Mr_Fruffles

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO from Tinley Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer XLT
Callsign
Mr_Fruffles
Is it possible to buy a wheel hub and bearing already pressed or is that just not a thing? I cant seem to find one already pressed anywhere.

Its for a 2004 explorer xlt btw

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's 4x4 the front is all one unit with hub and bearing. If it's 2wd then front and rear have pressed in bearings and no they don't sell them that way. It'll cost ya but I would recommend a qualified shop to do it.

@TechGuru
You're saying 2X4 Explorers used the same front hub and bearings as 4X4? Then, the splined inner bearing race had no connection with a splined axle shaft? How were those bearing assemblies held in the hub? I always pictured the 3-bolted hub assemblies which were affixed to the steering knuckle were 4X4 usage only. I thought the 2X4 units had a conventional pivoting spindle with bearings contained within the hub, squeezed in place by a nut and retainer, like in the old days. Am I wrong? imp

@TechGuru
You're saying 2X4 Explorers used the same front hub and bearings as 4X4? Then, the splined inner bearing race had no connection with a splined axle shaft? How were those bearing assemblies held in the hub? I always pictured the 3-bolted hub assemblies which were affixed to the steering knuckle were 4X4 usage only. I thought the 2X4 units had a conventional pivoting spindle with bearings contained within the hub, squeezed in place by a nut and retainer, like in the old days. Am I wrong? imp

Yes, you are wrong.

Here is a 2WD model:

If you look closely the splines are all rusty from not being used.

Yes, you are wrong.

Here is a 2WD model:

If you look closely the splines are all rusty from not being used.

@TechGuru
Well thanks for making me aware! In retrospect, 4X4 models are more prevalent, and making up a different spindle system just for 2X4s would not make too much sense. imp

I have an 04 Eddie Bauer 4x4, just replaced both front and rear passenger side wheel hubs. The front came already pressed from Advanced Auto at around 100(I get a discount so maybe 120-130?). The rear came unpressed though they sent me to a machine shop that pressed for 50, so around 150 total for rear. Moog does make one that was already pressed but at a cost of around 400, so still better off having it pressed. Hope this helps

Moog does make one that was already pressed but at a cost of around 400, so still better off having it pressed. Hope this helps

Where do you shop?!?!?! Got mine for $227.39 shipped...

kbofnm.jpg

Where do you shop?!?!?! Got mine for $227.39 shipped...

kbofnm.jpg
Ahhhh! Depends on if I can wait on shipping. This was from Advanced, couldn’t wait on shipping.

Back