Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3

Care to share from where you received this offer? Is this open to everyone or just a one-off deal?
Not sure about everyone, deal is from Russia. The other thing is that this SYNC 3 is Europe's one and from my experience with SYNC 2 they used to be different for Europe and America, not sure about SYNC 3 (might be the same)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a new Sync 3 APIM w/Nav on the way and will document on the install process on my 2016 Platinum when it arrives

I would love to have sync 3 but 2k without labor seems a bit crazy. There is also a substantial risk involved with no Ford support. I have a magnetic phone Holder on my vent if I want to use android auto via bluetooth. Maybe it's a bit more responsive but I am not surfing the Web with it. I am a new Ford owner and I was expecting MFT to be way worse than it is. I think it's pretty decent once you learn how to use it. Interested to see how the upgrades go though!

The upgrade actually works very well. infotainment and 4dtech both sell complete sets but it is MUCH cheaper to organize your own. (ie: I paid well under 1K doing my own...)

You will need Forscan to do the apim programming but it is pretty much plug and play. I paid a member of the fusion forums to do my programming configuration, then i just needed to load it with an obd2 dongle that supports MS-CAN
Downside: I bought the wrong screen when I did it, turns out Ford uses two different types of mounts: One for recessed and one for flat.
The recessed is for Edge/MKX/Explorer/F150/F250/F350, the standard is for Fusion/Focus/etc

You will also need the newer usb ports from the latest explorer if you want CarPlay, but most likely won't need it for Android Auto.

The upgrade actually works very well. infotainment and 4dtech both sell complete sets but it is MUCH cheaper to organize your own. (ie: I paid well under 1K doing my own...)

You will need Forscan to do the apim programming but it is pretty much plug and play. I paid a member of the fusion forums to do my programming configuration, then i just needed to load it with an obd2 dongle that supports MS-CAN
Downside: I bought the wrong screen when I did it, turns out Ford uses two different types of mounts: One for recessed and one for flat.
The recessed is for Edge/MKX/Explorer/F150/F250/F350, the standard is for Fusion/Focus/etc

You will also need the newer usb ports from the latest explorer if you want CarPlay, but most likely won't need it for Android Auto.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I used to watch Paladin in Have Gun Will Travel. A great show. Ran from 1957 - '63. ;)

Peter

MY 2016 explorer only has USB ports. No A/V inputs. I wonder if I would need to swap them out. An upgrade would be a nice option to have. Especially if Ford stops offering updates and newer phones start having pairing issues.That is my biggest fear with MFT. No rush to jump into anything yet.

MY 2016 explorer only has USB ports. No A/V inputs. I wonder if I would need to swap them out. An upgrade would be a nice option to have. Especially if Ford stops offering updates and newer phones start having pairing issues.That is my biggest fear with MFT. No rush to jump into anything yet.
SYNC3 ain't $2k or even $1k better than MFT. once you know what to expect from it and how to use it.

if you only have the usb you wont have to swap them for android auto. They will need to be swapped for carplay.

SYNC3 ain't $2k or even $1k better than MFT. once you know what to expect from it and how to use it.

Yeah, MFT touch is fine. I have had no issues with it . Android Auto actually has an app for your phone which is enough for me. Not sure why apple does not come out with one for CarPlay on the iphone. I use it in my 2008 honda also with a bluetooth converter in the aux jack. I can use voice commands for texts phone calls ect... Works great.

Good afternoon guys, today I installed the Sync 3, in less than an hour, plug and play, I have in my limited package 301 A, I send them my VIN and they sent me the correct APIM, everything works, air conditioners Dual, , Parking assistance, ambient light and the Android car, it was worth the wait, I am very happy, instead of changing a vehicle, change a radio and I am in 2017, I recommend, ah and low price, in the 2016 is Change the hub usb, also plug and play, the change is from day to night, greetings

Good afternoon guys, today I installed the Sync 3, in less than an hour, plug and play, I have in my limited package 301 A, I send them my VIN and they sent me the correct APIM, everything works, air conditioners Dual, , Parking assistance, ambient light and the Android car, it was worth the wait, I am very happy, instead of changing a vehicle, change a radio and I am in 2017, I recommend, ah and low price, in the 2016 is Change the hub usb, also plug and play, the change is from day to night, greetings

Thanks for your experience. A parts list and any instructions might be useful should any of us try it also.

If it is 2016 no parts, the order brings the screen and Apim, USB converters to use the Android Car, a GPS antenna and a connector to change USB converter that is not used in 2016, all plug and play, comes With the last update of the system Sync 3, for the 2016 all in less than an hour, greetings

If it is 2016 no parts, the order brings the screen and Apim, USB converters to use the Android Car, a GPS antenna and a connector to change USB converter that is not used in 2016, all plug and play, comes With the last update of the system Sync 3, for the 2016 all in less than an hour, greetings

Are you able to get future updates?

Sync 3 received this in the last update, it connects to wi fi and brings update options, but I would not know if they can be executed in future, I am translating from Spanish to English, maybe there are errors, with rlacion at the price I mentioned that Decreased in relation to months ago, but it is still high, for my worth, greetings

OK then, it fixes some potential bugs. Thanks for that. I was curious about what this version did so, I attempted a search to find out and stumbled across something unexpected. A way to upgrade to sync 3 for previous Explorer models. Pretty spendy though. I'm not sure it's been posted before but, even if it has, no reason no to put up another reminder:

https://www.4dtech.com/15-16-ford-explorer-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/

I've already been planning on doing this at somepoint on my fusion. Doing this conversion is a lot cheaper than buying yet another Fusion just to gain that one lats missing feature I want.
If you can find the parts on your own you can do it all for under $1k, but you gotta do the work to source the parts from salvage yards.

OK then, it fixes some potential bugs. Thanks for that. I was curious about what this version did so, I attempted a search to find out and stumbled across something unexpected. A way to upgrade to sync 3 for previous Explorer models. Pretty spendy though. I'm not sure it's been posted before but, even if it has, no reason no to put up another reminder:

https://www.4dtech.com/15-16-ford-explorer-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/

Sheesh.. $2,100 with NAV.. and it has to use a dash antenna?? I'd love to have sync 3 in my 15 F350 platinum but daammmnnnn....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sheesh.. $2,100 with NAV.. and it has to use a dash antenna?? I'd love to have sync 3 in my 15 F350 platinum but daammmnnnn....

My thoughts exactly. I have a 2015 Ex LTD and if the price was around $1000 I would consider it. So I will just keep chugging along with Sync2.

Back