Rearview Camera Problems | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So I ordered the EB5Z-19G490-A from the first link at white bear lake. They got in touch and said that based on my VIN, it is a different part number (BB5Z-19G490-A) but on their site, it says the first part number supports my model. Both of these don't match the one I pulled out of my vehicle so this is super confusing, which part do I take the risk on, the VIN one seems to be safer bet but is $35 USD more (over $45 CAD) on an already hefty price.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same thing. Ford is know for updating the prefixes on their part numbers. I have seen this same issue with other part numbers.
As for matching you old number, that may be true. After I returned my 2011 from lease I had a 2014 MKT and the camera resolution was almost HD like. I believe that other Explorer members, of I believe 2013 models, also mentioned the difference. I really can't say which to go with. You could always try calling Levittown and see what part number they give you.
*****I did an Internet search on BB5Z and EB5Z and came up with another site that has a similar price difference between the two.
http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-camera-asy_bb5z-19g490-a.html

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife's 2011 Explorer just started having intermittent backup camera problems with the following symptoms:

Sometimes the camera works when she backs up
Sometimes the system reports camera not available
The camera seems more likely to work when headlights are on
The picture the camera shows is now showing part of the bumper that it did not used to show

I inspected the camera -- it does not seem to be loose or damaged.

Any help or hints greatly appreciated.

My wife's 2011 Explorer just started having intermittent backup camera problems with the following symptoms:

Sometimes the camera works when she backs up
Sometimes the system reports camera not available
The camera seems more likely to work when headlights are on
The picture the camera shows is now showing part of the bumper that it did not used to show

I inspected the camera -- it does not seem to be loose or damaged.

Any help or hints greatly appreciated.
Your thread was merged with this existing one. As many have discovered, the camera will likely have to be replaced.
Please add the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin when you post. That info can be very helpful at times. Thanks.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
My thinking is that the camera will have to be replaced given the number of 2011 Explorers that have needed that. I think that you'll also notice an improved picture.
Please add the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) of the Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can at times be helpful info. Thanks.

Peter

Thank you Peter,

I'm based thousands of miles away from you guys, the car is a 2011 XLT with Microsoft ford touch, took it to the dealer here they replaced the camera and updated the software for a total of $320 the image quality remains to be the same. just happy it works now. just to add prior to this work I opened up the trim and the removed the camera cleaned the connector but made no difference to the issue.

Korak

I have had the same camera issue on a 2013 w/ 80k "not working contact dealer" intermittent. I actually took a picture but have not taken it to the dealer yet. I have other issues with my computer. I don't consider myself that computer illiterate and I can't believe the system is that user UNfriendly. I have done the hard reset is there any other reset I can do?

I have had the same camera issue on a 2013 w/ 80k "not working contact dealer" intermittent. I actually took a picture but have not taken it to the dealer yet. I have other issues with my computer. I don't consider myself that computer illiterate and I can't believe the system is that user UNfriendly. I have done the hard reset is there any other reset I can do?
As for the camera there is no actual reset for the issue you are having. I'm quite sure the camera requires replacing.

Peter

Well my camera seems to have crapped out in my '13 limited. Checked eBay and can only find the Explorer model cameras for $300+. Are they the same camera that is used in the focus? Those are only $120. Different part numbers but looks the same. And what's the deal with the APIM? Saw the warranty is extended. Would that cause the camera to mess up? Everything else with MFT seems to be acting OK. Actually Navigation was a little sluggish to load the other day but eventually straightened itself out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

This is not an APIM issue. More than likely the camera has to be replaced. I'm not familiar with the one in the Focus but I doubt they are the same. For some reason prices just about doubled a couple years ago. The APIM warranty was extended on some model years due to the number of failures on the early models.

Peter

This is not an APIM issue. More than likely the camera has to be replaced. I'm not familiar with the one in the Focus but I doubt they are the same. For some reason prices just about doubled a couple years ago. The APIM warranty was extended on some model years due to the number of failures on the early models.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I got a letter about the APIM but wasn't sure if it was something I needed to get taken care of or not as I haven't experienced a problem yet until now with the camera. Problem I'm having sounds the same as everyone else. Saw the earlier posts about the price being around $100. No such luck now. They must've realized they were going to be selling a lot of these and jacked the price up. :mad:

2012 XLT. 65k miles.
Got the same issue last week (video stopped coming; says to contact dealer). Mine failed suddenly without giving any warning signs.

Is the rearview camera of Explorer '12 and F-150 the same? Part no. 19G490 matches but I believe the connector is different, is that correct?
Searched for wiring diagrams online and got the ones for F-150 camera that shows two rows of three pins each, along with resistance checks to determine if camera is a booger.
Does anyone have the similar electrical diagram for Explorer camera? My camera male connector has 6 pins in a single row. Googled but no joy.
Also, has anyone tried fitting an aftermarket camera by adding an additional wiring harness to the original one to accommodate the AEM camera?
Would appreciate a response.

Just to update...

I finally found the circuit diagram.

Checked the male pins/connectors on the camera. All resistances were found within the range specified.
Is it possible that the problem is still within the camera? Maybe the wiring? Any leads on how to proceed further for diagnosis?

P.S: Already checked fuse 29 and 34. They're good.

Just to update...

I finally found the circuit diagram.

Checked the male pins/connectors on the camera. All resistances were found within the range specified.
Is it possible that the problem is still within the camera? Maybe the wiring? Any leads on how to proceed further for diagnosis?

