Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

So I finally got to talk with Mrs. Squirrel about this @ZRacer83. Specifically about the 'different compound' idea that we had on FB. Now, again, she works for Continental and not Hankook, so things might be different there. When I brought up the 'alternate compound' being used for whatever reason (rubber shortage, etc) she told me that (as I already knew) on ETOs (experimental tire orders), yes, that can and does happen for various reasons. Typically very similar compounds, though, so wear characteristics would be nearly the same. However, on an OE tire that was built for and is going to a manufacturer (which is likely the case here) that 'no variations' are allowed. Again, different company, but I'd guess that Ford has similar policies across all their tire manufacturers.

Her best guess based on the information provided? Possibly a bad tire run on your batch of tires. It's obviously not a usual circumstance, but it can happen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine (2016 Sport) has 32k miles on it and they are almost shot. Mostly highway miles.

I'm going to get the Defender LTX....

Back a bit on topic, I looked at my actual tires when I was sending my 4 year old with my mother-in-law to preschool. Other than 'don't inflate above 40psi' I didn't see any other indications. I looked pretty thoroughly, although it was still early and I had a two year old repeatedly saying 'daddy, come back inside' the whole time so perhaps I overlooked it, but not having a 'recommended' psi seemed odd to me.

I've never seen the 'recommended' inflation pressure specification on the sidewall of a tire. The manufacturer of the vehicle on which the tire is used specifies the 'recommended' inflation pressure on a sticker that's affixed to the driver's side front door jamb. I believe this mandated by law.

Tire manufacturers imprint the 'maximum' inflation pressure on the sidewall. I believe this is also mandated by law or United States Department of Transportation regulations.

I've never seen the 'recommended' inflation pressure specification on the sidewall of a tire. The manufacturer of the vehicle on which the tire is used specifies the 'recommended' inflation pressure on a sticker that's affixed to the driver's side front door jamb. I believe this mandated by law.

Tire manufacturers imprint the 'maximum' inflation pressure on the sidewall. I believe this is also mandated by law or United States Department of Transportation regulations.
I've always gone by the door jam so it's not something I looked at much anymore, but it sure seemed like when I was first learning to drive (nearly 30 years ago) that they had both recommended and 'maximum' tire pressure on the tires. Just asked Mrs. Squirrel about it, though, and she said they just put the maximum pressure on them because different vehicles could need different tire pressures, which obviously makes sense. So I suppose this is a case of my memory failing me over the years. I stand corrected.

There are some complaints about Hankook OEM tires but not for treadwear:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2016/wheels_hubs/wheels.shtml
Only 3 reports and they are all about "blow outs".
What I found interesting is that on the Hankook website, the Ventus S1 Noble 2 is shown as a passenger car tire. The SUV tire is shown as the Ventus S1 evo 2.
I can't check to see which came on my '17 Platinum since I had the Winter wheels installed when the vehicle arrived at the dealer and the OEM tires are stored there.

Peter

Only 3 reports and they are all about "blow outs".
What I found interesting is that on the Hankook website, the Ventus S1 Noble 2 is shown as a passenger car tire. The SUV tire is shown as the Ventus S1 evo 2.
I can't check to see which came on my '17 Platinum since I had the Winter wheels installed when the vehicle arrived at the dealer and the OEM tires are stored there.

Peter
Just checked my '17 Platinum it came with the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires.

Just checked my '16 Platinum, and it also came with Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires.

That is what my ExPlat came with too, I really don't like the cold start (flat spot) vibration these have, takes about 5 miles before they warm up enough to smooth out.
• Hankook advertises them as 'The Ventus S1 noble2 (H452) is Hankook's Ultra High Performance All-Season tire developed for the drivers of sports cars, sporty coupes and performance sedans looking to combine on-road performance with all-season traction in dry wet and wintry conditions". So why are they on a 5,000 lb SUV?
• Consumer Reports reviews contain several negative comments about 'treadwear life'.
http://www.consumerreports.org/prod...re/hankook-ventus-s1-noble-2-222992/overview/

• More mixed reviews that mention treadwear, maybe vehicle weight is a factor:
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Hankook/Ventus+S1+noble2

You'll find that Hankook also shows the previous Optimo H426 as a passenger car tire.

Peter

Yes, but I would think that a SUV that comes with a trailer hitch and a 5,000 lb tow rating would be equipped with 'XL' load rated tires, these Hankooks are 'standard load' tires. It may simply be that Ford wanted a softer ride than a 20" XL tire could provide and since many people do not tow with these vehicles it is a trade-off.
edit:
I think when I next look for tires it will be for an XL type, simply because of the increase in load carrying at higher tire pressures. The tire load sticker on my car is for a 105H tire, like the my Hankook's, that have a max load rating of 925kg GAWR.
The same size Hankook Dynapro HP2 tire with a 'XL' rating has a 1030kg rating. You can use 35psi for drive comfort, then increase psi for load carrying, passengers or towing.

