Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

So I finally got to talk with Mrs. Squirrel about this @ZRacer83. Specifically about the 'different compound' idea that we had on FB. Now, again, she works for Continental and not Hankook, so things might be different there. When I brought up the 'alternate compound' being used for whatever reason (rubber shortage, etc) she told me that (as I already knew) on ETOs (experimental tire orders), yes, that can and does happen for various reasons. Typically very similar compounds, though, so wear characteristics would be nearly the same. However, on an OE tire that was built for and is going to a manufacturer (which is likely the case here) that 'no variations' are allowed. Again, different company, but I'd guess that Ford has similar policies across all their tire manufacturers.

Her best guess based on the information provided? Possibly a bad tire run on your batch of tires. It's obviously not a usual circumstance, but it can happen.
Thanks for the information!!! I appreciate you checking with the wife! I think you are right. I think there was a bad batch out there. It seems as though many people are having no problems, but I have also seen several reviews of people having the same problem with their EX...all are on 2016's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just replaced mine on a 16 Limited. All 4 tires worn evenly but not much tread left at 28k.

Tengo 3000 millas en mi Explorer Limited 2016, me di cuenta de que están recogiendo trozos de goma de la banda de rodadura de los neumáticos delanteros, conducción no agresiva o fuera del camino caminos, alguien con ese problema, algunas recomendaciones, gracias

Tengo 3000 millas en mi Explorer Limited 2016, me di cuenta de que están recogiendo trozos de goma de la banda de rodadura de los neumáticos delanteros, conducción no agresiva o fuera del camino caminos, alguien con ese problema, algunas recomendaciones, gracias
Translated: I have 3000 miles in my Explorer Limited 2016, I noticed that they are picking up pieces of rubber from the tread on the front tires, driving non-aggressively or off the road roads, someone with that problem, some recommendations, thanks

Translated: I have 3000 miles in my Explorer Limited 2016, I noticed that they are picking up pieces of rubber from the tread on the front tires, driving non-aggressively or off the road roads, someone with that problem, some recommendations, thanks
Sounds like it could be an alignment issue.

Peter

Parece que podría ser un problema de alineación.

Peter

I just had my first rotation at 10,000 miles on these Hankooks. 8/32" on the rears, 6/32" on the fronts giving them a "yellow" and prompting the Ford service advisor that I'll be ready for new tires soon. I'd also add they are less than acceptable performance in the snow (for being all season tires) and the flat spots for the first mile each morning is irritating. Not happy at all!!! :mad2: I'd be interested to hear if anyone was successful with warranty claims on these "bad batch" of tires.

Although they are called All Season tires most tire people agree they are really a 3 Season tire. They don't have a proper tread or the right flexible rubber compound to perform well in cold weather. Also, as mentioned before, they are a passenger car tire, not an SUV tire. I'm not aware of anyone here who had one replaced due to tire wear.

Here is some interesting info. I searched the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 tire on the 1010tires.com site and the following message came up;
Sorry, this tire is not guaranteed to fit your 2017 Ford Explorer 4 Dr Sport Utility Platinum in OEM size: 255/50R20 (104T), but we have other tires that do fit,

Hankook shows the Hankook Ventus AS RH07 their All Season light truck and SUV tire.

Peter

I bought my '16 Sport used last August with 20k. Once the snow flew here in New England, I was dead in the water - the Hankooks were useless in the snow. Went to my mechanic and the tires were between 4/32" and 5/32. After another snow storm, I gave up and put four Michelin Defender LTX M&S on my Explorer. MUCH better in the snow and handles better overall.

I bought my '16 Sport used last August with 20k. Once the snow flew here in New England, I was dead in the water - the Hankooks were useless in the snow. Went to my mechanic and the tires were between 4/32" and 5/32. After another snow storm, I gave up and put four Michelin Defender LTX M&S on my Explorer. MUCH better in the snow and handles better overall.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
While the Defenders may be better, you can't beat dedicated Winter tires. They are built to handle snow and more importantly cold bare roads as they remain flexible whereas so called all seasons stiffen up as the temp falls below 44 F.

Peter

Update: After going back and forth with Ford Customer Care for over a month, they still say they will not cover the tires. They said the Ford New Vehicle warranty only covers the tires if it is determined they are defective. The kicker is that it is up to the tire manufacture to determine if they are defective. Of course Hankook says they aren't defective even though they have never even seen the tires. With only 4/32 left after 12k miles, there is no question the tires are defective. After arguing with supervisors and the dealer, they finally decided to cover about 60% of the cost of new tires. I am very disappointed with Ford's customer service, and it is also clear Hankook does not stand buy their tires.

