Exhaust Options for the Sport | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Options for the Sport

Did you not rev the engine in all of the videos?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This seems like a good inexpensive option compared to the Corsa. What was the labor time/cost? Can you post more sound clips revvin the engine or driving if possible? Thanks.

This seems like a good inexpensive option compared to the Corsa. What was the labor time/cost? Can you post more sound clips revvin the engine or driving if possible? Thanks.

Heres a link to me revving the engine. Phone is a bit away.

Since I did the job in parts w/ 2 different shops - it was a bit more expensive on the labor side. To get the mufflers replaced, that totaled ~$350 w/ tax from a somewhat local shop. Then I bought the Magna Flow Xpipe myself off of amazon for just under $100, and spent $95 to get that installed and the resonator removed. So all told, right around $550. I suspect had I done everything at same time and shopped around I probably would have ended up around $450-475 or so. As for time - I would imagine 1 guy could spend around 2-3 hours to get it just right. In my case, it took forever at the first shop as they had issues with the distributor bringing the miss match mufflers so I had to wait for that to get fixed, ended up taking a long lunch to do some conference calls, blah blah blah. Learned my lesson that time so for the XPipe install @ the second shop, I just dropped the car off and got it a few hours later when it was convenient.

To get the mufflers replaced, that totaled ~$350 w/ tax from a somewhat local shop. Then I bought the Magna Flow Xpipe myself off of amazon for just under $100, and spent $95 to get that installed and the resonator removed. So all told, right around $550.

Man Cali shows no love for labor,hahah. I paid 100 bucks to weld both mufflers on and then 80 to have the third cat and resonator removed, then they still put the resonator back in for me for 40 once I noticed the drone was insane without it.

Man Cali shows no love for labor,hahah. I paid 100 bucks to weld both mufflers on and then 80 to have the third cat and resonator removed, then they still put the resonator back in for me for 40 once I noticed the drone was insane without it.

HAH, yea tell me about it. housing costs make EVERYTHING else more expensive...freagin eh

I just installed Magnaflow exhaust on my 2014 Sport........and I like it!

$600 for the cat back and $100 for install, 700 total. It's loud but not overly loud and no drone so far!

Added DRAMUNO-5 22's Black on black wheels today and it's the best bang for your buck if you ask me. It changed the look of the car totaly!

Next: LED's Halo's, black door handles and tinted front windows!
:popcorn:

Anybody have any luck ordering 2015 painted door handles?
:feedback:

I just installed Magnaflow exhaust on my 2014 Sport........and I like it!

$600 for the cat back and $100 for install, 700 total. It's loud but not overly loud and no drone so far!

Added DRAMUNO-5 22's Black on black wheels today and it's the best bang for your buck if you ask me. It changed the look of the car totaly!

Next: LED's Halo's, black door handles and tinted front windows!
:popcorn:

Anybody have any luck ordering 2015 painted door handles?
:feedback:

Do you have the tow package? If so, did you have any fitment issues? I have read that the Magnaflow doesn't fit the Sport model with the tow package.

Where did you purchase the Magnaflow kit for 600? I'm torn on doing custom replacement mufflers or the full kit but the kit I've seen for 900 and i just can't swing that

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport. It sounds really nice when I first start it up but then it is so quiet. I want to give it small increase in the sound. I read numerous threads regarding the removal of the resonator. I read a lot stuff regarding removing resonators. Some people said it is bad because you lose compression others were saying it does not matter. After I found this thread I knew this is kind of what I want to do. Since I am stationed overseas getting mufflers or cat-back systems might not be as easy so I was thinking of removing the resonator. I think the key thing I was missing was the X-pipe. I have never heard of it and did not know what it was or did. In your opinion do you think I will get the increase in sound just by installing the X-pipe and removing the resonator? Did you you ever do a decibel/sound meter test before and after? Thanks!

All done, I think :)

This is the X Pipe I ended up buying -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XQO0VG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the mufflers I had installed as well just for reference -

http://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-94...&qid=1414298701&sr=1-3&keywords=super+44+2.25

I kept the stock tips but had the exhaust shop push them out about an 1.25" or so.

My thoughts -

Going from stock to just the rear mufflers changed out I was a BIT disappointed on the change as it was pretty mild. Definitely livelier but still pretty muted.

Yesterday I had the resonator replaced with the Xpipe and boy, there is a pretty drastic difference between stock and now and a good amount of difference from muffs only to muffs + Xpipe. It is pretty deep and throaty. Funny thing, as I pull into the garage now, the kitchen resonates like no other with all the dishes rattling and what not. Garage door rattles quite a bit as well. Not sure the woman is going to like that...we'll see.

I haven't spent a ton of time driving on the freeway yet so I haven't decided if I am OK with the sound over long distances. Like I said, it is pretty loud, even in the cabin. Drone - I suppose its subjective. There is a spot right around 2k RPM I think, in 6th gear that initially was annoying but I think I'm over that now. Again, another thing I'll have to hear about from the woman if that's going to be a huge issue or not.

Anyway, not much else to say. I'm pretty sure I wont be doing any further changes unless I *have to*. Overall, happy with the setup for now and would recommend it to anyone looking for a relatively loud setup. I should note, it is still possible to hold a conversation in the cabin without having to stress or yell to talk over the sound.

