shaking/ vibration when i turn the steering wheel | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shaking/ vibration when i turn the steering wheel

Ok but when I do this figure 8 motion do I need the cap off and then fill back to the top as needed?

No, the cap has nothing to do with purging the air out of the rack. Unless your power steering fluid was low to begin with (or you've spilled some), you shouldn't need to add any.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks I will try this when I get off work, just wasn't sure if I need to buy some fluid or not.

Thanks I will try this when I get off work, just wasn't sure if I need to buy some fluid or not.

If you ever add or replace P/S fluid, be sure to use Mercon V ATF. Don't use power steering fluid.

It worked no more shaking lol. Thanks peeps! I also have a misfire I'm thinking I just need a full tune up and replace spark plugs and everything else that comes with that service!

About to use the same fix!! It's happen to me before but couldn't remember why or what the problem is. Thanks to this golden post my troubles will seem so far away

Another thought: I had a similar issue, with a similar resolution. It seems to happen every time I jack up the truck and hang the front wheels....

but (after hundreds of thousands of miles) ALSO had to change the power steering fluid (transmission fluid). The original fluid had turned into a thick black near-grease type consistency. Changed the fluid with a turkey baster, just sucking fluid out, replacing, and then turning the steering wheel back and forth. Repeated about 8 times, until the fluid ran nicely. Power steering then worked very smooth.

Good luck!

I had the same issue after replacing the right hub. I turned the wheels quite a few times while working on it. When I did the left hub I turned the wheels only as much as I had to. Didn't have any issues. It took a while to clear up the first time, I figured it was air in the system.

Hi, I'm new to the Forum and am excited to help out where I can. I just did tire rod ends on my mountaineer and symptoms are similar as posted here. This weekend I am going to do the method you mentioned.

I am not sure where to post or help out as last year my mountaineer would not start. Saw post somewhere on here about bumping the steering wheel and it would start. I had the security light flashing (pats) anti theft and it would not start.
Turns out it was a (4) pin elec wire harness under dash. Seems Ford Engineers did not think to add an extra 1.5" to the harness. When steering wheel was tilted down it pulled on the pin harness and one of the wires was broken but looking at it you could not see it.
I pulled on each wire and when I got to the fourth wire it came out. Pushed it into the harness, it started right up!

Just wanted to post a quick thanks for this thread!
In my case, the oil pressure switch went out so we pushed it into the driveway, which I'm sure caused all this, and I jacked up the left front wheel & removed the tire to make it easier getting to the sending unit. Got that fixed, put the wheel back on & torqued to 100 ft/lbs in star pattern, took it for a test drive. Went around a 15 mph right corner and I thought the left front wheel was gonna fall off! The shimmy scared the crap out of me. Took it home, re-torqued the lug nuts just to be safe, and no change. Started thinking maybe something was going on with the limited slip diff, auto 4WD, etc. I found this thread and that fixed it!
I did notice a slight amount of shimmy remained when going stop to stop in the driveway but it didn't show up while driving. I'm not sure how you all figured this out but I'm glad you did.

Take the cover off the power steering resevoir
Have a helper start the truck
Have helper turn the wheel all the way to the right and hold it there for just a second or two
Have helper turn wheels all the way to the left, hold it there for a second or two
Add fluid as necessary
Repeat until you do not see any more air being ejected out of the power steering resevoir
Refill power steering fluid, recap, enjoy

It may take up to ten minutes to complete this, its air in your power steering system caused by having the front of the truck elevated (such as on a jack or jackstand) and turning the wheels without running the engine.
You know the feeling of spending 7 hours wrenching on your vehicle and then when you're all done you go to back out of the driveway and there's something wrong? I was ready to just roll this thing off of a cliff.... but then I read your post. Breath of fresh air thank you so much

Back