Oil Change interval | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

How many miles before its time to change full-sythetic oil? every 10K or 15k?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles before its time to change full-sythetic oil? every 10K or 15k?
Those that sent their oil for analysis at Blackstone Labs, showed 10K miles easily.

Those that sent their oil for analysis at Blackstone Labs, showed 10K miles easily.
10k miles easily... then ok to last to 15k miles? Amsoil last for 25k miles. I had used it on my f150 years ago and it last 25k miles and the oil was light brown when I changed it.

Yeah, you bought a 3rd party warranty and have to follow their guidelines.
Those with Ford's standard and ESP warranty, can politely tell the dealer where to go; as the manualy supersedes anything they try to feed us.
Yep, just playing it safe. I think the only time I'd actually run into a problem is if my engine were to blow and I missed an oil change by 3-4 months. $200/year for two oil changes isn't a big deal for keeping my peace of mind.

But yeah, if this was used and I had no warranty, I'd probably only do a synth oil change once a year (like my wife's CRV).

Yep, just playing it safe. I think the only time I'd actually run into a problem is if my engine were to blow and I missed an oil change by 3-4 months. $200/year for two oil changes isn't a big deal for keeping my peace of mind.

But yeah, if this was used and I had no warranty, I'd probably only do a synth oil change once a year (like my wife's CRV).

I have 5 oil changes left with the agreement with Ford dealership. After that I will change to Amsoil,

10k miles easily... then ok to last to 15k miles? Amsoil last for 25k miles. I had used it on my f150 years ago and it last 25k miles and the oil was light brown when I changed it.

If you value your warranty, you need to change it using Ford's requirements or better. Do not go over 10,000 miles on a change regardless of what oil you use. Ford states you need to change it by 10k.

The Ecoboost Explorers have a cooling duct that must be removed before changing the oil and filter.
My '17 Base model (non Ecoboost) has that "cooling duct".

I had read that the cooling duct was part of the tow package.

My '17 Base model (non Ecoboost) has that "cooling duct".

I did a search on this forum and couldn't find a definitive answer as to which Explorers have this "cooling duct" that needs to be removed when doing an oil change. Some say it's Ecoboost Explorers; others say it's both Ecoboost Explorers and those Explorers equipped with the factory towing option; and others claim the duct is installed on every Explorer of a certain model year.

The bottom line is that if your Explorer was equipped with this cooling duct, then check to be sure it has been replaced securely after an oil change. Here's a link to a thread peppered with examples of Explorer owners losing or missing their cooling duct after an oil change:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/lower-air-dam-intake-falls-off-help.342745/

The sad thing is that by the time that you crawl under your vehicle to make sure that everything is in place you might as well of done the oil change yourself.

I did a search on this forum and couldn't find a definitive answer as to which Explorers have this "cooling duct" that needs to be removed when doing an oil change. both Ecoboost Explorers and those Explorers equipped with the factory towing option;
I left in BOLD the correct answer to your question.

Peter

Whoa! Thanks for the link. Another good reason for doing your own oil changes or at least checking to make sure that scoop got put back properly after the oil was drained at a shop.

The sad thing is that by the time that you crawl under your vehicle to make sure that everything is in place you might as well of done the oil change yourself.

This is exactly the reason why I still do my own oil and filter changes on our vehicles, and why I passed on the maintenance plan. After working as a tech for 22 years at a GM dealership, I can tell you firsthand that it's a total crap-shoot every time you take your vehicle in. 20 techs. 5 are very conscientious and treat your vehicle like it's their own. 5 techs that are so so, and the other 10 I wouldn't let work on my lawn mower. Then you have the crash course quick lube just out of high school crew. No thanks. And independent repair shops are no different.

Ever since the neighborhood 66 station crossthreaded the drain plug on the oil pan of my '63 Chevy when I was in college 50 years ago, I have been changing my own oil. I was at Walmart just last night verifying that they sold the Motorcraft FL-500S filter and with six quarts of synthetic the total would be around $38.

After finding this video I realized it will be easier changing the oil and filter on the Explorer than it is on my Honda Element.

Seen that video on you tube as I was researching doing an oil change on my new explorer.

It's been about a decade since I've done my own oil changes and after doing a lot of reading here, watching videos, reading about various oil change intervals and diffrent synthetic oils, I have decided that I'll be doing my own oil changes again.

Simply put, this vehicle cost me a fortune and letting some apprentice who'd rather be out drinking with his buddies just doesn't sit well with me....don't get me wrong, I have seen good apprentices, and they do have to put in their time to move up the ranks, but for me, I'll do it myself and that includes switching tires from summer to winter.

Back to the video, yes, I have that cooling duct and have a naturally aspirated 3.5v6, but have the tow pkg..... and that guy found an elastic holding something under his truck and I have the same thing.... go figure.

In any case, Put the truck on ramps yesterday to see how that would work and yes, seems all of my stuff will work fine for the oil changes .

I've only put on 700 Kim's so far but already bought the oil filter and have decided Amsoil signature series will be the oil for my baby..., can't wait... feel like I'm 20 again.

One thing on doing your own oil changes on the Explorer, when you pull the plug be prepared for a heavy stream of hot oil. I have never seen a vehicle shoot it as far as these vehicles do.

One thing on doing your own oil changes on the Explorer, when you pull the plug be prepared for a heavy stream of hot oil. I have never seen a vehicle shoot it as far as these vehicles do.
Thanks for the heads up....

That's why you buy one of these... so you don't have to deal with removing the plug any longer. And you can even buy the hose that slides onto the nipple and run it directly into your oil pan.

https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-107...?ie=UTF8&qid=1493129365&sr=8-1&keywords=f107n

410Sbd4e-aL.jpg

That's why you buy one of these... so you don't have to deal with removing the plug any longer. And you can even buy the hose that slides onto the nipple and run it directly into your oil pan.

https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-107...?ie=UTF8&qid=1493129365&sr=8-1&keywords=f107n
I wonder if that would interfere with those Explorers that have the air duct? Not sure how much clearance they have but apparently they have to be removed to access the oil drain.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Sbd4e-aL.jpg
Looks convenient, but for me there's too much risk involved with the lack of security&simplicity compared to a standard drain plug. You can get really good at hitting the drain bucket. For starters place it so that one edge of the drain pan is just under the drain plug with the far edge away in the direction the oil shoots out. The first time you do this be ready to make a quick adjustment on the drain bucket's position. Wear nitrile gloves. Have plenty of paper towels or old rags available. On the filter-Back it off just enough to let the oil dribble out past the seal and return to completely remove it about 10 minutes later.

Back