All four are at 4/32s and have been inflated at the recommended 32 psi. Tires have been rotated every 5k so wear is pretty even.
Sorry, meant 35 psi. Other car is 32.

I know this sounds silly but i have to ask, its 4/32" not millimeters and measured in the center of the tread? Did you measure them or some kid rotating tires at a tire shop (they really like to say everyones tires are junk). If 4/32" is the actual wear and the alignment is ok it might be hard acceleration if the tires aren't starting to round off on the edges, just throwing ideas out there. At this rate by the next oil change they will be at the wear bar indicators. Are you able to take a picture of the tire tread?

I use this type of gauge, it works really well and easy to read
http://www.lasertools.co.uk/items/xlarge/2962.jpg
Thanks for asking but I work in the automotive industry and am pretty well versed in measuring tire tread depth. The dealer also confirmed my finding.

Read your owners manual on tire warranty. I believe off poor memory that under 12k is 100%, 12-24k is 50% and 24-36k is 25%. It requires them to be at 2/32" so I believe once you hit that, you will be at 50% replacement.
Must have overlooked that part. Under the Hankook section, they state they will replace them if there is a defect within the first 25% of treadlife. After that they just prorate.

hmmm, well that rules that out and alignment. Could be a secret lead foot driver? :D, but yea wear that early is usually common on very high performance tires, which these are not, curious to see what the tire manufacturer or dealer says.

Thanks for asking but I work in the automotive industry and am pretty well versed in measuring tire tread depth. The dealer also confirmed my finding.

This is what the Warranty Guide brochure says about tires.

"For vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty time in service
and mileage coverage period, defective tires will be replaced on a pro
rata adjustment basis according to the following mileage-based
Reimbursement Schedule:
MILES DRIVEN PERCENT OF PARTS COVERED BY FORD
1-12,000 100%
12,001-24,000 60%
24,001-36,000 30%
The tire manufacturer also provides you with a separate tire warranty that
may extend beyond the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage. You will
find the manufacturer’s tire warranty with the owner literature supplied
with your vehicle."

Note: The Tire Warranty Guide shows an additional 36,001-50,000 15% as part of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It goes on to say;

"Free replacement If Hankook Radial Passenger & Light Truck Tires fail as a result of defect in material and/or workmanship within the First 25% of treadwear, the tire will be replaced with a new, comparable Hankook tire at no charge including mounting and balancing charges."
Beyond that it will be prorated.

Peter
Thanks! I skipped to the Hankook section of the warranty guide and completely overlooked that. Time to go back to the dealer. They originally said they wouldn't do anything and that it was up to the tire manufacturer.

Something isn't right. If the tires are actually underinflated, I would expect the wear to be less even(more wear on edges?).
How's the alignment?

Maybe your wife drives much more aggressive than you think...although, I would think you'd have to drive extremely aggressive to wear these tires down that quickly. I have the older Hankooks on my 14 Sport and am at a little over 50K miles and still have quite a bit of tread left. Easily another 15k out of them although I'll have to see what they're like before next winter.

About the warranty, I see it says "defective" tire. Would fast, even wear be considered defective?
The one thing I am sure of is that my wife does not drive aggressively. She doesn't drive aggressive enough. Lol! The older Hankooks seem to be lasting a lot longer than this model.

Something isn't right. If the tires are actually underinflated, I would expect the wear to be less even(more wear on edges?).
How's the alignment?

Maybe your wife drives much more aggressive than you think...although, I would think you'd have to drive extremely aggressive to wear these tires down that quickly. I have the older Hankooks on my 14 Sport and am at a little over 50K miles and still have quite a bit of tread left. Easily another 15k out of them although I'll have to see what they're like before next winter.

About the warranty, I see it says "defective" tire. Would fast, even wear be considered defective?
The one thing I am sure of is that my wife does not drive aggressively. She doesn't drive aggressive enough. Lol! The older Hankooks seem to be lasting a lot longer than this model.
Checking out that Hankook on both 1010tires and tirerack sites the lowest rating is snow performance followed by treadwear. In any case the tire receives a better rating than the previous Optimo H426.
The ratings on Tire Rack are fine except for the reviews by Explorer owners. There were several that seem to be having the same problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmm, well that rules that out and alignment. Could be a secret lead foot driver? :D, but yea wear that early is usually common on very high performance tires, which these are not, curious to see what the tire manufacturer or dealer says.
Hahaha. I am the secret lead foot driver, but I only drive it occasionally on the weekends.

Back