5R55W Fluid Fill | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W Fluid Fill

i broke the main hex bolt holding the torx bolt, flipped the old trans over and stole that one. done and done. for now.... thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All, I just joined this forum but have been reading for a couple of months. Last night I performed a quick drain and fill on a 04, 4.6l, 4wd, 120K. Not knowing the condition the vehicle and of the fluid I wanted to check the level. The service manual was never filled out, so who knows what was done in the past. Unknown condition so I'ss assume that it is the OE ATF with 120K on it. Tranny shift fine, but a little rough. Since I was going through the trouble I might as well change some of the fluid. Brought the truck into the shop hot. GOt it on ramps/stands so that it was level. Pulled the torx "level checker bolt" and hot dark ATF poured out. This was GOOD. From my reading the ATF level should be checked warm NOT HOT. Thus because it was hot I should have seen ATF drain out the level check tube. If I did n't I would have problems. Pulled the hex bolt and drained 2.75 quarts. THe ATF was dark but not too smelly or sludgy. Pumped in 3 quarts (minus all the spilling), with an air compressor. A little trick I learned years ago. Drill a hole in the cap of the bottle. Push a hose through. Pierce a 2nd hole at the top of the bottle/or cap and put a air nozzle through. turn the air pressure to about 10 psi and pump. Make sure the hose is at the bottom of the bottle. Here is a picture of a slightly different set up for when I did a ATF change job for my dad.
IMG_0110.jpg

Here is my question. I let the tranny cool down for a little while longer so it was not hot. Started it up and shifted through the gears and pulled the torx level checker. ATF dribbled out I watched it dripple for a couple of minutes and buttoned it back up. Now what is the temp that I should check it at. Warm but not hot is a wide range. I suspect that if I just let the engine run ATF would continue to dripple out as the fluid heats up and expands. Is there a "standard". I feel that what I did was ok. ANy reason to say otherwise?

I went out for a test drive and boy does the tranny shift buttery smooth. NICE!

While I was under the truck I swapped out the transfer case fluid (used non merc V ATF as it was cheaper). The auto 4wd was very clunky on engagement before. Well now it is smooth too. Tested by doing some hard launches on ice.

Thanks again guys for providing all this good info. I'll try to do my part in contribution to the best Explorer forum out there!!

Hi All, I just joined this forum but have been reading for a couple of months. Last night I performed a quick drain and fill on a 04, 4.6l, 4wd, 120K. Not knowing the condition the vehicle and of the fluid I wanted to check the level. The service manual was never filled out, so who knows what was done in the past. Unknown condition so I'ss assume that it is the OE ATF with 120K on it. Tranny shift fine, but a little rough. Since I was going through the trouble I might as well change some of the fluid. Brought the truck into the shop hot. GOt it on ramps/stands so that it was level. Pulled the torx "level checker bolt" and hot dark ATF poured out. This was GOOD. From my reading the ATF level should be checked warm NOT HOT. Thus because it was hot I should have seen ATF drain out the level check tube. If I did n't I would have problems. Pulled the hex bolt and drained 2.75 quarts. THe ATF was dark but not too smelly or sludgy. Pumped in 3 quarts (minus all the spilling), with an air compressor. A little trick I learned years ago. Drill a hole in the cap of the bottle. Push a hose through. Pierce a 2nd hole at the top of the bottle/or cap and put a air nozzle through. turn the air pressure to about 10 psi and pump. Make sure the hose is at the bottom of the bottle. Here is a picture of a slightly different set up for when I did a ATF change job for my dad.
IMG_0110.jpg

Here is my question. I let the tranny cool down for a little while longer so it was not hot. Started it up and shifted through the gears and pulled the torx level checker. ATF dribbled out I watched it dripple for a couple of minutes and buttoned it back up. Now what is the temp that I should check it at. Warm but not hot is a wide range. I suspect that if I just let the engine run ATF would continue to dripple out as the fluid heats up and expands. Is there a "standard". I feel that what I did was ok. ANy reason to say otherwise?

I went out for a test drive and boy does the tranny shift buttery smooth. NICE!

While I was under the truck I swapped out the transfer case fluid (used non merc V ATF as it was cheaper). The auto 4wd was very clunky on engagement before. Well now it is smooth too. Tested by doing some hard launches on ice.

Thanks again guys for providing all this good info. I'll try to do my part in contribution to the best Explorer forum out there!!
The proper transfer case fluid is Motorcraft XL-12, I would not leave trans fluid in there.

Always check the trans fluid level hot. It should flow out slowly when full.

The proper transfer case fluid is Motorcraft XL-12, I would not leave trans fluid in there.

Always check the trans fluid level hot. It should flow out slowly when full.

Thanks for the XL-12 reference, I looked that up from your post. It seems that Mercon I, the original Mercon was intended for Ford transfer cases, and Ford did away with Mercon. After many years of recommending Mercon V as a replacement for all Mercon applications, Ford changed their recommendation. Now they call for the XL-12 fluid to be used in most Ford transfer cases, those that called for Mercon I at least.

I also noticed that many people stated they think the XL-12 fluid is just a match to the Mercon I, so as the same fluid they call it a TC fluid, for $12+ a quart.

