Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 114 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
blwnsmoke is only pointing out that it's general convention not to use caps, it denotes screaming. No need to use thinly veiled profanity...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For your information my husband has put a gas monitor in my vehicle that he has to use at work. It went off every time during hard acceleration.

I never said they don't go off inside the vehicles. I said that none have reported unsafe levels on here.

Just for fun(and to see if I have any noticeable smell), I ran my Ex for about 5 miles/minutes in recirculation mode on the freeway and didn’t notice any smell.

At the end of that 5 minutes, I took a cloverleaf to go to the next freeway and romped on(WOT) it from about 20mph to about 80. I may have smelled a little exhaust, but it was hard to tell if I actually smelled something or just in my head. I kept it on Recirc for a few more minutes and didn’t notice any change.

I had the front/rear fans set on high and front temp set to 70F and rear set to the middle.

For your information my husband has put a gas monitor in my vehicle that he has to use at work. It went off every time during hard acceleration.
Can you please get me the part number/manufacturer of this monitor?

Someone on here mentioned that there have not been reports of unsafe levels of carbon monoxide inside the cabin. I looked at a website on carbon monoxide and it said: 10 mg/m3 or 8.73 ppm = max 8-hour avg. CO level allowed by WHO and the European Commission.
So that person is right in that after all three TSBs were done on our Ex, we get 9 ppm only when accelerating and the exhaust smell comes inside, but the cabin is not at 9 ppm of carbon monoxide continuously.
Therefore the inside of the cabin does not register unsafe levels of carbon monoxide.
So when my wife gets sick as the inside of the cabin goes to 9 ppm carbon monoxide while driving her $44,000 Ex, and she has to open the windows; I tell her "hey its not at an unsafe level for 8 hours continuously so your OK!

On a brighter note, Ford CEO Mark Fields got a 19% pay increase to $22.1 million dollars for 2016. Keep up the good work Mark.

Someone on here mentioned that there have not been reports of unsafe levels of carbon monoxide inside the cabin. I looked at a website on carbon monoxide and it said: 10 mg/m3 or 8.73 ppm = max 8-hour avg. CO level allowed by WHO and the European Commission.
So that person is right in that after all three TSBs were done on our Ex, we get 9 ppm only when accelerating and the exhaust smell comes inside, but the cabin is not at 9 ppm of carbon monoxide continuously.
Therefore the inside of the cabin does not register unsafe levels of carbon monoxide.
So when my wife gets sick as the inside of the cabin goes to 9 ppm carbon monoxide while driving her $44,000 Ex, and she has to open the windows; I tell her "hey its not at an unsafe level for 8 hours continuously so your OK!

On a brighter note, Ford CEO Mark Fields got a 19% pay increase to $22.1 million dollars for 2016. Keep up the good work Mark.

Sarcasm doesn't really help anything.

And Fields does not make $22.1 million dollars. His salary is 1.78 million + $2.7 million from an incentive plan.

The rest was stock options which fluctuates deoending on how ford does. When Ford has their 2nd best year ever, I would expect the CEO to get paid for it.

So $4.48 million paid is far from the $22.1.

Not to downplay the issue, but I don’t believe your wife is getting sick because of carbon monoxide.

She’s probably sick of the smell more than anything.

Sarcasm doesn't really help anything.

And Fields does not make $22.1 million dollars. His salary is 1.78 million + $2.7 million from an incentive plan.

The rest was stock options which fluctuates deoending on how ford does. When Ford has their 2nd best year ever, I would expect the CEO to get paid for it.

So $4.48 million paid is far from the $22.1.

When calculating a CEO's salary it's best to include all incentives such as stock options, etc.

04/04/16 Mark Fields, Director, President and CEO 319,730 Sell at $12.8328 per share. $4,103,031
04/04/16 Mark Fields, Director, President and CEO 438,000 Sell at $12.8178 per share. $5,614,196
04/04/16 Mark Fields, Director, President and CEO 1,182,341 Option Exercise at $7.55 per share. $8,926,675
03/04/16 Mark Fields, Director, President and CEO 153,672 Disposition at $13.59 per share. $2,088,402

Stillmarried is much accurate in stating Mark Field's annual 2016 compensation at around $22.1 million than $4.48 million.

Source: InvestorPoint

I cant count that high, but sure sounds like a ton of it, every year even....

When calculating a CEO's salary it's best to include all incentives such as stock options, etc.

04/04/16 Mark Fields, Director, President and CEO 319,730 Sell at $12.8328 per share. $4,103,031
04/04/16 Mark Fields, Director, President and CEO 438,000 Sell at $12.8178 per share. $5,614,196
04/04/16 Mark Fields, Director, President and CEO 1,182,341 Option Exercise at $7.55 per share. $8,926,675
03/04/16 Mark Fields, Director, President and CEO 153,672 Disposition at $13.59 per share. $2,088,402

Stillmarried is much accurate in stating Mark Field's annual 2016 compensation at around $22.1 million than $4.48 million.

Source: InvestorPoint

And what happens when stock drops? That amount us only good if he sold now. And if it goes up, he gets more. That is why I don't like taking into account that as the original post was made to sound that's what was deposited into his bank account.

And, Fields has been huge in getting Ford turned around and out of the recession. He should be paid for it.

