Oil Change interval | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

The Amsoil filter is as I remember superior in that it filters down to 10 microns. Typical filters only filter to 20 microns, if it makes a difference. Keeping synthetic oil clean is paramount as the dirt will allow more blow by at the cylinder rings. Go to the Amsoil web site to verify this.

Well gents I've been reading all the oil change posts with interest and especially this one.

You see, I have about 400 kms on my new Explorer and so I'm researching what I will be doing going forward in terms of oil changes etc.

I used to do oil changes at home but I think I'll bring it to the dealer nowadays... having said, that they have confirmed that I can bring my own products ( oil and filter) and they would install and only charge for labour...

I've also learned from this forum and confirmed elsewhere that the Ford oil filters are very good.

The reason to bring it in to have the dealer do the oil change is to have a record of intervals in case that ever comes up way down the road.

In any case, back to the point. The manual states to use regular oil or full synthetic... which isn't really 100% synthtic but is called full synthetic and starts off with a base of crude oil with synthetic additives .... ie mobile1, penzoil platinum, Castrol etc.

As I understand these are different than real 100% synthetic that is made entirely of synthetic compounds....ie Amsoil, Motul, Purple whatever etc.

So I'm considering amsoil 5w20(as per manual ) 100% synthetic oil ...,.question is this...,.would using an Amsoil oil filter that is more efficient than most filters including Ford's void any warranties?

I ask this because it may be that the Amsoil oil filter
Being as efficient as it is, may actually slow down the oil flow to the rest of the engine causing the engine to run on less oil circulating throughout..do you think this may be happening?

By the way the Amsoil oil passes the ford specs but there is no mention if the oil filter passes ford specs.

Do you think I should just stick to the Ford filter that is designed to run on regular and at best on full synthetic but not 100% synthetic?

I've sent an email to Amsoil to see what they say and will contact ford or dealer to find out as well.., what do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

During the factory-warranty period, I'd recommend using Motorcraft (Ford) oil filters. If you're using motor oil that meets Ford specs and a filter that's specified by Ford, then there can be no argument from the warranty people in the (highly unlikely) event of a lubrication-related engine issue -- assuming you adhere to recommended oil-change intervals. The standard Motorcraft FL-500S oil filter has a silicone anti-drainback valve (that's what the "S" suffix on the part number means), and it is a very good filter for the money.

When your warranty expires, then you can experiment with oil filters that may be better than the Motorcraft FL-500S. Just one man's opinion.

In any case, back to the point. The manual states to use regular oil or full synthetic... which isn't really 100% synthtic but is called full synthetic and starts off with a base of crude oil with synthetic additives .... ie mobile1, penzoil platinum, Castrol etc.

As I understand these are different than real 100% synthetic that is made entirely of synthetic compounds....ie Amsoil, Motul, Purple whatever etc.
Interesting reading:

https://www.pca.org/news/2015-11-02/synthetic-word-relates-motor-oil

During the factory-warranty period, I'd recommend using Motorcraft (Ford) oil filters. If you're using motor oil that meets Ford specs and a filter that's specified by Ford, then there can be no argument from the warranty people in the (highly unlikely) event of a lubrication-related engine issue -- assuming you adhere to recommended oil-change intervals. The standard Motorcraft FL-500S oil filter has a silicone anti-drainback valve (that's what the "S" suffix on the part number means), and it is a very good filter for the money.

When your warranty expires, then you can experiment with oil filters that may be better than the Motorcraft FL-500S. Just one man's opinion.
That's exactly what I'm leaning towards... thanks for your input!

Thanks.... yes, interesting reading....amazing how secretive all this is and there are no real clear cut winners and available proof.... seems one product can be better in one aspect and another in something else and the third in yet something else....we can only do so much research... and as this isn't our daily jobs we have to count on each other's experience and opinions.

I'm less concerned with the type of oil I use as I am with the length of time between changes. I'm having my oil changed this week at about 5500 miles. The IOLM shows 45% remaining...do the math, it wants me to go 10,000 miles. I'm not going that long, as the oil looks very dark and was down a little over 1/2 quart, when I checked it on Sunday. I topped it off, and am getting our mechanic to change it Friday. I still contend that the IOLM is bogus, and 5,000 is a good change interval. BTW, I have the 2.3L Ecoboost.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I'm less concerned with the type of oil I use as I am with the length of time between changes. I'm having my oil changed this week at about 5500 miles. The IOLM shows 45% remaining...do the math, it wants me to go 10,000 miles. I'm not going that long, as the oil looks very dark and was down a little over 1/2 quart, when I checked it on Sunday. I topped it off, and am getting our mechanic to change it Friday. I still contend that the IOLM is bogus, and 5,000 is a good change interval. BTW, I have the 2.3L Ecoboost.

I have a 2.3 Ecoboost and use Amsoil. I have 18000 miles on the vehicle. I ran my last oil change out to 8000 miles and sent an oil sample to Blackstone. They reported my TBN was 3.4 and suggested I could go safely to 10000.
Have used Amsoil for years and usually changed at 12000 but this is the first time with a turbo so I will cut them back.

Thanks guys, my driving may fall under the severe category with many short trips so I have always been changing the oil at about 5000 kms which in fact is in fact just over 3100 miles... hmmm didn't realize it was that few miles till now.... guess I forgot as Canada switched to metric so, so many years ago when I was a kid....

