

Reaction score
City, State
Magnolia, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Has anyone personally installed a thermostat in their Sport?

1. Where did you source yours?

2. Part number please?

3. Where on the Sport is the T-stat located? pic?

4. Was it difficult to change?

5. Did you have to "burp" the system when you refilled the fluid?

Thanks, John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone personally installed a thermostat in their Sport?

1. Where did you source yours?

2. Part number please?

3. Where on the Sport is the T-stat located? pic?

4. Was it difficult to change?

5. Did you have to "burp" the system when you refilled the fluid?

Thanks, John

1. Livernois Motorsports, $62.99
2. REPFORD-4D
3. Right under where the intake splits into a Y.
4. Very easy, took me 5 minutes
5. I didn't need to "burp"

Thanks for all the answers....I really appreciate that.

So why is a thermostat $63.00?

I'm sure I'll bite the bullet and lay out the cash.....just seems high for that part, yet if its the best option, that's not much in the grand scheme of keeping our engines cooler.

I can only guess because it's such a low production piece, I couldn't answer that question other than I was amazed when I bought mine awhile back.

Thanks for all the answers....I really appreciate that.

So why is a thermostat $63.00?

I'm sure I'll bite the bullet and lay out the cash.....just seems high for that part, yet if its the best option, that's not much in the grand scheme of keeping our engines cooler.

When they were first developed for the 03-04 SVT Cobra it was a combo of 2 actual thermostats. In order to get the right size with the proper spring rate two of them needed to be disassembled and put back together with a combo of their parts.

I'm not sure if that is still the case. Maybe they were able to source the proper spring by itself now. But either way its a better thermostat and the only one out there that is the proper fit, so thats $$.

Educate me please

Why does Ford want the engine to run hotter?

Why does Ford want the engine to run hotter?
Short answer.. Better emissions.. And its not just ford.. There are quite a few modern vehicles out there that "normal" temp is > 200F.

And just for future people reading the thread and thinking can just toss a lower temp thermostat into vehicles.. Don't..

You need to make sure your letting the vehicle get up to temp. What is "up to temp" is determined by the ECM of modern vehicles.. As long as your Tune and you engine temp jive your ok but if you drop the temp too low the vehicle will never think it reached operating temp and can throw codes, fail emissions etc.

~Mark

Sorry for the stupid question, but what's the point of changing the thermostat?? Does it really make that much difference? I just ordered the Lund tuner btw.

From the group buy topic:
EcobrickBob said:
I am running a 170 deg T-stat with the stock tune at the moment. With my custom CAI, my IAT temps are at or below Ambient on hwy, and my engine temp ranges from 179-185, usually in the low 180's. Engine temp was at least 5 deg higher when I was running the AirAid Cai, and IAT temp was always several deg over ambient. My fans have not been set to turn on earlier. Yes that is a very good idea, and would help even more in town, though Flex runs cooler than my G8, which has a tune to take advantage of fans, and 160 deg T-stat.

Where this helps at the strip, is that vehicle doesn't heat sink quite as quickly, and recovers sooner. It's a good idea even if you don't have your tuner change fan on temp.

is this thermostat works with non Sport models ? and what is the part number ?

My tstat i ordered with 93 tune from livernois is 160 deg..should help prevent heat soak in combination with my tune. I am going to run a tune without the tstat until i can in stall it in a couple weeks and then will switch to the tstat tune

Anyone run a 160* thermostat + tune ?

Shipped a tuner to Livernois for a performance tune and they called me to ask if I had a thermostat... presumably so they could include the fan temp modification (kick on fans when tstat opens at 160 vs stock). I didn't have a thermostat so they didn't include that option. I DD my XSport and will have it for many years... in the past, vehicles I've added tstats to didn't heat up as quickly in the winter and took a long time for the HVAC to get warm. Trying to keep it as driveable as possible in the NE Ohio winters... and so my wife won't complain. :)

Don't use such a low temperature thermostat. I have it in my 1995 van. My temperature gauge never shows that the engine is warm. Your computer is calibrated for an engine temperature of 197* F. Do a search for open & closed loop operation for more information.

Anyone run a 160* thermostat + tune ?

Shipped a tuner to Livernois for a performance tune and they called me to ask if I had a thermostat... presumably so they could include the fan temp modification (kick on fans when tstat opens at 160 vs stock). I didn't have a thermostat so they didn't include that option. I DD my XSport and will have it for many years... in the past, vehicles I've added tstats to didn't heat up as quickly in the winter and took a long time for the HVAC to get warm. Trying to keep it as driveable as possible in the NE Ohio winters... and so my wife won't complain. :)
Found this thread with the "search' feature and moved yours here. There are a few others as well.

Peter

Found this thread with the "search' feature and moved yours here. There are a few others as well.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I can always count on you to consolidate threads. ;)

I agree I think 160 is too cold. I'll probably run a tune without thermostat for now until see how it goes.

Tuner just arrived today! Can't wait to take a look. It's like Christmas!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. Livernois Motorsports, $62.99
2. REPFORD-4D
3. Right under where the intake splits into a Y.
4. Very easy, took me 5 minutes
5. I didn't need to "burp"
Did you need to drain any coolant?

Back