Oil Change interval | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

I purchased a used 2015 Sport with 12k miles from a Ford dealer. The dealer changed the oil before delivery. 5000 miles later I changed the oil out of habit. OLM said 50% left. I sent a sample to Blackstone for a baseline. They said the oil was good for at least 3000 more miles.
I changed the oil next at 7000 miles and sent a sample to Blackstone. Results were nearly identical to the 5000 mile sample.
I then waited for the OLM to request a change. OLM came on with 5% life remaining and 9650 miles on the oil. I changed the oil and sent a sample to Blackstone. They said the oil was perhaps good to 10k miles. Besides the short life left in the oil, the metals, viscosity, etc, were close to the previous samples.

Seems to me the OLM works as advertised and is saving me $$ by less frequent change intervals. Oil used is Mobil 1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased a used 2015 Sport with 12k miles from a Ford dealer. The dealer changed the oil before delivery. 5000 miles later I changed the oil out of habit. OLM said 50% left. I sent a sample to Blackstone for a baseline. They said the oil was good for at least 3000 more miles.
I changed the oil next at 7000 miles and sent a sample to Blackstone. Results were nearly identical to the 5000 mile sample.
I then waited for the OLM to request a change. OLM came on with 5% life remaining and 9650 miles on the oil. I changed the oil and sent a sample to Blackstone. They said the oil was perhaps good to 10k miles. Besides the short life left in the oil, the metals, viscosity, etc, were close to the previous samples.

Seems to me the OLM works as advertised and is saving me $$ by less frequent change intervals. Oil used is Mobil 1

Yes it does work as advertised. You will just get some people who will always call BS on things because that is what they like to do. Many have sent oil samples out and not one has reported that their oil was junk and needed to be changed far sooner then the IOLM.

Even on my super duty, I have had oil change time frames vary by over 1,000 miles depending on whether I've been towing in the summer or just casually driving in the winter. It has ranged from 6,200 - 7,400 miles per oil change with all samples being shown to last approximately 8,300 miles.

It DOES work.

And for the earlier comment of "the oil was black".. that's what oil does. Hell, I can put 13 quarts of fresh full synthetic in my F350 and it will be black within a few hundred miles.

Thanks for sharing regarding the IOLM....

Ford dealerships, actually recommends 8k km or 6 months.
I'm following the OLM and nearly reaching 10k km since my last oil change and the OLM is showing 35%.
I'm already over the suggested 8k km and just under 6 months and fully comfortable to follow the OLM.
My dealer recommended the same ..,,

My dealer recommended the same ..,,
Another funny thing about this, is that they recommend the same OCI; regardless if running with conventional or synthetic oil.
I posed the question, as I use synthetic and was told the intervals stays the same and the price difference is for better protection. LMAO.

Another funny thing about this, is that they recommend the same OCI; regardless if running with conventional or synthetic oil.
I posed the question, as I use synthetic and was told the intervals stays the same to increase their profits. LMAO.

FTFY

I have mixed feelings on the IOLM.

In my Fusion Energi it always estimates out to 20,000 miles regardless of how much EV vs. ICE miles there are. That's normal by the way, everyone's Energi calculates out to that amount. My last change was 15,000 miles and the IOLM said 25% remaining. Honestly, if the ICE ever blows up I'm afraid they'll push back on me because of that.

Anyway, for the Explorer.I just dropped $50k on this vehicle so we'll be doing 5,000 mile intervals just to be on the safe side. If I go 1k or whatever over then no big deal, but I just won't make a habit of it.

Working as a tech for 22 years at a Chevrolet dealership and the last 17 at a Motorsports dealership, I've changed my oil change interval recommendations a bit over the years. Coming from a generation of chronic oil changers who used to change my oil at 1000&2000 miles initially, and then every 2000 miles, I now change initially at 2500&5000 then every 5000 after that.

I'm still changing my own oil and filter. Also tire rotations and I'll be changing the PTU oil myself. How many of you do your own oil changes these days? I just feel better knowing it's done properly, and lessons the risk of lot damage taking my vehicles in to the dealer or anywhere else for that matter.

I'm still changing my own oil and filter. Also tire rotations and I'll be changing the PTU oil myself. How many of you do your own oil changes these days? I just feel better knowing it's done properly, and lessons the risk of lot damage taking my vehicles in to the dealer or anywhere else for that matter.
At around $60.xx for sythetic+filter, it's practiaclly the same cost if I bought the oil and filter myself; so it's a no brainer to get it done at the dealership.
Unfortunately, I want to change mine this weekend (OLM at 25%), but most dealerships are booked for two weeks (seasonal tire change over) and I will have to do it myself and wwap in the all-season tires.