Update: After going back and forth with Ford Customer Care for over a month, they still say they will not cover the tires. They said the Ford New Vehicle warranty only covers the tires if it is determined they are defective. The kicker is that it is up to the tire manufacture to determine if they are defective. Of course Hankook says they aren't defective even though they have never even seen the tires. With only 4/32 left after 12k miles, there is no question the tires are defective. After arguing with supervisors and the dealer, they finally decided to cover about 60% of the cost of new tires. I am very disappointed with Ford's customer service, and it is also clear Hankook does not stand buy their tires.
I completely understand your frustration, but looking at it from the other side, they have no way of knowing how the vehicle was driven except through what you told them.
From the start I was curious to know if they would accept "premature tire wear" as a defect. Now we know that it isn't.
Which model tire did you get? Were they the same ones that came with the vehicle initially? I'll be taking the Winters off at the end of the month and having the OEM ones put on. Haven't had a chance to drive with them yet.
Good luck with the new set.

Peter

I don't think you were treated correctly, regardless of how the car was driven. I once had Michelin LTX's on my 2002 Explorer with 80,000 miles and a fair amount of tread left, but since I noticed some small cracks in between the treads, the tire shop that I purchased them from called Michelin and I was given about 30-40% discount to buy another set of the LTX's.

I guess my original Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires can be added to this thread, they are mid-2015 era tires. They have 10,000 miles and the wear bars are almost at tread height and using the TireRack penny/quarter tire gauge method they measure just about 4/32" overall, some tread areas are less, some a bit more. According to the Dealers alignment machine my car is within spec's. I'll bring this up at my appointment in a week or so when replacement parts arrive for a warranty repair, this ought to be interesting.

It looks like this is perhaps what to expect when they install passenger car tires on an SUV.:(

Peter

Irronicaly I stopped by Discount Tire for the free air check and add since with our weather starting to change it was time to "top off" so the guy had/has the perfect chance to upsell or paint a dire picture and says "How many miles do you have on these as they look good"

I said just about 19K and said, "good you have more miles in these" ... so it seems to be doing well in comparison and I am not a light footed driver but tend to use "S" Sport mode as needed vs often to avoid extra FWD wear since I was cheap and didn't go AWD on this one. I expect to replace in the 25K mile range and for me, not unusual.

I completely understand your frustration, but looking at it from the other side, they have no way of knowing how the vehicle was driven except through what you told them.
From the start I was curious to know if they would accept "premature tire wear" as a defect. Now we know that it isn't.
Which model tire did you get? Were they the same ones that came with the vehicle initially? I'll be taking the Winters off at the end of the month and having the OEM ones put on. Haven't had a chance to drive with them yet.
Good luck with the new set.

Peter

Peter

i'm not having a lot of luck with my OEM Hankooks on my 2016 Sport. Pick my Sport up in Sept 2015
put winters on mid Nov 2015 so about 8KM on them.
Put the Summers back on April 2016 took them off in Nov 2016 about 25KM. Total 33KM they are worn down
more than half way, I have not measured them but I figure now more than 10KM before they would need replacing.
I have not pursued this problem as I have traded the Sport in for a 2017 Sport.
So that would be just over 40KM on a set of premium priced tires.
Around 25000.00 miles NOT GOOD.

Brian

Peter

i'm not having a lot of luck with my OEM Hankooks on my 2016 Sport. Pick my Sport up in Sept 2015
put winters on mid Nov 2015 so about 8KM on them.
Put the Summers back on April 2016 took them off in Nov 2016 about 25KM. Total 33KM they are worn down
more than half way, I have not measured them but I figure now more than 10KM before they would need replacing.
I have not pursued this problem as I have traded the Sport in for a 2017 Sport.
So that would be just over 40KM on a set of premium priced tires.
Around 25000.00 miles NOT GOOD.

Brian

I got the tire and rim warranty for my 16xp. $650 (got the dealer down from 1k) for 5 years. I knew that the tires will not last for more then 5 years. Will the front one's go 1st or the back ones?

I got the tire and rim warranty for my 16xp. $650 (got the dealer down from 1k) for 5 years. I knew that the tires will not last for more then 5 years. Will the front one's go 1st or the back ones?
If you never rotate, the fronts will wear faster.

If rotated regularly, they should wear evenly.

I'm at about 55k miles on my 14 Sport Hankooks(the optimos ) and they will easily make it to next winter. Hoping I can get one more winter out of them, but we'll see how they look next fall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats hard to say, all my 4 tires are pretty even ware.

Brian

Back