List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

I currently have this problem on my '13 Explorer limited but the paint actually chipped off so now its exposed. I wonder if Ford will cover this since my car has about 46K on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I currently have this problem on my '13 Explorer limited but the paint actually chipped off so now its exposed. I wonder if Ford will cover this since my car has about 46K on it.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If the answer is like the majority of other posts in this thread with owners finding themselves in the same situation, I would say that you are out of luck with getting it covered.

Peter

If the answer is like the majority of other posts in this thread with owners finding themselves in the same situation, I would say that you are out of luck with getting it covered.

Peter

If it ends up being the case, I might buy some touch-up paint and try to fix it myself. Might still try to check at my local dealership first.

Hard to imagine a sharp lawyer has not filed a class action lawsuit. The fact that the bubble(s) occur in the same spot should seal the deal that it is a defect in materials or workmanship.

Hard to imagine a sharp lawyer has not filed a class action lawsuit. The fact that the bubble(s) occur in the same spot should seal the deal that it is a defect in materials or workmanship.

I agree with you on this. But who's going to get a lawyer involved, though ?

Peter
I forgot to mention that i do have a third party warranty from MajorGuard.

Corrosion is the process of losing a refined metal (recovered from the Ores), by chemical reactions with chemical reagents to form its Oxide, Sulphide or its metal salt. Thus oxidation is one form of corrosion of metals to form their oxides. Corrosion of Metals also happen by other chemicals like Sulphur, Sulphur Dioxide, Sulphur Trioxide or Acids and other Chemical Agents. Metals like Silver and Copper, react with Sulphur from Atmosphere or Hydrogen Sulphide to form their Sulphides. Acids like Sulphuric Acid or Hydrochloric Acid react with metals like Iron and Aluminium to form salts like Iron Sulphate or Aluminium Chloride.
The difference is that Corrosion destroys some metals like Iron while Oxidation prevents other metals like Aluminum from being destroyed.

I think if we all buy $50 hood deflectors that should help out Ford a lot with this hood bubble problem. Who agrees with this great idea?
I really like the idea!
We have to sell this innovation to Ford as a really cheap alternative for those who doesnt stand behind its products (like Ford)!
Another solution could be replacing Aluminum hoods with plastic ones as Ford can not treat Aluminum properly. Ooops, sorry, it may not work out because Ford cannot handle plastic too... :(

I think if we all buy $50 hood deflectors that should help out Ford a lot with this hood bubble problem. Who agrees with this great idea?

I really like the idea!
We have to sell this innovation to Ford as a really cheap alternative for those who doesnt stand behind its products (like Ford)!
Another solution could be replacing Aluminum hoods with plastic ones as Ford can not treat Aluminum properly. Ooops, sorry, it may not work out because Ford cannot handle plastic too... :(

See post 660 above.

See post 660 above.
Like, you mean, no sarcasm allowed here as it "Serious Explorations"?
Of course the proposal will NOT fix the problem!!! But this is the main idea! Ford wanna go cheap, so lets help Ford not to fix the problem but just cover it!

Anybody having this issue with their 2016 or 2017? I'm planning on installing an aeroskin protector to our new 2017 Platinum right off the bat to avoid rock chips anyway. Is the problem possibly worse in areas that have snow/ice/salted roads by chance?

Anybody having this issue with their 2016 or 2017? I'm planning on installing an aeroskin protector to our new 2017 Platinum right off the bat to avoid rock chips anyway. Is the problem possibly worse in areas that have snow/ice/salted roads by chance?
I don't think the weather etc. make a difference. Neither does it seem to matter of the vehicle is garaged or not. The issue seems to be with the hood in that particular front lip area. The mystery seems to be why only some hoods seem to be experiencing this. Going back trough the last 4 pages there are no complaints from any 2016+ owners.
It will be interesting to see if that will change.

Peter

My 2011 Explorer's hood has had minor bubbling since I purchased it used in 2013. I assumed the dealership sloppily repaired a chip or two. Throughout the years the bubbling areas have gotten larger and increased in numbers alerting me to the fact I was incorrect in my assumption. My neighbor, a Ford Fanatic, recently told me this is a problem with the Explorer. The way the hood is designed holds the moisture in thus causing corrosion UNDER the paint. My paint has graduated from bubbling to cracking and now chipping. My Explorer has over 121,000 and obviously is out of warranty but as a consumer you would like to think since this is a known problem, Ford would fix this issue on current vehicles as well as redesign this flaw on newer vehicles. The paint is only the tip of the iceberg and as much as I love the look of the Explorer, I can't say that I will ever purchase another one. I have had too many problems with my particular Explorer.

