My new 347 | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My new 347

Teaser pic. Should ship today.
More to come when I get my hands on it.

Where's that hard-on Smilie? :eek:

Professionally built stock bottom end by Ford Strokers 28oz imbalance crank
Wiseco pistons, shooting for around 9.6 to 1 comp.
gt40p heads ported (by Thumper) with 1.94/1.54 SS undercut valves and upgraded springs. Intake ports measured 140cc
Custom cam designed with my rear mount turbo in mind

28oz Damper DamperDudes.net (Americas Largest supplier of harmonic balancers)
28oz flex Plate 1830201 - Small Block Ford 289-351W 1963-1982, 28 oz Ext-bal, 164 Teeth
TCS Torque converter shooting for 2400 (1800 stock) stall. Single over-sized clutch for lockup to try to get that turbo spooling, and weight moving.
Trick Flow Track Heat intake
Scorpion Endurance Series Rocker Arms SCC-SCP3021BL
Rocker Arm Channel Kit M-6588-A50
Rocker Arm Pedestal Shim Kit M-6529-A302
Head Dowels TFS-51400420
Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Lifters 851-16
Pushrod Length Checker TFS-9000
Rocker Arm Pedestal Shim Kits M-6529-A302
water pump reverse rotation GMB-125-1960
Oil Pump Melling M68
ARP Head Studs @ 80lbs w moly
ARP Oil Pump Driveshaft Kits 1 54-7904
ARP High Flexplate Bolt Kits 100-2901
PCV Valve EV127A
push rods: Chromoly, 5/16 in. Diameter, 6.250 in. Length, Ball/Ball Ends Comp Cams CCA-8400-16

gaskets:
header gasket remflex 3028 or Earls Pressure Master 29D03AERL
oil pan gasket Fel-Pro OS34508R
Head Gaskets Fel-Pro 9333PT1
lower intake: Fel-Pro FEL-1250s3
Oil Pan Gasket FEL-OS13260T
Bolt O ring oil filter adapter FOTZ6749B
Block O ring oil filter adapter F6TZ6L621AA edit: it was for too large of a circle. I had to cut it back and use ultrablack to ensure a seal.

Crank bearings....Very sad story on my new motor
695-MS590HX x 1 MAIN BEARING SET Standard Size
695-CB634P20 x 8 CONNECTING ROD BEARING 20 thou undersized for cut crank :(
edit...New cam synchro gear needed. Shaft size .531 Use a steel gear

edit:
moved to Twisted Wedge fac 170 heads
Pushrods: 5/16" with a length of 6.7"
Comp Ultra gold 1.6 rockers
Custom FTI cam
Morel link bar lifters
rollmaster timing set
Fel-Pro 1133SD4 MLS head gaskets

Strategy is REAC4A2 for Tuning

Siemens Deka 63lbs/hr EV6 Injector Part #108191
Aeromotive 340 Fuel Pump, part #11542

347 at Ford Strokers.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

April Fool's Day. Keep at it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

ARP head studs this time?

They were ARP head studs last time.
I bought them used, so maybe they were not torquing properly? No idea on the history.

Anyway, new head studs this time.

small update.
Rods are in, and measurements taken.

The HX bearings I provided are too loose. The tighter bearings showed up this morning. He hopes to balance the assembly this weekend. Then he can assemble the short block as its cleaned and ready to go.

With any luck, I'll have the motor back this weekend to start assembling the rest of it.

I'll see if I can swing by Tim's and pick up his engine stand over the weekend or early next week. I think I use his stand and lift way more than he does.

shoot for mid week. the amount of vehicles i have in my driveway right now i am looking like a used car lot lol
1 person, 4 trucks. you know when you had too many hotwheels as a kid when.....

What rods are you using?

They are the scat pro stock I beam rods.
Not an expensive rod, but forged. 4340 steel.

With the stock block, I'm sure ill bust it before the rods.

I also asked more about the bent rods. The bent rods were attached to the pistons that were hitting the crank.

They were ARP head studs last time.
I bought them used, so maybe they were not torquing properly? No idea on the history.

Anyway, new head studs this time.
Put a skirt on the old ones and send them to me. :)

If you want em, pm me your address.
They are yours for cost of shipping.

Just because I'm concerned that they might be contributing to the source of my head lifting issue, they are free. Remember, I was using these studs when I hydro locked my motor.

If you want em, pm me your address.
They are yours for cost of shipping.

Just because I'm concerned that they might be contributing to the source of my head lifting issue, they are free. Remember, I was using these studs when I hydro locked my motor.
I understand the concern. I will put them to good use and let you know how they hold up. I'm good at stress testing....

Those are ARP studs, nothing like the torque to yield made to stretch parts. I too would have considered changing the old ones given the issue, but I wouldn't hesitate to reuse the old studs in something else.

There are fake ARP studs being sold, eBay was one of the places they showed up.

Hmm, that's not good to hear. The counterfeit market has grown with the internet to include a lot of things we all have interests in. We have to watch out for deals that are too good to be true, for anything these days.

I bought my new head studs from Summit racing, so there is absolutely no question about where they came from, or their history.
I'm reasonably certain that the head studs Josh will have (still in transit, seems pretty slow delivery time to me) are ARP, but what do I know? 4pointslow does raise a point that we need to be careful buying used, or off ebay.

motors back home on a stand.
I had the machine shop install the heads and look for issues (They also lightly decked the block surfaces).

One of the issues they saw was the Head locating dowels TFS-51400420 seemed a hair too long. This would keep the head from drawing tight against the block. Machinist said that they are beautiful hardened steel dowels, but the non hardened ones crush as required and are easier to work with. Head gaskets are .043 in height, so its not like they are super skinny gaskets. The machinist just shortened the TFS dowels a few thou.

Its funny that just last week I was reading about a guy that ran in to the same thing. Something for anyone else doing r&r on their heads to be aware of as a possible issue.

Now with the block home, I can't get to assembly. Work and family are getting in the way. I will get started finishing assembly next week.

TFS-51400420_ml.jpg

I was looking on eBay for ARP studs when I came across a couple stories of fake ARP stuff.
At least you know you got real stuff.
Hope you find the time to get back to it, I am still trying to get back to my stock 98 4 door to look into the trans problem more.
Not enough time in the day.

Look!
Its a knock sensor!!!!

Tim, recognize the heavy duty block to frame cable you made for me?

Knock sensor.jpg

Then came a dilemma.
I'd read about another header gasket made by Earl's (929D03AERL(.
Same idea as the remflex 3028, but with a core around the outside that was not soft. I did have a remflex blow out on me (Remember, turbo back pressure in the exhaust) so do I try them?

header gaskets.jpg

Here's what the crush looks like with the Earl's

header hasket crush.jpg

And, my 2 year old Costco battery died.
Most likely because I ignored it(and the truck) in the garage all winter.
Anyway, I tried multiple times charging it, within 2 days it would be below 70% capacity.
I remember 4pointslow saying that the AGM's do not corrode the battery terminals and how much he likes them.
Long story short, I found a way to order a battery out of province at a great deal and only pay one tax with free shipping. So, back went the battery for a full refund (I love Costco warranty). Thank you Costco.
So, for another $150.00 I now have a yellowtop. Thanks 4pointslow. lol

Battery.jpg

Back