So now I'm thinking, maybe I'll stretch that out to 7500 Kms.

Which one of the amsoil oil products do you guys use... the OE, the mid level or the extended militate one?

That's fine if it makes you feel better. Why do you think the OLM is "bogus"? There is plenty of documentation of how they work, its not some "scam". If you think about today's cars and how different they are than your dads car longer intervals make sense. Consumer Reports recommends sticking to the Manufacturers recommendations.

*SN rated oils, synthetics and top of the line oil filters are clearly better
*Modern engines actually run cooler and OHC engines are more efficient
*Transmissions with 6+ speeds deliver power at lower RPM's. Our Dodge Caravan at 60 mph turns 1800 RPM's. Explorer is in the 2000 range. 30 years ago that easily would have been in the 3000's.

Lastly when was the last time you heard of someone needing a valve job or saw a car with smoke pouring out of the exhaust pipe? Cars easily make 200,000 with a minimum of care.

Extended mileage one....damn the auto correct features on our phones

What does your oil analysis say?

First Oil/Filter change will be done at 5000km. All others at about 12,000km intervals. All at the Dealer. If it's good enough for Ford, it's good enough for me.
As far as the PTU fluid change goes, I wont wait till what ford recommends and will change it every 2 years.

If the OLM was bogus, Ford wouldn't recommend using it. If their system is telling you when to change your oil, and you follow it, it would be nearly impossible for them to deny a warranty claim on the engine, unless you ran it low.

Obviously, it's your vehicle, and your money to waste on oil changes, but considering the oil companies themselves are advertising once a year oil changes, 10k isn't that big of a stretch.

Thanks guys, my driving may fall under the severe category with many short trips so I have always been changing the oil at about 5000 kms which in fact is in fact just over 3100 miles... hmmm didn't realize it was that few miles till now.... guess I forgot as Canada switched to metric so, so many years ago when I was a kid....

Which one of the amsoil oil products do you guys use... the OE, the mid level or the extended militate one?
Ford dealerships, actually recommends 8k km or 6 months.
I'm following the OLM and nearly reaching 10k km since my last oil change and the OLM is showing 35%.
I'm already over the suggested 8k km and just under 6 months and fully comfortable to follow the OLM.

I'm following the OLM and nearly reaching 10k km since my last oil change and the OLM is showing 35%.
I'm already over the suggested 8k km and just under 6 months and fully comfortable to follow the OLM.
My dealership also suggested the same interval. I think it likely has more to do with sales than anything else. In any case I follow the 6 month interval since it comes close to falling in line with my seasonal wheel/tire changeovers. Had 2533 km (1575 mi) on the vehicle and IOLM was at 60%. Regular 5W-30 and filter.

My dealer recommends oil changes every 5000 km. Manual calls for every 16,000 (light duty), so who am i to argue with ford's requirements. Even at 12,000 I'm way to soon. Dealers may just try to drum up business with unnecessary oil-change intervals

My dealer recommends oil changes every 5000 km. Manual calls for every 16,000 (light duty), so who am i to argue with ford's requirements. Even at 12,000 I'm way to soon. Dealers may just try to drum up business with unnecessary oil-change intervals
I'm being careful here, as to not label all dealerships as a whole; but the excuse I heard from one of the dealership, is that we should follow the extreme OCI; as we get harh winters...LMAO!

While it wasn't Ford, I've seen dealerships have recommended services on their board that the vehicle manufacturer didn't suggest ever being done. In that case, it was based on the service department's experience, and was really needed.

Dealers are almost always going to suggest things that make them money. They'd be stupid not to. If they can convince you to change your oil, with them, twice or three times as often as actually necessary, why wouldn't they? You can always say no.

Unfortunately, the same is also often true of the non-OEM chains, like Firestone. I can say that having worked for them. It's technically against Firestone company policy to recommend things too early, or that aren't necessary, or it was 10 years ago, but some of them are really bad about it. I had managers pushing me to recommend tires with over 5/32 left, on a tire that starts at 11/32, and many other things.

My old Jeep dealer only tried to screw me once, and that was a service advisor problem. He didn't last long. I complained to the service manager, the charge was taken off, and that was that.

I use Signature oil with an Amsoil filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First Oil/Filter change will be done at 5000km. All others at about 12,000km intervals. All at the Dealer. If it's good enough for Ford, it's good enough for me.
As far as the PTU fluid change goes, I wont wait till what ford recommends and will change it every 2 years.

I figured the oil change interval was extended by factories for more then a couple reasons.
1. Better oil products and filtering agents
2. Better engineering on internals of ther engine as well as less pollutants mixing with the oil.
So here you have cleaner oli running in better engines but does this really mean the oil will not breakdown any sooner? With partial synthetics yes. Full synthetics the same. 100% synthetics not so much. 100% synthetics are DI-Ester...two molecule v.s carbon based Tri-ester 3 molecule lubricants. The carbon breaks down these molecules. Synthetics do not. To me full synthetics may have some breakdown. I am not a chemist. As I said "More then a couple reasons"

It would not surprise me at all it there were not some value added to the oils time because the WORLD need less used motor oil in it's environment. Without saying it... ok it's greener.

Back