Hope the videos help anyone decide which way to go. PLEASE ignore my mess of a garage - I have quite a bit of projects going on all at the same time + my paintball gear has been out and not put away for a while now :) Thanks for all the contributors in this and the related exhaust thread for ideas and thoughts - I certainly appreciate it!

All 3 videos captured with the same device - HTC One M8 for anyone that cares.

2014 Ford Explorer Stock Exhaust in Garage

Ford Explorer Flowmaster Super 44 Mufflers - in Garage

2014 Ford Explorer Super 44's and Resonator replaced with XPipe - Exhaust in Garage

Has anybody considered removing the resonator and replacing it with the Flowmaster #425404 2.5" dual in/out:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/s...er-250-dual-in-250-dual-out-aggressive-sound/

Then cutting out the rear mufflers and replacing them with a straight pipe and some tips?

Anybody have and inputs/suggestions regarding this setup?

Thanks!
I'm not really too knowledgeable about the entire exhaust system so I'll let someone else comment on your proposed setup but I believe that a certain amount of back pressure is required to maintain peak engine efficiency. I suppose as long as you maintain the current level of back pressure it should not affect the performance.:dunno:

Peter

I'm not really too knowledgeable about the entire exhaust system so I'll let someone else comment on your proposed setup but I believe that a certain amount of back pressure is required to maintain peak engine efficiency. I suppose as long as you maintain the current level of back pressure it should not affect the performance.:dunno:

Peter
I think this setup is better than a replacing the resonator with straight pipes...thoughts?

Has anyone taken out the front large resonator and put a magnaflow X-Pipe muffler (Pt # 11378)? I did this on my G35 coupe back in the day when it had a loud obnoxious exhaust and it actually tamed the exhaust, made it a lot more deeper in tone, took away 90% of the rasp and made it sound sexy lol. I see some people have taken it off and used the regular X-Pipe, but I haven't seen anyone use this one yet.

Also, has anyone verified if the Gibson axle back exhaust works with the Ex Sport? I am looking a budget friendly exhaust mods and I think a mix of the X-Pipe muffler and the Gibson exhaust it would really awaken the Sport.

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Ex...?ie=UTF8&qid=1505819815&sr=8-1&keywords=11378

Has anyone taken out the front large resonator and put a magnaflow X-Pipe muffler (Pt # 11378)? I did this on my G35 coupe back in the day when it had a loud obnoxious exhaust and it actually tamed the exhaust, made it a lot more deeper in tone, took away 90% of the rasp and made it sound sexy lol. I see some people have taken it off and used the regular X-Pipe, but I haven't seen anyone use this one yet.

Also, has anyone verified if the Gibson axle back exhaust works with the Ex Sport? I am looking a budget friendly exhaust mods and I think a mix of the X-Pipe muffler and the Gibson exhaust it would really awaken the Sport.

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Ex...?ie=UTF8&qid=1505819815&sr=8-1&keywords=11378
I think this is what you are talking about:

That’s the muffler X-Pipe I’m referring to. He went one step futher though and took off the back mufflers. I’m looking to add some performance mufflers at the rear as well and not eliminate them. Maybe I’ll throw on some magnaflow one’s as well if the Gibson axle back exhaust doesn’t fit rhe X-Sport. Can any confirm or deny if the Gibson fits the X Sport or not?

That’s the muffler X-Pipe I’m referring to. He went one step futher though and took off the back mufflers. I’m looking to add some performance mufflers at the rear as well and not eliminate them. Maybe I’ll throw on some magnaflow one’s as well if the Gibson axle back exhaust doesn’t fit rhe X-Sport. Can any confirm or deny if the Gibson fits the X Sport or not?
I removed the secondary cat and resonator and replaced it with a "cheap" 2.25" x-pipe from Amazon but left the rear mufflers and honestly the small bump in deep tone is very nice. Sorry I didn't upload a video or pictures. I've read mix reviews regarding the Gibson axle back exhaust system so don't know how good they are or sound. I would rather go with a Flowmaster, Magnaflow or Borla mufflers.

I’ve heard videos of people with the magnaflow exhaust and honestly I couldn’t tell that they had an aftermarket exhaust on it from the YouTube video. After a quick search I am liking the Flowmaster 50 Delta Series. I want “better” performance and able to cruise around stealthy, but somewhat get noticed when I mash the throttle. I want a deep and rich tone that hints at I have something under the hood lol. Nothing loud or close to being raspy. I’ll keep searching and see what I can find. Only had the car for a week now and I’m wanting to go mod happy with it haha.

I’ve heard videos of people with the magnaflow exhaust and honestly I couldn’t tell that they had an aftermarket exhaust on it from the YouTube video. After a quick search I am liking the Flowmaster 50 Delta Series. I want “better” performance and able to cruise around stealthy, but somewhat get noticed when I mash the throttle. I want a deep and rich tone that hints at I have something under the hood lol. Nothing loud or close to being raspy. I’ll keep searching and see what I can find. Only had the car for a week now and I’m wanting to go mod happy with it haha.
I agree with you on how mellow the Magnaflows sound. There's another video on YouTube with an Explorer and Flowmaster's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not much performance is gained if any by replacing resonators, mufflers, or cats. Most of the performance gain is from the piping itself to increase the exhaust flow.

Back