Help! In desperate need of a transmission in AZ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! In desperate need of a transmission in AZ

Drummer1

Reaction score
City, State
Cave Creek ,Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6L Limited
Hey all, my tranny is toast, need a used 5r55w for the 2002 explorer 4.6 xlt, i have a rare one I guess, i need this asap, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 or 4 wheel drive?

thanks Josh, 2 wheel dr

What are they asking that makes it so rare?

I dont know, the guy is saying 2K to rebuild it, I need mine rebuilt or a used one , or i have to let go of the ex :(, ive got a lot invested in her and want to keep her. I f i can get the trans for a great price , ill install it myself.

Have you tried local auto parts recyclers? You can find remans on EBay.

Im calling the yards now, i need a used one as the rebuilds are too much money, Im willing to put a used one in, if its cheap enough

If you end up doing it yourself be sure to FLUSH THE COOLER AND LINES before trans install.

With the 4.0L people swap out the 5R55W and install a 5R55S. Is it possible to do the same with the 4.6L? It would cut the replacement unit cost in half.Try Garcia auto recyclers they are at 35th Ave and broadway, if they don't have one they can check inventory of other yards. Ebay has a few for $1k and up

i found one, turns out mine is the 5r55s and i found one in Glendale for $1000! thanks for the help though!

i found one, turns out mine is the 5r55s and i found one in Glendale for $1000! thanks for the help though!
How many miles?

Back