P.S: Already checked fuse 29 and 34. They're good.
I have merged your 2 posts with this thread. Chances are that like the rest of those posting here that your camera has to be replaced. Many 2011 and 2012 cameras appear to be failing lately. Some members have replaced it themselves but the camera seems to be around $300+.

Peter

While I agree that almost all of the 2011/2012 cameras reported here had to be replaced, there should be some testing to rule out camera issue from wiring issues. My camera pin resistances were found in range, which makes me jittery about the whole matter.

Dishing out 500$ for a camera is just absurd! I don't know why Ford raised the camera price last year. There are 15$ Chinese cameras in the market that work just as fine. It is a pity these can't be directly connected. I've read about some F-250 users connecting aftermarket Chinese CCD cameras with the main camera connect using a special harness (Ford P/N: FC3Z-14A412-A); price is about 15$. Too bad this harness is not available at the Ford center in my vicinity. Has any Explorer owner tried installing this? 15$ for harness and 15$ for camera is a pretty good compromise over 500$ camera, if you are not the "original OEM stuff" freak! :)

While I agree that almost all of the 2011/2012 cameras reported here had to be replaced, there should be some testing to rule out camera issue from wiring issues. My camera pin resistances were found in range, which makes me jittery about the whole matter.

Dishing out 500$ for a camera is just absurd! I don't know why Ford raised the camera price last year. There are 15$ Chinese cameras in the market that work just as fine. It is a pity these can't be directly connected. I've read about some F-250 users connecting aftermarket Chinese CCD cameras with the main camera connect using a special harness (Ford P/N: FC3Z-14A412-A); price is about 15$. Too bad this harness is not available at the Ford center in my vicinity. Has any Explorer owner tried installing this? 15$ for harness and 15$ for camera is a pretty good compromise over 500$ camera, if you are not the "original OEM stuff" freak! :)
To my knowledge no one has yet reported a problem with the wiring harness. All replacement cameras worked so that would rule out any issues with the harness. That said, I guess it is possible that eventually a harness may become faulty. I don't believe anyone has used the cameras you mentioned. After a camera has been replaced, the dealer then has to configure it to your vehicle and I don't know if those aftermarket ones can be programmed that way so that all functions will work.

Peter

Hello everyone!
Just like many of you, my rear view camera on 2013 XLT has decided to stop working as well. I've tired everything mentioned in the tread but nothing helped. I'll have to bite the bullet and spend some money on a new camera.

I was hoping if someone could tell me if there's any difference between these two model numbers:

DB5T-19G490-AB

DP5T-19G490-AC

The first one model number (DB5T-19G490-AB) I got it from the camera in my explorer and the other one is selling on ebay. The dealer is asking over $600 (CDN) just for the camera! It's a lot money. I'm hoping to get something compatible (and cheaper) :)

Hello everyone!
Just like many of you, my rear view camera on 2013 XLT has decided to stop working as well. I've tired everything mentioned in the tread but nothing helped. I'll have to bite the bullet and spend some money on a new camera.

I was hoping if someone could tell me if there's any difference between these two model numbers:

DB5T-19G490-AB

DP5T-19G490-AC

The first one model number (DB5T-19G490-AB) I got it from the camera in my explorer and the other one is selling on ebay. The dealer is asking over $600 (CDN) just for the camera! It's a lot money. I'm hoping to get something compatible (and cheaper) :)

I tore down my 12 XLT camera a few days back. The P/N was BB5T 19G490 AE. DOM was July 2011.

If you are okay with loosing the zoom function of the camera, you can install any decent chinese camera in the original circuitry using a wire harness P/N FC3Z 14A412 A. Cable cost is around 15$ and camera will also cost you in that range. Requires a small DIY job though.

I tore down my 12 XLT camera a few days back. The P/N was BB5T 19G490 AE. DOM was July 2011.

If you are okay with loosing the zoom function of the camera, you can install any decent chinese camera in the original circuitry using a wire harness P/N FC3Z 14A412 A. Cable cost is around 15$ and camera will also cost you in that range. Requires a small DIY job though.
There's zoom function in these cameras?? I don't care about the zoom function but I'm not that handy to figure out how to install chinese camera. So what is the model number...is it the whole thing ## DB5T-19G490-AB or would anything with 19G490 fit? thanks

Hello everyone!

DB5T-19G490-AB

DP5T-19G490-AC

Welcome to the Forum San.:wave:
According to these parts sites neither number is shown when I searched.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=rearview camera
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=rearview camera

Benny at Levittown is a site vendor and has supplied many members with parts. Keep in mind these prices are U.S.

Peter

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=rearview camera
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=rearview camera

Benny at Levittown is a site vendor and has supplied many members with parts. Keep in mind these prices are U.S.

Peter
Thank you. I believe those model numbers are older models. I will follow up with Benny.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter

According to the first link, Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX cameras are around 80$... that's a bargain.
Wonder if these can be fit into the EX. They sure look the same. Can't believe anyone hasnt tried this yet. Even google is silent on this one. Wish someone with the right knowledge and experience could comment on this...

Recalibration of the camera can be done via Forscan. 5 min job really. It brings back the gridlines and zoom feature automatically. Only wish I could get an 80$ oem edge camera here in Qatar, I would have probably been the first one to install and calibrate it. Would have posted the whole procedure for everyone's benefit. Alas! Parts sites dont ship it to Qatar.

Back