• Register Today It's free!

2010 explore roaring sound

Jwynn007

Reaction score
City, State
Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 ford explore Eddie
2010 ford explore Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6, ok I have a sound coming from the front end, and after replacing the cv axe and hub on the right side after the abs sensor went out and replaced the hub on the driver side. I am still getting a roaring sound still. I can feel it a little in the steering wheel and a little in the food board and can hear from 5mph up to 50mph. It's like dunt-dunt-dunt-dunt-dunt and the faster I go the faster it goes dunt-dunt-dunt, can anyone help me out, I'm lost on what to replace or checked. Already rotated the tires, checked the breaks, nothing leaking, HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like either wheel bearings or tires. You can try to rotate tires to eliminate those, then go from there.

Bump, wheel bearing

You got a 4x4 by chance? Have a real good look at that front drive shaft U-Joint when you have a second.
I do have a 4x4 and I have taken the shaft out just to see if it was it but it still makes that noise

Sounds like either wheel bearings or tires. You can try to rotate tires to eliminate those, then go from there.
Already rotoated the tires and still doing it

Have replace both wheel bearing/hub

You did already replace them?? Unclear above. 2WD or 4WD is the same bearing up front

I have the same sound. 2010 XLT V6 4X4... Internet searches tell me it's not wheel bearings, but no good answer on what it is.... Will be watching to see if you get it resolved....

Not sure about the description of the sound - but after years here and personal experience:
- If it's a 4WD then remove the front driveshaft and see if the sound goes away. It's a common diagnostic procedure at least on my 2007. If the problem goes away, then you need a new u-joint.
- Rear bearings can also transmit vibration into the steering wheel. I just replaced a rear bearing that solved my vibration and roaring sound. Frankly, it's almost impossible to tell if it's coming from the front or the rear so don't get too caught up in that. In fact, I replaced my rear bearing to correct the roaring sound. It took care of the vibration also.
The absolute best way to diagnose a bearing problem is to determine if it gets worse in a turn. If your noise does not get worse in a turn then a bearing is not the problem. Left turn more noise right bearing - right turn left bearing.
Can you give us some more into like at least how many miles it has on it?

I have the same sound. 2010 XLT V6 4X4... Internet searches tell me it's not wheel bearings, but no good answer on what it is.... Will be watching to see if you get it resolved....

So replying to my own post here (despite the different user name, explorerforum locked me out of my first account), Really just replying so that anyone in the future who finds this post through searching will know how I fixed my roaring sound....
SO..... back when I posed originally I read post after post of people replacing wheel bearings only to have it make no difference, and at $150+ EACH, I didn't want to throw $300+ at the truck and have it not be the problem.
All the normal wheel bearings "tests" told me it wasn't wheel bearings. Turning left vs right made no difference in the sound (it got louder in both directions), jacking up the truck and trying to wiggle the wheel it was totally solid. So I just let it go....
Eventually it started to vibrate on medium/hard braking. And then finally, 15k miles later, I started to notice abnormal wear on the inside of my front driver side tire, So i replaced the hub/bearing on that side and the sound got quieter, but was still there. Then a few months later, I started to notice it getting louder when turning the wheel to the left.... Even though I still got zero wiggle when I jacked it up and wiggled the wheel, I replaced the right front bearing, and just like that, sound is completely gone.... I had just about forgotten what the sound of BFG's on the highway sounded like because of the constant bearing roar since I got the truck....

So in my case, it actually was wheel bearings.... I couldn't pinpoint which one it was because it was both of them.... doh...

Back