Well, the Mercon I may not be available on it's own now, but it is still available everywhere, as Dexron III/Mercon fluid. The same fluid is still made, the labels just state it meets the old Mercon standards, even though it's not licensed to be made any longer.

Blah blah blah, use the Dexron III in place of Mercon as needed, including transfer cases that called for Mercon. I use Amsoil any way, they have fluids to meet or exceed all fluid requirements.

You may want to watch this Brian has bled Ford blue most of his career. PS: the fluid is much cheaper at the dealer vs Amazon. Your choice, transfer cases are not cheap and a pita to swap

I saw that video, which is fine but doesn't take into account that the "special" XL-12 fluid may really be the Mercon I, which is a big markup to $12+ for something that used to be $2 a quart. That video also doesn't point out that the "special" XL-12 fluid cannot be used in later transfer case, I think it was 2014+ models. That video is from before more knowledge came out. Things do change, the trick is to learn what is actually new, and what saves money, what is most feasible.

I love Amsoil products, even given higher costs than most other regular brands. Their gear oils are cheap versus Ford though, Ford wants close to $25 a quart, and Amsoil is from $10-$13 each, and it's better fluid. I love Ford parts too, but Ford is well known for raising prices for huge profit, not for the customers or increased cost of production. I pay attention and shop around for the best products, at the best prices.

Thank you for pointing out that there is an issue with TC fluids, and Ford owners need to be careful about what they put in their vehicles.

I paid less than $20 for 3 quarts at the ford dealer

Not too concerned about the T-case fluid. My manual says merc ATF and that is what I put in it. I read a bunch of post about T-case fluid change and ALL of them say to use essentially any ATF. In fact this is the first time I have read about this xl-12 stuff.

What I think makes the biggest difference to me was the PCM reflash. I had a ton of updates. It feels much better .

IMO the auto trans fluids have been updated over the years primarily because of only a few factors: reduction in size of certain components (clutches), different friction materials being developed, and changes made to apply and release speeds, seeking more "smoothness" of shift perception. Original, old, "ATF" was 100% mineral oil, and was great stuff for lubricating almost anything, especially my guns! It had detergent qualities which cleansed also. Greasy, grimy hands and fingers cleaned up well using ATF. It seemed pretty non-allergenic.

Then came Dexron, followed by a few more Dexron improvements, and also Ford ATF, which was a bit different from all the others. It was used for a mighty long time, followed by Mercon and its successors. The more "sophisticated" these juices became, the more objectionable they were for skin contact, and they stink!

In reality, from my point of view, a transfer case having no clutch devices in it, only gears, and possibly a chain, all metal parts mainly, could not care less what kind of oil it contained. The types containing clutches obviously would require fluid specific to such use. Years back, I reduced my 1/4 mile times by using ATF in my 4-speeds with no problem at all. Drove cross-country with the stuff. Figured gear oil was like churning jelly, took lots of power.

I would today no way condone using any fluid in an automatic transmission, or T-Case having a clutch, not specified by the mfr. imp

Just drained mine on my 04 XLT V6 SOHC,,,, bit messy but thanks to this thread,,, it went smoothly. Car has 106k miles and as far as I know this is the first trans fluid change (I've had it since 45k miles),,, fluid looked great,,, still nice and purple and didn't smell burnt.

I do have one question though,, when doing just a partial change (without dropping the pan) wouldn't it be easier to take out the large drain plug rather than the little one in the middle? Wouldn;t you get more fluid out that way? Or am I missing something? Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.

The larger plug is the drain plug. The smaller one is the fill hole

Just drained mine on my 04 XLT V6 SOHC,,,, bit messy but thanks to this thread,,, it went smoothly. Car has 106k miles and as far as I know this is the first trans fluid change (I've had it since 45k miles),,, fluid looked great,,, still nice and purple and didn't smell burnt.

I do have one question though,, when doing just a partial change (without dropping the pan) wouldn't it be easier to take out the large drain plug rather than the little one in the middle? Wouldn;t you get more fluid out that way? Or am I missing something? Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.
You missed a big something. The fact that you got any fluid out is kind of bad as the fluid that dribbles out the little drain is excess. Go and read the first post again. To summarize. Warm car. Pull big drain plug. Drain ATF. Remove center small plug. Install fill nipple. Pump ATF back in till it barely starts to dribble out. Warm up tranny till pan feels warm. Fluid will expand as it warms up and dribble out the center plug hole. When ATF is warm but not super hot (this temp is contested) the level is correct. Put the plug back in the center little drain.

You missed a big something. The fact that you got any fluid out is kind of bad as the fluid that dribbles out the little drain is excess. Go and read the first post again. To summarize. Warm car. Pull big drain plug. Drain ATF. Remove center small plug. Install fill nipple. Pump ATF back in till it barely starts to dribble out. Warm up tranny till pan feels warm. Fluid will expand as it warms up and dribble out the center plug hole. When ATF is warm but not super hot (this temp is contested) the level is correct. Put the plug back in the center little drain.

OK,,, I did drop the pan so I get plenty out,,,, I think I just misread another post. Cheers.

Back