2020 Explorer or Aviator?

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Went to Dearborn and was caught off guard with camo vehicles. At an intersection I caught what was either the next explorer or aviator driving around the testing facility. Sorry I could only snap this 1 pic in time.

Screenshot_20170405-091418_zpssvsqt0jj.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wheels look great. I like the hard lines. I'm eagerly waiting for the final reveal of the redesign.

Aviator is the next one coming out.

I'm all over the Aviator if it comes back!

I have heard from my dealer that the Aviator will be back, it's to early to start show the 2020 Explorer, it's in the drawing board but still to early they have make the tooling first. The Aviator is easier because most likely its a different grill lights etc....Soon to see the new Expedition on the road it is Awesome just to big for me.

And talking with more of my Ford people, it sounds like it's the redesigned Navigator all camo'd up.

Newport, they are coming out with an aviator. It will be out before the redesigned Explorer (not the refresh one).

And talking with more of my Ford people, it sounds like it's the redesigned Navigator all camo'd up.

Newport, they are coming out with an aviator. It will be out before the redesigned Explorer (not the refresh one).
That is correct, Lincoln want to bring back the Aviator, which I think is a bad deal. They will glut their line again and hurt themselves. I think they should just bring the navigator and Expedition and keep upgrading the Explorer, they saw that the Aviator was just an upgraded Explorer and they both got hurt and they dropped the Aviator and upgraded the Explorer and bingo look at the Explorer the way they are selling...! Just saying!

take away the platnium explorer and make it a lincoln makes alot of sense honestly. It would sell better too I suspect. I mean when I was looking at the edge product before deciding on the explorer I started looking hard at the lincoln model.

meanwhile though - when is the new explorer on ranger design kicking off 19, or 20?

take away the platnium explorer and make it a lincoln makes alot of sense honestly. It would sell better too I suspect. I mean when I was looking at the edge product before deciding on the explorer I started looking hard at the lincoln model.

meanwhile though - when is the new explorer on ranger design kicking off 19, or 20?
That makes sense also. I think they might kill the platinum down the line. I think they are just testing waters to see how it sells. Lincoln has always had a better deal and pricing. Let's see what Detroit is thinking!

Nobody wants to spend $55,000 for a $35,000 Ford. But they would happily spend that, and more, if it carried a Lincoln badge. Explorer should top out around $44,000 to $47,000. Anything higher gets moved to the Lincoln stable.

Ford's management is so screwed up it just amazes me.

Nobody wants to spend $55,000 for a $35,000 Ford. But they would happily spend that, and more, if it carried a Lincoln badge. Explorer should top out around $44,000 to $47,000. Anything higher gets moved to the Lincoln stable.

I have a platinum, But I did not spend that amount. I paid 48,900.00 tax and all, but like I said they might drop it due to sales...!

meanwhile half the automotive world seems to agree that 1) the current FWD- taurus platform based explorer is going away - and 2) the new global ranger device is coming and it will be the basis of the next cleansheet redesign Explorer.

It would make sense to go back to that - if the ranger exists to be used. Since they make another device that is explorer like - off the ranger chassis in other parts of the globe.

but meh - I've got another 4-7 years anyway.

Superduty Platinum, F150 Platinum, Explorer Platinum, Fusion Platinum, Expedition Platinum..

Why would they take the Platinum away as the high end trims are selling like hot cakes for Ford. Lincoln has their own high end trim "Black Label" which is a lot nicer then the Platinum line.

What amazes me is this ridiculous post that is 100% inaccurate in every way possible. If Ford management is doing anything right, it is pricing the vehicles the way they do creating the ridiculous profits they are. Sheesh.. do some research.. it is the high end trims that Ford is selling on the more expensive Ford models.

And if you were to go with a Black Label Lincoln version, you are talking a $15,000 increase in price just with the Black Label trim and customizations from the trim levels below.

meanwhile half the automotive world seems to agree that 1) the current FWD- taurus platform based explorer is going away - and 2) the new global ranger device is coming and it will be the basis of the next cleansheet redesign Explorer.

It would make sense to go back to that - if the ranger exists to be used. Since they make another device that is explorer like - off the ranger chassis in other parts of the globe.

The Explorer is being built on a BRAND NEW platform that isn't even out yet. It is not being built on the current Ranger platform.

You think the lincoln version of the Explorer would sell better? The explorer doing 220,000 a year or so (+/-) on its own and Lincoln selling about 120,000 vehicles total across all models currently. Explorer is almost doubling what Lincoln does across 6 or so vehicles. Not gonna happen.

That is correct, Lincoln want to bring back the Aviator, which I think is a bad deal. They will glut their line again and hurt themselves. I think they should just bring the navigator and Expedition and keep upgrading the Explorer, they saw that the Aviator was just an upgraded Explorer and they both got hurt and they dropped the Aviator and upgraded the Explorer and bingo look at the Explorer the way they are selling...! Just saying!

You are exactly right but that was the issue back in the early 2000s. Lincoln and Ford looked the same minus headlights and taillights. Most of the sheet metal looked identical.. they didn't differentiate the designs enough and that was the problem. Having an Aviator that looks like it is its own vehicle and not a copy of the Explorer is what Lincoln needs. Even a 2 door Lincoln car (cough - mustang variant) will do Lincoln some good.

Yeah I wasn't saying it would out sell the explorer as a whole model range - that's absurd. I'm saying take the platinum item - make it the base lincoln (and yes with some different sheet metal) and I think it would sell very well - and might sell better than the platinum explorer if the price was at or near the same mostly because I think it would pull some lexus and infinity and other owners over to the lincoln that won' t darken the door of a ford dealer.

TO be fair they probably could do that with every other product on the range except the trucks.

On the other bit - isn't the current global ranger platform also up for a redesign or refresh? My understanding is that it is due for one and that NA introduction model will be that starting point. And timing being what it is - many people are looking at the next clean sheet of the explorer to move back to that sort of design system. If they do make it a touch bigger - with a touch more room I think I'd like it. I don't want to have to move to a navigator-expedition device.

The final bit yes lincoln needs a few things like a proper sport sedan - the continential has my attention but sure would be nice if it had some other mates. and I've always said they smurfed up a long time ago not making a lincoln model of the mustang. Especially the current model.

Side note - I also would have loved Ford to bring the AUS falcon car to the states. or you know even better make a version of the falcon car in the US. But I digress.

You are exactly right but that was the issue back in the early 2000s. Lincoln and Ford looked the same minus headlights and taillights. Most of the sheet metal looked identical.. they didn't differentiate the designs enough and that was the problem. Having an Aviator that looks like it is its own vehicle and not a copy of the Explorer is what Lincoln needs. Even a 2 door Lincoln car (cough - mustang variant) will do Lincoln some good.
Blwnsmoke. I know you are part of the info with the Ford Engineers, do you know if their is any update on the sync 3 ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.....It would make sense to go back to that - if the ranger exists to be used. Since they make another device that is explorer like - off the ranger chassis in other parts of the globe.

I've read that the Ranger will actually be out before the Bronco.

Peter

Back