My 2011 Explorer's hood has had minor bubbling since I purchased it used in 2013. I assumed the dealership sloppily repaired a chip or two. Throughout the years the bubbling areas have gotten larger and increased in numbers alerting me to the fact I was incorrect in my assumption. My neighbor, a Ford Fanatic, recently told me this is a problem with the Explorer. The way the hood is designed holds the moisture in thus causing corrosion UNDER the paint. My paint has graduated from bubbling to cracking and now chipping. My Explorer has over 121,000 and obviously is out of warranty but as a consumer you would like to think since this is a known problem, Ford would fix this issue on current vehicles as well as redesign this flaw on newer vehicles. The paint is only the tip of the iceberg and as much as I love the look of the Explorer, I can't say that I will ever purchase another one. I have had too many problems with my particular Explorer.
I don't know if I agree with your neighbour but I also can't disprove his theory. There are many Explorers out there that don't seem to have the issue. My 2011 did not. I think it is likely due to the processing/finishing procedure of some of the aluminum hoods. In any case it is a problem for many owners but don't expect the manufacturer to pay for any repairs.

Peter

First post here in the forum..

I have been driving a new 2017 platinum, and after the first few days I can see why they have problems.

There seems to be a lot of "flex" in the hood while driving at highway speeds.. for the first 5 days I swear the hood
was unlatched.. (but it wasn't.. checked it many times).. the transition from the thiner flexing area, and the thinker "frame" of the hood
would be near the front, and the most likely point of stress on the paint. prime place to start peeling.

I ended up getting the 3M guard on the hood as I've had great results on previous vehicles (before I even knew about the issue on the explorers)

I guess we will see if it holds up..

I don't think the weather etc. make a difference. Neither does it seem to matter of the vehicle is garaged or not. The issue seems to be with the hood in that particular front lip area. The mystery seems to be why only some hoods seem to be experiencing this. Going back trough the last 4 pages there are no complaints from any 2016+ owners.
It will be interesting to see if that will change.
Peter

First post here in the forum..

I have been driving a new 2017 platinum, and after the first few days I can see why they have problems.

There seems to be a lot of "flex" in the hood while driving at highway speeds.. for the first 5 days I swear the hood
was unlatched.. (but it wasn't.. checked it many times).. the transition from the thiner flexing area, and the thinker "frame" of the hood
would be near the front, and the most likely point of stress on the paint. prime place to start peeling.

I ended up getting the 3M guard on the hood as I've had great results on previous vehicles (before I even knew about the issue on the explorers)

I guess we will see if it holds up..
I have noticed some very slight vibration in the hood when travelling into a strong wind. Never noticed it on my 2011. In any case the problem is with corrosion under the paint causing bubbles/blisters that eventually begin to peel. The issue isn't paint cracking that is causing the corrosion. I don't know if that 3M guard wraps around and under the lip but going from all the posts here, it will not prevent the issue if the same problem still exists with the 2016/17 aluminum hoods. Basically the issue is from the inside out and not from the outside in.

Peter

I have noticed some very slight vibration in the hood when travelling into a strong wind. Never noticed it on my 2011. In any case the problem is with corrosion under the paint causing bubbles/blisters that eventually begin to peel. The issue isn't paint cracking that is causing the corrosion. I don't know if that 3M guard wraps around and under the lip but going from all the posts here, it will not prevent the issue if the same problem still exists with the 2016/17 aluminum hoods. Basically the issue is from the inside out and not from the outside in.

My hood does have a little flutter on the highway as well. I wonder how well that weatherstrip underneath the hood seals. Not very surprising though. My Mustang had so much worse of a hood flutter. No worries as long as it's latched. The OEM latch is designed well.

We really should start seeing this hood paint issue clear up since they figured out what the issue was. Not really sure if it's been said here but the issue was cross contamination when sanding with the same sandpaper on steel AND aluminum body panels.

I just picked up my 2013 ruby red explorer from the dealer.4years old with 15000 miles.
They had it for 3 days to repair the paint bubbles on the hood.
The estimate was $900.00 but they or Ford picked up half of it.
The hood looks great and the paint matches perfectly.
I think I made out better then some and not as well as others.
But it's better than nothing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up my 2013 ruby red explorer from the dealer.4years old with 15000 miles.
They had it for 3 days to repair the paint bubbles on the hood.
The estimate was $900.00 but they or Ford picked up half of it.
The hood looks great and the paint matches perfectly.
I think I made out better then some and not as well as others.
But it's better than nothing
Not a bad idea to keep an eye on it over the years as some have had the bubbling start again after having it repaired.

Peter

Back