How rare are oxford white explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How rare are oxford white explorer?

My wife drives an 01 explorer. Last week someone backed into her in a parking lot and mangled up the passenger front door pretty good. The other drivers insurance is taking responsibility to fix it. The quote we got from the body shop was $1800. I am thinking if I can find a matching door pretty easy I can swap it on and pocket a few hundred bucks in the process. Is this a fairly common color and trim package in this era explorers?

Here is the door for reference. Everything still functions perfectly fine. Just looks horrible,

33853702966_4ca796acfd_c.jpg
20170407_083556 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen a few white ones in the junkyard. Not sure about "Oxford white" though.

Even at that, getting a decent enough match would be about as easy as playing pick up sticks with your butt cheeks.
Meaning all oxford white is not equal.

So my first question to you is "How important is an exact or perfect color match " ?
Tell me that and we can go from there.

What's the color code?
I touched up a scrape in the bumper of Sarah's Ranger. Its a 2010 and I used touch up paint for my 1994. Its nearly the same color. I think Ford has used this color for many years, so you could get very close. Depends on how the wife feels about it more than anything else, I am guessing.
You could find a JY door and have it painted the right color, then install it yourself.

Www.car-part.com. I would rock a slightly off shaded white door for a few hundred bucks vs having a body shop source a door. It'll be red or blue if my luck was involved. Then repaint half the side of the truck just to have peeling clearcoat, chips showing under paint on replaced door and other issues a few years down the road.

Paint Code is YZ. As far as how perfect of a match I think close is going to be good enough. We decided to take the cash of $1800. I couldn't see spending that much to fix a door on a car I bought 4.5 years ago for $3200. There are a few other small dings and dents from the PO as well.

Tracy decided she would rather have parts for her Jeep. I plan to start the hunt soon for a new door.

Mine is.

Sarah's 2010 Ranger has the same paint code (YZ). My 94 Explorer has YO.

I don't think there would be more than one color white, and its the most common color. You might be able to find a door that is the same color fairly easy. Might have to restripe it, or buff the pin stripes off all together.

You got a rare wife there Matt; takes Jeep parts over body work.

Paint Code is YZ. As far as how perfect of a match I think close is going to be good enough. We decided to take the cash of $1800. I couldn't see spending that much to fix a door on a car I bought 4.5 years ago for $3200. There are a few other small dings and dents from the PO as well.

Tracy decided she would rather have parts for her Jeep. I plan to start the hunt soon for a new door.

If close is good enough that all is good. Keep in mind the difference could be "significant" and I know in this context "significant" is relative. Just know spot on pretty much ain't gonna happen.

Front door is a two man job, but is straightforward. I see nothing on there that would lead me to believe you would need hinges so I would definitely unbolt the hinges from the door as opposed to the hinges from the body. Doing it that way will make realignment quite a bit easier.

Let me know if you need anything else.

I was looking up touch up paint for the Explorer. Motorcraft paint codes YO, YZ and Z1 is the same bottle.

Let me know if you need anything else.

How about meet up for dinner sometime. I will be working an and off in Laurel and staying by BWI over the next few months. I am always down to meet more EF people.

I was looking up touch up paint for the Explorer. Motorcraft paint codes YO, YZ and Z1 is the same bottle.

Good to know. I haven't had a chance to start hunting for a new door yet.

How about meet up for dinner sometime. I will be working an and off in Laurel and staying by BWI over the next few months. I am always down to meet more EF people.

Ummm, yeah, that could happen. ( You do know I got rid of my Xplorer like five years ago right ? ) ( Damn I miss that truck ) I am close to BWI. There is an amazing BBQ joint I can take you to. ( www.mission-BBQ.com )

Back