And what happens when stock drops? That amount us only good if he sold now. And if it goes up, he gets more. That is why I don't like taking into account that as the original post was made to sound that's what was deposited into his bank account.

And, Fields has been huge in getting Ford turned around and out of the recession. He should be paid for it.

And what happens when stock drops?

Share price goes down. When stock options are issued, they are issued at a specific strike price and usually to a ten year term, vesting at 25% per year over the first four years. So he has ten years to either sell his stock options or exercise them per expiration date. In addition to having a lengthy period of time to sell his stock options, I’m fairly confident he also has a golden parachute should they ever want to nix his contract. So if his currently issued stock options go down, he has plenty of time, or about ten years, for them to get back in the black.

That amount us only good if he sold now. And if it goes up, he gets more. That is why I don't like taking into account that as the original post was made to sound that's what was deposited into his bank account.

I’m not sure what you are talking about here. In 2016 he cashed out a boatload of stock options, either be selling them, exercising them, or by disposition, to the monetary amount of about $20 million. And yes that $20 million is added to his salary in 2016 as part of his annual compensation. Since we are talking about annual compensation, he made well north of $20 million in 2016 from his salary and stock options, it’s in plain view. I can't tell you what amount he put into his bank account after taxes, but his 2016 annual compensation was $20 million plus, probably around $24 million.

And no else could have done this job with Ford Credit borrowing billions of dollars coupled with low interest rates and subprime car loans over eight and ten year periods as opposed the standard five year car loan period. Almost all auto manufacturers have done extremely well over the past five years or so. I’m sure he is talented, but everyone is replaceable. I also think the auto industry has peaked out and will soon face lots of challenges with low used car prices, in addition to some of these subprime car loans failing. They will certainly make lots on service.

This thread is on Bad or Burnt Exhaust, not on Mr. Fields' income.
Please stick to the topic. Thanks.

Peter

we have had the exhaust smell in the cab on WOT. I took it to the dealer last week because it is a CPO car, they said this wouldn't fall under the CPO warranty. They could not duplicate the issue however they did the hvac system update for me for 40$ and said if it comes back it will need the rest of the new TSB. The dealer said it would cost me 2500$+ out of pocket and to maybe get in touch with ford to see what they can do. What a joke

we have had the exhaust smell in the cab on WOT. I took it to the dealer last week because it is a CPO car, they said this wouldn't fall under the CPO warranty. They could not duplicate the issue however they did the hvac system update for me for 40$ and said if it comes back it will need the rest of the new TSB. The dealer said it would cost me 2500$+ out of pocket and to maybe get in touch with ford to see what they can do. What a joke
Your dealer is correct in that the issue is not listed as a covered item under the CPO warranty.

Peter

Worse and worse, my Explorer seems to be afflicted with this WOT issue. I'm taking it to NC in 2 weeks from NY, need to get this fixed fast or my vacation will be axed...

Anyone getting it with the 2.3L?

Your explanation is 100% correct from what I know and understand about emission systems. The issue then isn't the oil smell but toxic gases entering the passenger cabin. If oil fumes/smell are coming in than the rest of the stuff in the exhaust is also.
I have an Explorer XLT 2013 and whenever I accelerate more than regular a bad smell, fumes came inside the cabin. I have been dealing with the dalesr but they never fixed and they said it is normal, The dealer Fajardo Ford in Puerto Rico brought the Explorer many times for thiat issue, but never fixed. Now I received a "class action for this problem; in the US District Court , Southern District Florida",

So, an update on my life with the 2.3L.... changed gas stations, haven't had the problem since!

So, an update on my life with the 2.3L.... changed gas stations, haven't had the problem since!

I would not consider this a good thing, because changing the fuel or fuel source should not have any effect on physically changing your vehicle to where now all of the sudden there is no exhaust leak into your cabin. What you have done is brought up a very good point though, some owners may have no idea as to whether they have an exhaust leak into their cabin or not because of the type of fuel they use.

More specifically, carbon monoxide is a tasteless and odorless gas, so unless another exhaust constituent like sulfur dioxide (pungent type of odor), hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg type of odor), hydrocarbons (oil or gas type of odor), nitrogen oxides (sweet type of odor), etc., is giving you an indication via an odor, you would never know you have an exhaust leak into your cabin.

The only I know is that changing gasoline brands can affect the 'sulphur' or 'rotten egg' smell since there is no regulation in the amount of sulphur that can be contained in the gasoline so different brands may have different levels. I agree though, that I can't see how it would affect the exhaust smell which should be different.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not consider this a good thing, because changing the fuel or fuel source should not have any effect on physically changing your vehicle to where now all of the sudden there is no exhaust leak into your cabin. What you have done is brought up a very good point though, some owners may have no idea as to whether they have an exhaust leak into their cabin or not because of the type of fuel they use.

More specifically, carbon monoxide is a tasteless and odorless gas, so unless another exhaust constituent like sulfur dioxide (pungent type of odor), hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg type of odor), hydrocarbons (oil or gas type of odor), nitrogen oxides (sweet type of odor), etc., is giving you an indication via an odor, you would never know you have an exhaust leak into your cabin.
I don't know about you, but I have yet to smell odorless exhaust fumes...LOL

Back