I used to and wish i had build my shop higher then 10 feet, so i could use a hoist.
Not sure about the EX yet, but i had both of my Daughters vehicles in my driveway at Easter and noticed the lower deflectors had several screws missing on both vehicles (hanging down), which is kind of odd and makes me wonder if they just don't bother putting them back in after the oil-change. I get the part where those deflectors a re a pain, but we shouldn't have to babysit the work they do. ( one has oil changes done at a dealer)

After having dealers and quick lube shops screw up oil changes I will always do it myself.

But back when I was having someone else do it I would crawl under my vehicle and check things out along with checking the oil level before I even got into my vehicle to drive it off of the lot. You would be surprised at what you might find if you do this. I have found wrenches and rags, oil level a couple of quarts low and loose oil drain plugs.

Remember that once you drive it off of their lot you almost don't have any recourse if something is wrong and even the dealers only hire minimum wage people to do the oil changes.

Ever since the neighborhood 66 station crossthreaded the drain plug on the oil pan of my '63 Chevy when I was in college 50 years ago, I have been changing my own oil. I was at Walmart just last night verifying that they sold the Motorcraft FL-500S filter and with six quarts of synthetic the total would be around $38.

After finding this video I realized it will be easier changing the oil and filter on the Explorer than it is on my Honda Element.

I always change the oil and filter on every car I own. I'm a car "nut" and I'm fortunate to have a lift in my barn. It's quick and easy for me to get a car up on the lift and do a thorough inspection and tire rotation while the old oil is draining. I enjoy doing my own maintenance, and I know it's always done correctly.

The Ecoboost Explorers have a cooling duct that must be removed before changing the oil and filter. Taking it off is easy, but putting it back and making sure the fasteners are secure requires some finesse. You can see the cooling duct and how it obscures the oil drain plug in this photo taken when my Explorer was on the lift:

DSC_3816_zpsocsmbrsa.jpg

I posed the question, as I use synthetic and was told the intervals stays the same and the price difference is for better protection. LMAO.
My dealer told me the OCI was 5k for conventional and to follow the OLM for semi-synthetic or full synthetic. I use semi and follow the OLM.

My dealer told me the OCI was 5k for conventional and to follow the OLM for semi-synthetic or full synthetic. I use semi and follow the OLM.
Yup, no consistency at all.

I always change the oil and filter on every car I own. I'm a car "nut" and I'm fortunate to have a lift in my barn. It's quick and easy for me to get a car up on the lift and do a thorough inspection and tire rotation while the old oil is draining. I enjoy doing my own maintenance, and I know it's always done correctly.

The Ecoboost Explorers have a cooling duct that must be removed before changing the oil and filter. Taking it off is easy, but putting it back and making sure the fasteners are secure requires some finesse. You can see the cooling duct and how it obscures the oil drain plug in this photo taken when my Explorer was on the lift:

DSC_3816_zpsocsmbrsa.jpg

How I envy you Sir...

I just had my first oil service at 7500km (8 months)... Was supposed to be 8k or Feb, so I guess I split the difference.

Basically it's oil changes twice a year or every 8k km (5k miles), whatever happens first. And because it's a new car and I have an extended warranty, I need to respect the timing of it all. And I know I could save money doing it myself, going to a different shop, or stretching out the intervals, but I'd rather have everything done at the same dealer I purchased my car, so that if anything does go wrong, I'll have no issues, so as long as I keep to schedule. Dealer charges me $103 CDN... not overly expensive for synthentic changes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just had my first oil service at 7500km (8 months)... Was supposed to be 8k or Feb, so I guess I split the difference.

Basically it's oil changes twice a year or every 8k km (5k miles), whatever happens first. And because it's a new car and I have an extended warranty, I need to respect the timing of it all. And I know I could save money doing it myself, going to a different shop, or stretching out the intervals, but I'd rather have everything done at the same dealer I purchased my car, so that if anything does go wrong, I'll have no issues, so as long as I keep to schedule. Dealer charges me $103 CDN... not overly expensive for synthentic changes.
Yeah, you bought a 3rd party warranty and have to follow their guidelines.
Those with Ford's standard and ESP warranty, can politely tell the dealer where to go; as the manualy supersedes anything they try to feed us.

Back